Minelab Equinox - The Best All Around Detector I Have Ever Used!

I have been using an Equinox for some time now, and a few of my early posts on the subject were received with skepticism because of my over the top enthusiasm. More time has passed, and with Equinox now getting ready to find its way into the hands of the general public I decided it’s time to reflect and recap.

Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes the perfect detector. As someone who has been detecting for over 45 years now I certainly know what I want in a perfect detector. I like to partake in any type of detecting that exists, and so I want one detector that truly is as versatile as possible, with the least compromise possible. This is a complex and difficult task, because historically certain detecting tasks have been at odds with each other. In particular there has been a gap between detectors that are good at handling saltwater, yet which can also find tiny gold. In the past that meant I needed one detector to work in saltwater, and a different one for hunting micro jewelry on the dry beach or tiny gold nuggets in the goldfields.

The Minelab Equinox is, for me, the best all around metal detector I have ever used. It is not any one thing in particular, though if I had to name one thing it would be Multi-IQ. It is the real magic of Equinox, and is the reason that when I use an Equinox I know I am holding onto one of the most powerful VLF detectors ever made. I think Minelab has created something that has surprised even them as to how good it is.

In my case, despite what may seem over the top enthusiasm, the truth is I have been holding back. The Minelab Equinox is an extremely powerful VLF type detector, and I can’t think of anything I can’t do well with it. I would happily use a Equinox versus any other VLF machine and user anywhere in the world doing any type of detecting, and not worry I am being outgunned. Just the opposite in fact.

That’s not to say the Equinox is perfect - nothing is. Yet for this jaded detectorist it is as close as I have ever seen for my purposes, and why I have pretty much abandoned using anything else at this point. Because for me, the Minelab Equinox is the best all around do everything detector I have ever used.

I am honored to have been chosen to take part in this project and I want to thank Minelab both for that and for finally putting the detector in my hands that has only existed in my mind the last twenty years. 2018 really is poised to be the Year of the Equinox.

Steve Herschbach
DetectorProspector.com

8BAD14A6-432F-48FA-8906-78EC688F2F29.png

Thanks Steve for the comment on the Equinox.

I’m very excited to get the Equinox soon to see what it’s all about. Best of luck!

WOW! That's a powerful statement about the Equinox. Maybe I shouldn't have bit the bullet and bought the CTX too but my son and Grandson will end up with good detectors. 

I have never been sorry for buying any detector. 

After reading over the past months all these opinions on this detector I’m glad I have one on order.  Makes me wonder how a machine like the Gold Monster would excel if it had multi frequency using the higher frequencies.

As far as I know Gold Monster is the last truly new single frequency detector we will see from Minelab. I am not counting the recent refresh of the Go-Find series. Multifrequency / advanced processing is the future now, and I have no doubt a Multi-IQ based nugget detector would excel across the board. For a VLF - you always have to include that caveat when talking gold prospecting.

Thanks for all your efforts both on this forum and your work in helping bring the Equinox to market.. I sensed that very first early morning as I watched the drop at Detectival that the Equinox was going to be special.. I texted my dealer right then and ordered one.  I started selling off all my detectors immediately knowing the used market would soon get flooded when everyone figured it all out.  Thanks for running the best detector forum out there!

Bryan

My gut from the beginning was this is a winner. I was #1 on my dealers list, but, due to a family tragedy, he suspended his business. I'm 15th or 16th on another list and have paid in full. I can't wait to take it back to all my spots that had produced last year!!

Steve it takes guts to take a stand and speak so powerfully and passionately about a new metal detector especially when you consider the nature of various commentators and the usual furor raised around past Minelab releases. I have to agree with you, the moment I got my hands on the Equinox I knew I was using something special and remember thinking to myself "I hope Steve Herschbach has been involved in this detectors development, because this detector is exactly what he has always been asking for all these years". 

For me the highlight of my career was the 3 year development and then release of the GPZ 7000, to this day I still find myself smiling at the wonder of ZVT, in my case I'd waited 28 years for the detector to be developed, as far as I'm concerned the GPZ 7000 was made for me so can honestly relate to how you feel about the Equinox. Of course not everything is perfect with either detector and I'm sure we'll see even more beneficial changes in the time we have left to us as detectorists.

A very well put line in the sand Steve and as usual it comes with decency, decorum and balance, just one more example of why I hang around this forum. I know some will see this as a "Minelab praise fest" but the real people will know instantly the truth behind the passion and enthusiasm in your words.

JP