Some Interesting News From Quest Detectors

DSMITH

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Assuming everything is compatible and works together glitch free, still trying to figure out why I would want to pay more for a detector with less capability than the X-terra Pro (<300  Euros) and I have to still provide the physical interface myself (i.e., tie up my overutilized phone) in the process.

I have a couple of phones just laying around that would probably be perfect to use with this detector as long as it did not require a active phone to be used, if it required just the capabilities to use Bluetooth with out needing a data plan, I would assume you would have to have an app and as long as that app did not require a data connection to work with it then you could always connect to a WiFi connection then use a good phone that one might have laying around now if it required you to have a phone that has a data connection then that would be totally different  

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Assuming everything is compatible and works together glitch free, still trying to figure out why I would want to pay more for a detector with less capability than the X-terra Pro (<300  Euros) and I have to still provide the physical interface myself (i.e., tie up my overutilized phone) in the process.

Because then people will not have to put their phone down just to metal detect?

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I would imagine what will sell it initially is the novelty of the experience and/or lack of knowledge about what competitor products look like. There are people who think they want to use their cell phone for this, but haven’t worked out the risks of dropping, muddying, and scratching a thousand dollar phone until the unit is actually in their hands and paid for. I personally wouldn’t use my iPhone for this. I would use a cheaper android and not until they build a top performing unit that is multifrequency, with color 2D target graphics, or spectrograph. Even then, I’m not sure I see the benefit over a dedicated rig like the Manticore. 

• Like 3

I for one don’t want to use my cell phone other than making calls. 
 I get enough calls on my phone from my wife when I’m in the field and I sure an heck don’t want her calling on my detector .

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Different generation Chuck, some people who aren't even interested in detecting would buy this thing if it was in a shop they shop at as a phone accessory.  They'd think it's a neat idea, people that are not at all interested in metal detecting.  It opens Quest up to a different market of people entirely.

Maybe they just want to have the tech on hand for the day technology improves to make it even more viable, lock it all up with patents like Minelab would do.

• Like 2

Another consideration for a setup like this is you can’t get in the water with it. BT won’t travel under water and unlike the XP machines there’s no antenna to connect cell phone to coil. Kind of ironic as one of the things that stand out on the old packaging of this product was beads of water on the coil.

• Like 2

I backed Air Metal Detectors when they started up. Never received my detector. Not cool.

• Sad 1

The only reason I might consider this detector would be if it had a 5 to 10,000 mAh PD battery in the handle to keep my phone charged while using it. Since I'm running OnX Hunt on my phone most of the time while detecting to track and record my finds, and sometimes switch to Historic Aerials and lidar mapping for intel on the area, it "might" be useful. Since cell phones are pretty resistant to and a source of EMI, I guess that might be a plus. 🤣

However, anyone thinking they won't need a new phone long before the contract ends might find this an ill-conceived advancement. Unless the 3d party folks can come out with some sort of really good protective scheme, you're going to scratch the crap out of your phone screen and get it covered with dust, salt spray and dirt.

As stated by many of the above, there are and will be much better options.

Not for me, but I can see why Quest would be interested, specially if they can sell a subscription service for the phone app to make the detector work. Sounds like a money maker, but not for use in real world detecting, so no thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:26 PM, Chase Goldman said:

there are more downsides than upsides to this approach

I disagree. Just because it’s not been done properly yet does not mean it won’t be, and in fact it’s all but inevitable. Objections about communication speed and processing power are mere technical issues. The objection over processor power in particular is already moot since the heavy lifting occurs in the coil. So all we are talking is the speed to get the info to the phone. Many Deus users employ the controller are a dumb programmer and put in the pocket so really all you are talking is audio lag. New faster Bluetooth protocols come along constantly, and WiFi is being ignored completely as an alternative as are separate direct to headphone schemes bypassing the phone. Again, nothing but technical hurdles a creative mind and time will overcome. If a phone as controller makes no sense then neither does what XP does with all the wireless everything. The basic concept has nothing wrong with it at all. It will happen, mark my words,

• Like 3