Wow…. What A Way To End 2018 Metal Detecting Year

Pulled 1 last really cool find before years end.  Went to a late 1800’s site and found a few keepers with the Equinox 800.  My favorite is this Pre WW1 military dog tag.  I don’t want to clean it up much more than is, but I think it says: MILTON P CROWE.  L   1ST CAVALRY.  If I understand it correctly, then the L is for Lieutenant.  1ST should be 1ST CAVALRY.  Also saved this US Cavalry crossed sabers Insignia Pin, a nice large non primer rifle casing, an old lead bullet, Eagle Coat Button and then another “whats it” do-dad.  It’s made of brass and has like a pull end with two guide lengths (sorry about my description, check the photo).  Any help of ID or knowledge in it is appreciated as well.  But the dog tag is the shits…

Anyone familiar with old military dog tags and how to research them, please email me the site. 

W1A.jpg

W1B.jpg

W1C.jpg

W1D.jpg

W1E.jpg

W1F.jpg

W1G.jpg

W1H.jpg

W1I.jpg

Great way to end the year! Definitely a base line to start the new year - congrats! 

Wow that dog tag is fabulous. I'll bet you were jumping up and down when that popped out of the ground!

strick

Nice site you're working there Gerry!  Never have found a dog tag, that's a good one! 

Happy New Year!
Cal

• The title was changed to Wow…. What A Way To End 2018 Metal Detecting Year
On 1/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

Nice site you're working there Gerry!  Never have found a dog tag, that's a good one! 

Happy New Year!
Cal

It is my first older style tag.  I've found a few of the modern ones, but this takes the cake.

Gerry,

Wow great find. I think I would attribute the "L" to "Company L", but I am no expert. Congratulations!!

BSG

Very nice finds Gerry. 

The do-dad whats-it.  Is there any remaining leather attached to the 3 things that look like rivets?  I’m guessing it might be a piece off a saddle??