No Doubt On This GPZ Opinion!

From http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t21298p30-the-gpzed-so-far#206926

"Now I know the GPZs performance,over that of the GPX 5000,aint some phenomenal increase,as was with the introduction of the SD 2000 compared to the days of VLF,but after 2 whole days of testing/prospecting and picking up targets of all sorts,over flogged ground,If anyone here were to tell me that the GPX 5000 is an overall better detector (performance wise than the GPZ 7000,less been given a poor working or faulty GPZ to compare it with) I can only say to them, "you've either got no mineralization in the ground,where your operating your 5000 over "whilst In Normal/General" or you'v got no grey matter functioning properly between your ears." - Kon

Details behind that opinion at http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t21298-the-gpzed-so-far#206677

Coming on the heels of this report http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t21243-3-gpz-s-in-the-field-for-a-week-review it gives me hope that even the knockers in Oz will be forced to accept reality at some point. The GPZ actually works.

Of interest also, author makes comment about knockers having no mineralisation ground or ........ I believe this early in my use the GPZ also has it over the 5000 in no or low mineralised ground. It is proving this to me in sandy creeks in my area which is a low mineralisation area. As for it not being as big a jump as the SD2000 over VLF, I feel that assertion may also be challenged in time. Only becoming involved in detecting forums recently, I am not aware, but is this normal this knocking of a new release?

Personally I wish Minelab only made one GPZ, mine!!! :D

Minelab has always faced criticism with every new model, most of it oddly enough coming from Australia. You would think there would be some pride in this upstart company from Australia putting the erstwhile U.S. leaders to shame but just the opposite.

I also think that my initial feeling that the GPZ had its biggest advantage over the GPX in bad ground may have been incorrect. That was before I started using the Normal ground setting much which is of course intended for low mineral ground. The results have been stunning to say the least.

Yeah well "we make Knockers better in OZ", certainly being OZ I`m not proud of this.

Anyway pushing the negative stuff aside, I am not sold on this massive change the PI`s brought being as big as "folklore" seems to make it. I kept going with a 1700 through until the 2100 was introduced, cheerfully picking up gold. Sure massive gains in depth but methinks more to do with PI`s capability of handling mineralisation much better.

VLF`s are harder to use in mineralisation, thus a lot of users did not or could not use them effectively. Probably the variety of settings on the 5000, also illustrates my belief. All to do with the user, the GPZ nearly removes this completely, it is so easy. But certainly will not be so for all, no product is. I am proud "We make our detectors better in OZ".

To me the difference between a VLF and PI is night and day. The difference between a GPX and a GPZ is more like morning and afternoon to continue the analogy.

I don't think anyone who has spent a good amount of time swinging a Z could debate that it isn't significantly more powerful than a GPX though. Especially pronounced where you can run the detector hot, which I imagine is much more common in the US than the bad AUS grounds which may be why the reviews are overall more positive stateside.

It's not all roses though, I think the Z has some serious flaws to compliment it's accolades after about 60 hours of swinging it. Most have been discussed by other people so in the interest of not "whinging" I'll refrain. But I will say I'm sitting here in front of a computer today in my trailer with a sore elbow and shoulder instead of detecting.

jasong,

I don`t think you`d be whinging if you were to speak of those flaws, the GPZ`s coil weight is the only negative I have noticed(other than the GPS`s lack of usefulness), and perhaps nothing can be done about that. I remember the SD`s garbage bin lid 18" coil. Some worked some failed early but they were heavy and awkward to use.. Coiltek, Nuggetfinder etc as well as Minelab, soon rectified that. Since the 2100 I have not used a VLF but I hear those who do and am going a wee back to the future there. But there is room for constructive criticism as much as there is for praise, and I do think Minelab handles the praise well but not so the criticism which probably has a wee to do with their Ozie knockers existence.

Price, weight, lack of accessory coils - actually lack of any accessories at all (batteries, scuff covers), no discrimination, possible issues with salt ground, roots.... Etc. The GPZ 7000 has flaws, most of them covered at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/725-reasons-not-to-get-a-minelab-gpz-7000/ but if anyone comes up with new ones please bring them up. That thread is the best place.

Steve,

To me if the GPZ is the forerunner the 2000 was for the 5000, what a detector the GPZ 10000 will be. I can only fault the GPS`s ineffectiveness and there I`m flogging a dead horse.