• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been learning my grandfathers equinox 800 metal detector for the past couple of weeks and digging more trash than anything. I was back at it again in his back yard after watering the holes

Today we found out that the jar in which the coins are from is more rare than the coins themselves. There were only about 1,000 of the jars made before they made a glass bottle for their new oil

GB_Amateur, I took that idea and tried it outside, BIG MISTAKE, come to find out it was whale oil. That stuff has the whole neighborhood still stinking, and I hope that we will be able to so

Posted Images

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

It come up pretty good with a clean by the looks of it.

I would like to see if I can get it cleaner if possible, I think it would go great with some of the I H pennies that grandfather had found. The ground is always dry in that area even after a rain.

That's a nice looking coin, and I'd be suggesting not to try cleaning any more. Cleaning can be difficult at best with these GIIIR coins - where it it rare to see one out the ground looking so nice. Over here (UK) these are normally green with the surface detail a mass of small corroded craters, but every so often a nice one may turn up depending on the ground.

Nice find.

• Like 3

You've joined the 18th Century club so early in your detecting career!  (I haven't, yet.)  Very nice!  Your grandmother obviously lives in an historic site.  You (and your grandfather) have told us about the church that was there from long ago.  Maybe this cabin preceded it.

I agree with Stu that this coin looks quite nice as is.  Cleaning further will only drop its eye-appeal (to most).  'Patina' is something prized in collecting.  I'm sure your grandfather, who you've told us was involved in antiques, would agree.

• Like 4

That is older than any of mine coins,but at least Simon and me are in countries that are 200 years newer than USA with British occupation. 😏 That is a fantastic find. As for cleaning coins wait till you have a lot of them (which will not be long) then look at the dates and mint numbers and experiment on those that you are willing sacrifice, however a bit of water and soap once the dirt and grit have been removed is OK. Keep the legend going.

• Like 3

Well done. I wouldn't clean it any more than it is.

How deep was it? Thinking you may have some fringe targets that may not give you the best numbers so go by the size of the sound, look for the whispers.

• Like 3

Fantastic find Caleb,

I agree with the others! Do not clean it any more! Too easy to ruin the patina, and the coin! If you absolutely have to have it cleaner, let a professional do it! And any trash you find on that site may be of relic status! I'm sure there are at least a few more old coins to be found! Keep at it!👍👍

• Like 1

That is a absolutely cracking find,a lovely George111,the patination on it is about as good as it gets,of course its your find and very well done but my advice is 'Do Not Clean It' you will kill the desirability that coin collects look for in such a coin.

Over the years have seen some stunning/valuable and rare coins rendered worthless because someone has used cleaning agents like chemicals,abrasive and even electrolysis they may make them look clean and shiny but because they have done that have also rendered the item worth absolutely zero because of that one mistake.

Leave it as it is,its a stunning example of G111,a reasonably hard coin to find even in the UK but i doubt that you will ever find another one with such amazing patina and that is what you can replicate over night but you can kill it by cleaning it in minutes.

• Like 2

Great find Caleb,

I wouldn't clean it anymore. Just remember that the patina tells the history of the coin or any other object you find. You will find a great deal of joy in trying to figure out who lost it, or the amount made and by who. The thought of remembering the past is where the value of your finds are. Keep that in mind and all your finds will be GREAT.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Scarfoot
      I Got out for a few hrs on an iron infested site yesterday, I'm still learning the equinox 800 but after a couple months I'm figuring it out.   Found the half Reale in the first pic laying on the surface. You can see a square nail in the bottom left of the pic. The cut coin is a 2 Reale.(pictured with a previously dug 2 reale for reference) I found it about five feet away just a few inches deep.  Unfortunately both coins are completely wiped on both sides. Win some Lose some!

• By calabash digger
      I went to a spot that I had been researching and pickings were slim. A stunner showed up and made it all worth it! 

