My Hunt Buddies Assessment Of His Equinox 800 Vs Explorer 2

On one hand it's great to see people of all walks have great compassion for metal detecting and metal detectors but on the other hand we have to realize it's just metal detecting and metal detectors. That said I hope I'm the only one in a 50 mile area that owns an Equinox. Just saying:cool:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yeah, we have a new ghost town site that really has me excited as well. Looong quad ride in and the weather has been a bit chilly here in sunny AZ. So we haven't done it yet.

It's nice that the Kruzer or Equinox may be able to replace the "combo" thing. Going in with one unit that can do it all will simplify things. I've  had to do the combo unit/ multiple coil thing for years now. I sold off all of my fast single frequency units... no more E-TRAC with a tiny coil plus whatever other SF unit combo. Just the Nox.

Dean

• Like 3

I read Tom's report, and my reaction is: I want that Explorer!  Seriously, though, his experience isn't that different from mine; just comes at it from the other direction. We're both after coins, not relics; but where I've tested the Equinox the most are a few very iron-filled sites (old rusty nails and other junk) that I'd pretty much given up on with my Etrac. There, the Equinox, with its stock coil, separates and "sees" things the Etrac can't, plain and simple. In a park setting, I do prefer the Etrac, for its more accurate FE/CO and depth numbers.  However, the Equinox seemed at least as deep there. (Some have said the Explorer II is deeper than the Etrac--I don't know.)  Anyway, if I were him, I would keep the Equinox. It will complement that Explorer in many situations, I think.

I would like to see how the Equinox does against the Kruzer. That's the kind of fast, modern, mid-priced machine the Equinox was designed to compete against, not Minelab's own high-end FBS machines.

I am the same . though I think the Explorer is deeper. I have always found the audio on the FBS better than the Terra and the Nox has Terra tones even if you can play with settings. And even though the Terra's I have had have found more coinage than any other machine. But I do like the Equinox even if I have to put the L plates back on .

Could not read all of the post , to small on my phone. Maybe later on the laptop.

On 3/23/2018 at 1:20 PM, MarXthespot said:

Thank you for keeping the signal/noise ratio high in this forum Steve.

Amen to that!

Anyway, though I fully enjoyed the description of how a master coin shooter painstakingly goes about his business, this entire discussion made me realize why the Equinox sets up well for me.  I don't just do one type of hunting as I hit the beaches for coins and jewelry and scenery :wink:, the parks for same, the farm fields and the old home sites for period coins and artifacts, freshwater streams for whatever and encounter salt to mild to hot soil conditions, hot sun, pouring rain, blowing snow, ocean waves and can bring the same detector every time...now.

Oh, and based on my experience with a bed o nails former home site feel I can get away without the 6" coil unless I am in very tight quarters.  In other words, I do not really see a need for the 6" coil solely for separation. 

Point is, one detector, one coil and 90%+ of my detecting needs are met.

• Like 2