Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

4 hours ago, jasong said:

They need to publish a range of affected unit serial #'s so the public can know.

When I rang them to send mine in (it’s been about a week since then) I was told if it’d been manufactured/bought new within the last fortnight (it had not) then it will not have the update. 

Going off that information, any machine bought before mid/late September of this year doesn’t have the update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sheppo said:

When I rang them to send mine in (it’s been about a week since then) I was told if it’d been manufactured/bought new within the last fortnight (it had not) then it will not have the update. 

Going off that information, any machine bought before mid/late September of this year doesn’t have the update.

So basically every detector made... we all have the fault.  Explains a lot.  Thanks, I've already sent them an email this morning.  Man this is a costly screw up for them.

• Like 1

I think putting out serial numbers is a good idea. I seem to have more luck with my 6000, as I can't really say it's not performing well. Yes, it can be erratic at times, but nothing I can't usually manage. I always contributed the chatter to the enormous sensitivity, something I am not unfamiliar with being a sdc user.  In fact, I found it a very useful machine, although I hardly ever use the internal speaker. For me it is a nice addition to the Z/NF, especially when hiking. The only issue I have is that it is rather hot rock sensitive, something that is not related to the problems described here. Asked if I would buy it again, I would say yes, but only for my particular model of course. I feel sorry about all the other ones having serious issues. This truly sucks! I sincerely hope that the GPZ successor won't be in the same camp!

GC

• Like 2

Very interesting thred. Does a dealer care to comment? I’ve not seen one yet and this thred is over 2 weeks old. Surely they might have some intel on this? 

Strick

14 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I think putting out serial numbers is a good idea. I seem to have more luck with my 6000, as I can't really say it's not performing well. Yes, it can be erratic at times, but nothing I can't usually manage. I always contributed the chatter to the enormous sensitivity, something I am not unfamiliar with being a sdc user.  In fact, I found it a very useful machine, although I hardly ever use the internal speaker. For me it is a nice addition to the Z/NF, especially when hiking. The only issue I have is that it is rather hot rock sensitive, something that is not related to the problems described here. Asked if I would buy it again, I would say yes, but only for my particular model of course. I feel sorry about all the other ones having serious issues. This truly sucks! I sincerely hope that the GPZ successor won't be in the same camp!

GC

What I would like to know is, how many people are using the detector to bulldoze instead of actually swing over ground. It’s been stipulated time and time again that the machine is not made to be scraped on the ground.

1 hour ago, Sheppo said:

It’s been stipulated time and time again that the machine is not made to be scraped on the ground.

Where? I've not seen this, but maybe I missed it. Links please.

I doubt people started using their detectors any differently than they have in the last 20 years. Model designs are what change, and how they stand up to the use. Coils come with skid plates, and many Aussie posters over the years have told me how fast they wear them out. There are entire threads about skid plate replacement. That does not happen treating coils with kid gloves, and skid plates themselves imply an expectation detector coils may be in contact with the ground. I sure don't baby my coils, so I guess I'm one of the guilty parties here. Oddly enough, coil ears cracking has never been an issue for me on Minelab detectors, including the 6000. But that does not mean bad batches of plastic never get used in coil manufacture. It happens with all the companies, as they source their materials used in coil manufacture out of house.

One thing I would caution people about is not using excessive force when tightening coil bolts, no matter the detector you use. Just tight enough to keep the coil from flopping, no more. Some people way overdo it, and this can stress the coil ears. I have seen a few new coil designs lately that seek to change how the coil is tightened to alleviate this issue. The XP Deus coil setup comes to mind, but I've seen others, like the Fisher Impulse AQ, that use inserts that take the force, instead of the coil ear itself.

minelab-gpz-7000-scuff-cover-wore-out.jpg

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I've seen others, like the Fisher Impulse AQ, that use inserts that take the force, instead of the coil ear itself.

When you tighten these coil bolts (essentially against themselves to produce friction) you are not putting any pressure/stress on the coil ear structure so you can over-tighten as much as you want which is a natural tendency for some of us.

2 hours ago, Sheppo said:

It’s been stipulated time and time again that the machine is not made to be scraped on the ground.

I will have to be more aware and be careful no to make contact with the ground with my coil while detecting. Silly me. I should have known this as I know my excavator buckets last much longer if I don't allow them to scrape on the ground.

However, the stock 6000coil cover is made from the softest material I have ever found for a "skid plate". It can easily be scratched with your thumbnail.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, klunker said:

However, the stock 6000coil cover is made from the softest material I have ever found for a "skid plate". It can easily be scratched with your thumbnail.

There was actually a rationale behind that. It makes it quieter when in contact with the ground. Not sure how much I'm buying that, but it was what I was told. But after listening to my Garrett Axiom coil covers in action, I'd say there is some truth to it. Then again, my GPX 17 coil kind of sounded like a drum when in use, so only real answer for coil noise is headphones, and make skid plates to last long, not sound good. And $50 for a coffee can lid. Really?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1