I'm Back..... Kind Of

Skate

As some of you know I underwent my second hip replacement 4 weeks ago at the ripe old age of 52 which has short circuited any detecting at all. Rehab has been going well though and I'm way ahead of where most folks are at this stage. I was able to ditch my walker after two days post surgery and have been since working up to taking a walk on the beach much less detect. All that changed today as I got a call from a young man who had lost his wedding ring on Saturday just on the north side of the Ventura Pier. He lost it in the dry sand and wondered if I could come out and help him find it. Since school is officially out for the summer I decided to throw caution to the wind and go. My concern was walking in the dry sand as a newly recovering hip doesn't like the variability of highs and lows that dry sand brings. When i met him he explained that he was putting sunscreen on his young son, took the ring off and placed it on his son's shirt. A moment later he got dive bombed by a group of seagulls hunting for a grubstake and a seagull took off with the shirt and sent the ring flying. He tried to find it but as you know gold sinks and the sand isn't your friend unless you have an Equinox 600!!

I drew a 20x20 box in the sand and proceeded to detect and bam, got a nice 20-22 solid sounding tone and into my scoop came this beautiful rose gold wedding ring. So I'm one for one on my first day back detecting. Truth be told the dry sand is a bit much for me right now so my batting average may remain 1.000 for a while as I can't see myself bending down to dig 50 plugs in a park yet but man it was great to get out and do some good finally. Those of you who know what it's like to find someone's lost jewelry know it's a great feeling and put's you on a high for the rest of the day so i'm going to hold to that for awhile. 

Best

Skate

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

Building up good Karma while you await the healing to finish.  Good to hear you're on the mend!

• The title was changed to I'm Back..... Kind Of

I know the feeling. Nothing like it when you find it for them. I found a class ring that was lost for 20 yrs and found a mans wedding band at a park. He said it saved his marriage.. 

Thanks for sharing your story....it was great !!  You have a great attitude !!

Be careful out there and fully recover soon. 

Superb, Skate!

Great to hear you are up and about, and even better to hear your story!  It may not have been MUCH swinging, but at least you got to swing a little, AND do a good deed in the process!

Steve

Nice going Skate. Wishing you a speedy recovery and some gold rings you get to keep soon.

strick

• 2 weeks later...

Yay for you Skate, recovery in many ways! It's thrilling to know you are progressing so well. Don't push it too hard (and I know that's something that will be ignored for the most part haha). 

Doing a good deed is one of the most powerful and healing things we can do for each other. Congratulations. I look forward to perhaps following through on what we talked about before your surgery.