Reno Chris

California Flooding?

106 posts in this topic

Thanks for clarifying Scott.  Looks like this event is half of what flowed in '97,  unless its risen since yesterday.

2 hours ago, Sourdough Scott said:

The picture of the Yuba is from 1997. It is all over Facebook .  

Well that's probably why I haven't seen it. Never been on facebook. Never plan to be on facebook. It is pretty darn impressive though.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, matt said:

Well that's probably why I haven't seen it. Never been on facebook. Never plan to be on facebook. It is pretty darn impressive though.

You may be missing out.  I post very little personal info on Facebook but I do buy and sell alot on a few auctions that are only on facebook.   

1997 (first photo) vs 2017 (second photo)

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0164.PNG

1 person likes this

It was wise of them to raise the bridge after '97 Looks like good prospecting weather in 2 days.

I don't see where it was raised in these pics?

Is there another pic?

I don't see where it was raised in these pics?

They put in another, second bridge and its higher. Traffic now goes on the second, higher bridge. They did not actually raise the old bridge.
I saw a shot of the confluence of the NF American and MF American taken this morning and it was amazing. water was maybe 10-15 feet below the road from Auburn to Forresthill. The water is normally 40 to 50 feet below the road. Steve - I think where we were panning there last spring would be under 25 to 30 feet of water.

Power has been out since last night. Including cell service .  Will be back later........

The water in '97 was nearly to the deck. this year it's 15' from the deck. Therefor they must have raised the bridge!

Egad! You folks should know by now to never take me seriously!

S Scott are you set for a generator? if needed I have several spares.

1 person likes this

Photo off google from Tuesday, at the riverside (back) of the carriage house inn, downieville.

IMG_0710.PNG

4 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By idahogold
      Latest News!  Cheers,Ig
      Today!
      2Days Ago:

• By idahogold
      Oroville dam Update! At 18:40 he shows ya his "goldpan"!  Cheers,Ig

• By Reno Chris
      I keep reading stuff printed in papers or on other media that is perhaps at best on the verge of sort of true. They are getting desperate for readers / viewers and seem to want to say dang near anything for eyeballs. I heard some funny stories at the GPAA show of folks trying to sneak into the construction area below the Oroville dam spillway - convinced there will be gobs of gold all around because they saw it on TV or in a newspaper. Here are a few recent story lines:
      "Gold hunters in the area tell the Chico Enterprise-Record the floods have "rearranged the rivers" and "move things around." That means gold veins that have been hidden for 200 years are suddenly exposed."
      "According to CBS San Francisco, the floods also swept gold out of abandoned mines and washed it downriver. "
      "While KCRA reports that gold can simply be picked off the ground following major flooding, the best prospecting will come in the summer months when the water has receded."
      C'mon gents! We need to head off to those hills if the gold can now just be picked up off the ground. No doubt gravels have been moved around, gold deposited into crevices and new paystreaks formed. But gold veins hidden since before the 49ers arrived now revealed? I'd guess there are not many. Gold washed out of abandoned mines? I'd guess not much. Gold can just be picked up off the ground? I am sure there are a few new sunbakers sitting around here and there, but not many. I do agree that the best prospecting will come in the summer months when the water levels go down and some good gold will be found, but the media is gone bonkers about saying anything to attract attention.
    • By tboykin
      LOL @Digger Bob making the most out of a big dam problem --- http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/butte/paradise-prospector-a-golden-opportunity-at-the-damaged-spillway/370298858
    • By Reno Chris
      A comparatively minor storm has just passed through, and although we are not at flood stage anywhere, all the rivers are rolling along at a fast clip with every little drainage flowing - even stuff that almost never has water. Small streams that are normally just a trickle are already full of water. Any good sized storm could bring another round of serious flooding because everything is pretty much full already. The ground has no capacity to absorb any more water.  The storm coming in late Sunday through Tuesday looks to be a fairly powerful and wet one. Been watching it on the weather forecast and every round of modeling seems like they are upping the amount of rain and the impact it will have. The forecast I look at is currently calling for over 2 inches in Reno and around 5 inches in Quincy.
      Caltrans is warning the Northern Sierra counties:  "there will be heavy rain and high snow levels resulting in increased likelihood of flooding of rivers and streams."