• By F350Platinum
      Cold day today, only got up to about 36, but the wind died down enough to go out in the farm. Another great day! Usually I find buttons, but I'm moving more toward where an 1800s house was so I expect there to be a mix. There is a road that ran through the farm way before it was built so I will find 1700s items too.
      Today the ground was a bit frozen so I dialed recovery speed back to 2 from 3 (Equinox 600), and cranked the sensitivity up to 21. Not sure if this helped but the proof is in the finds I guess.
      I was only able to make four passes up and back, it's about 300 yards one way. Photo below illustrates the distance, my golf cart is by the road. I'm doing a grid search so it is very tedious but still a blast.
      Found a really small thimble, a piece of buckle, a very small button and two heavily corroded pennies, one a wheat penny with no discernable date (edit: if you zoom the penny it appears to be a 1919 ) and the other an 1865 Indian head. My grandkids gave me a digital microscope for my birthday, and the date stands out pretty clear!
      Yes, I found yet another Spanish (really Mexico mint) half Real. This one clearly shows the mint mark in the microscope, they were minted from 1772 to 1784, but I can't find a date. The first one I found was 1778. There are a few other identifying marks on it.
      And just as I thought I was done, in the last 20 feet I got a solid 16, and popped out the gold plated broach with 4 stones. The stones are yellowish under the microscope, and one appears to be chipped so I know they are not diamonds. They still sparkle though! There is a bit of gold plating in the back and a spot where the pin was attached.

• By F350Platinum
      Today I went out to the farm instead of the steamboat landing. It was cold, never got above 35, but the ground here still hasn't frozen. Never really does on average. Ground balanced the Equinox for the first time, it was acting kind of squirrelly today for some reason. 
      Highest Id goes to the strange round fitting, it was a 32! Tapered screw threads on the inside, I'm thinking compression fitting of some sort. I think I broke the old dog tag but found all the pieces. I've been pretty lucky not breaking stuff, don't know what happened. The large piece at the top ID'd at 25, the copper nail was a 9 at first but was a 15 out of the ground. Not sure what caliber the bullet is but it looks like a match bullet. One of the longest I've seen.
      D buckle is silverplated, found the most fragile buckle yet, dug a thimble, and two buttons, one I think is pewter and the other says "STANDARD COLOUR GILT".  It's an old one with an alpha shank. 
      Musket ball, and some tiny bits that ID'd high, the smallest bit was a 22.
      Oh yeah, and the small coin on left bottom is a Half Real 😎, second one I've found in this field. It has no identifying marks save for one letter on one side but it's non ferrous and weighs exactly the same and is the same size as the one I dug previously. It has a hole to keep it on a thread or ribbon, or to sew it in clothing. Great day! 

• By The Seeker
      Me and the wife were looking thru some older money and foreign currency and I came across this coin. I had seen it before but I didn't pay it much attention. I honestly have no idea where or when I found it. It’s a 1/4 Pahlavi Mohammed Reza Sha made from 1945-1979. I weigh mine and it’s exactly 2.03 grams. I know it’s not an American gold coin but I’m still happy to have it in my collection. 

• By Tometusns
      Well the title says it all. I was detecting at an old town that is mostly gone. We got the permission from a really nice older couple that gave us plenty of info about the town and it's history. They cut hay off an area that used to have houses on it so off we went. Only found two coins but both were old. The first was the what is that coin and the second a shield nickel. 
      I had dug an old barrel spigot on my first pass and wasn't really finding much at all. Then about the third trip across I hit some really big numbers that sounded good. I was thinking perhaps another spigot or relic of some type. I popped out the plug and could see the side of what I thought could be maybe a silver dollar! I pulled it out of the plug and wiped off some dirt and thought what is that..lol I was pretty sure it was silver and an 1829 Mexican coin but other than that...clueless. My detecting buddy looked at it and told me I had found a Mexican 8 reales. I thought it was cool before being the oldest coin I had found but after realizing what I had found I got reales happy!! 😁
      I was told they were used as American currency until 1857 which made it even more special to me. Ya just never know. Oh, Equinox still pk1 ib3 recovery7.  
      HH! Tom