GPZ 7000 40% More Depth - Really?

goldbrick

Forgive me for scoffing but this sounds like some B.S. advertising claim that a desk jockey at Codan has come up with. There is plenty of info on the web that details the extreme amounts of battery power it would take to realize even modest gains in depth using current PI technology. So they have much better battery tech or new timings maybe.

I can see where they may possibly achieve that claim only in a certain timing or certain conditions but? Is that 40% in all timings on all types of gold in all types of ground? Does that claim take into account coil size?

I truly hope I am the one full of B.S. and this is not just advertising hype as I know where to go if it is the truth :D:D:D

Merton

The codicil/disclaimer-"SNEAK PEAK MORE INFORMATION COMING SOON!

Minelab GPZ 7000 Metal Detector

NEW GOLD TECHNOLOGY - UP TO 40% DEEPER* 

*When compared to the average performance of the GPX 5000 in testing environments. Actual performance depends on prevailing conditions

Still a hell of a claim..........

I believe they are referring to 40% deeper in debt. We will see. The Minelab folks have about worn out the term "New Technology".

Gldbrk; When you order yours have it drop shipped to me and I'll test it for you. Then again, if I found anything with it the GPS would give away my location. NUTS!

• Like 1

Klunker, when I said I know where to go with it I was referring to all your patches! LMAO

The new Tide will make my already whiter whites whiter. You can make statistics say whatever you want.

It will be fun to watch. It is all very predictable. Every PI that Minelab has ever released is met with extreme skepticism and complaints about the price. Rewind the clock to when the GPX 5000 was released. You can Google up tons of posts about how it really is no different than a GPX 4500 and not worth the extra money. Now if you wander around the forums it is now just a commonly accepted fact that the GPX 5000 represents the state of the art. It has been the same pattern with every model going back to the SD2100.

I admit I used to hold off but quite some time ago I learned that when a new Minelab came out I should just get it ASAP. I actually thought this machine was going to come out two years ago because Minelab introduces new machines every two - three years, so I sold my GPX 5000 in the fall of 2012. I figured the new model would come out that winter. Shows what I know, I had to buy another GPX 5000 in the spring of 2013!

Anyway, as soon as I got wind of this one I sold my GPX 5000 - again. My expectation is it will cost a lot and people will be skeptical and hold off. My plan is to have a GPZ 7000 in my hands for as many hours as I can this year. In fact my goal is to set a new personal record for hours spent detecting in a year in 2015.

My recommendation is that everyone just wait and not worry about it and I will get back to you about the 40% thing this fall. Or maybe next spring! I honestly am not going to worry about it myself as it is what I am committed to using and it is going to find what it is going to find. No doubt like every detector I have ever used something else may have found whatever it is also. I could just have kept swinging my GPX 5000 this summer and been just fine. The holes I am digging are deep enough, thank you very much! But I have never yet regretted upgrading to a newer model Minelab. Not once. I am betting I do not regret this upgrade either.

there will always be speculation and sceptics...and people that jump in head first. I like your chart even it is a bit harsh on those that are slow to change...

I know in my experience I started my Minelab Pi "fun" with a 2000 then a 2200 then a gp extreme then a 3500 and now a 5000. Every one has been an improvement in some way or ways. I have no doubt the 7000 will be a keeper for anyone that can afford it and wants the newest brightest toy...

I am looking forward to an complete essay on the the machine and coils...when ever the users are free to do so...

fred

It will be fun to watch. It is all very predictable.

You only have to rewind back to last year and the SDC 2300. Many, many folks claimed their 5000s with an 8 inch coil was every bit as good on small gold as the SDC and it was way too expensive to be "worth it". Further testing showed the SDC was clearly better on small shallow stuff, but there are still folks who don't believe. No worries - you don't have to buy a 2300, no one will make you do it. Heck, there are still a few that think the SD 2000 is as good as any detector ML has made.

Look in at some of the Aussie forums - they have very little info, but the complainers have assumed the worst right down the line and are crying and sobbing just as Steve has predicted.

I'm just looking forward to be able to look people straight in the eye and not have to change the subject when asked what Minelab are up to, lots of discussions going on all over the net and I can't be part of any of it just at the moment.... I suspect its not far off now though. 

Steve you commented recently about Minelab porting their new detectors into already used housings and not doing total re-designs from scratch (can't find the actual comment but it was recently), such as the SDC using the F3 Compact housing and now the GPZ 7000 using the CTX housing..... yet I just read your thread where you had this housing on your wish list back on 2012. Just curious where you stand with this methodology? 

JP

What fun! :lol:  Now we have something to praise :)​ , berate :angry: , or speculate :wacko: about  besides Nokta/Makro. I have always been partial to PI's anyway.

Merton

Hi JP,

Well, it all depends on weight. I have a CTX 3030 and at the time I posted that in 2012 I saw lots of people trying to make a GPX 5000 into a "normal" detector. You see detectors with external batteries and speakers strapped on; pretty common actually. The problem of course is that at 5.3 lbs to start with on the GPX by the time you add the battery, speaker and such it all adds up.

The CTX 3030 weighs 5.2 lbs and my vision was a GPX 5000 stuffed into a CTX housing and weighing just that. I think we can agree that would be pretty sweet. Already though looking at GPZ photos I am seeing a larger battery and larger coil so that's obviously not going to happen.

I have given Garrett a ton of grief over the ATX weighing too much and don't see why I would be any easier on Minelab if the GPZ is overly heavy. There is no reason at all that I can see why detectors designed from the ground up for prospectors can't weigh less. However, nobody seems to be doing that designing. The excuse used to be prospecting is a niche market, but can that really be true any more?