My Soil Sucks Please Help With Equinox 800

Lacky,

There were to many kids getting splinters when they fell off the slide, so they started putting the rock down and cured the problem. There is about 8 inches of depth with the rock so it is actually softer than the mulch.

Thanks

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2Valen said:

My wife thinks that I am sweeping to fast and wants me to slow down. It takes about 2-3 seconds to go from left to right and then 2-3 seconds to go right to left. I keep everything level with the ground and try to take my time. I hope that is correct.

In my experience you could swing much faster than this (I swing about 1 sec from side to side = 2 sec round trip).  The Eqx has a fast recovery as long as you use factory settings {5,6,7}.  I've used Recovery Speed = 4 quite a bit and don't notice a problem.  Never tried lower values.  BUT, a slow swing speed such as the one you are using should not be a problem.  I'm sure others will chime in on this topic.  But, IMO, you need to look elsewhere.

You and I live a bit over 3 hours apart.  I'd be willing to meet you halfway sometime, although unfortunately this weekend is booked (besides, it's so frickin hot&humid!).  Running yours side-by-side with mine would definitely indicate if there's a problem with your detector.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2Valen said:

What part of the country do you live in? There is a place in Tennessee that I really want to go to some day again. 35 years ago I built a detector from some parking lot equipment to find a lost gold shipment and would love to have a few friends go and help find it. I have narrowed down the area to a 2 mile stretch, but I know it is going to be down deep. The last time we found a VW Bug buried about 4 feet deep. We were able to dig it out and fix it up. This trip would be to locate a $500,000.00 pay wagon for the troops during the Civil War, that is why we had to go really deep. Most of the pay was gold coins and silver coins, and there was no paper money involved. Let me know if you would like to try to help find it.

You are getting some good advice from folks here.  If your detector was over sensitive at the beach, there might be anbequipment isdue at play.  Highly suggest you take someone up on their offer to meet with you to compare detectors.  As far as the "CW gold" adventure, sounds like fun.  Always up for detecting new places so we'll look into that down the road once we get your detector working for you you.  I'm in Virginia, not too far away for a TN adventure.  Keep us apprised of your progress.

• Like 1

GB_Amateur,

Thanks for the information and when some of this heat goes away I would love to meet up and compare the 2 units side by side. My personal email is  tslavings@hotmail.com if you would like to contact me that way.

Thanks

Chase,

As far as the "CW gold" adventure, sounds like fun.  Always up for detecting new places so we'll look into that down the road once we get your detector working for you you.  I'm in Virginia, not too far away for a TN adventure. 

Like I stated many years ago a couple of friends and myself searched for almost 3 weeks in the area that it was lost and had it narrowed down to a much smaller area. I expect it to be buried in at least 4-5 feet of mud and that is why I made a special metal detector to reach down that far. The coils were 6 feet long and 3 feet wide. I had plastic wheels and used nylon hardware to fasten everything together. We had found milk cans at 6.5 feet with it and I know with the new equipment I can make it better today. You would have to travel to the west side of Tn. and I know a few people in the area that might put a few people up for while. When I get ready to go back down there I will give everyone a heads up of about 30 days in advance. That way people who wants to go can plan on it. I would like about 4 people total so that the split would be nice for everyone.

I wanted to go out today and had mower problems and had to change my plans, but Sunday I will not be stopped.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, bethanyb1201 said:

Well I AM AN IDIOT! Turns out my soil isn't bad I am! I got the vanquish 540 and without the ability to screw up the settings I can now reach full depth. Problem wasn't the machines or the soil...

Just read this whole thread, pretty cool you are coming back albeit penitently. 🙂 Post some photos of your finds... Please! 😀

I wasn't here when you first posted, sad you had so much trouble with the 800. I have had a 600 since last December and have had great success with it. The first thing I was told was "Just unplug and go at first, don't overthink it". I took that advice and then joined this forum.

At first and for the first few months I didn't even ground balance, only ran noise cancel now and again because of all the military aircraft overhead. EMI was a problem others had. Didn't run into that until my first beach trip, and first campground permission, I found switching to 10kHz put me right back in the game. The earlier I got out on the beach the less EMI from cell phones, and the campground is full of underground wires. I used Field 2 a lot but then found that Park 1 went deeper. I can go back to a place I previously hunted now and find nothing, or stuff I probably didn't swing the coil over. Heck at the beach I was digging stuff over a foot down. 😵

Happy the Vanquish seems to be a match, I've been tempted to break out the Garrett Ace 400 and go over some of the places I've "cleaned out" to see if I am just whistlin' Dixie. 😀 

• Like 3

Every detector has a learning curve .

Did you trade the 800 for the Vanquish ? Or keep them both !

You're doing fine.

Keep at it and good luck on your hunts.

Hey 350 , I hope the whistling helps ????????? 

(that might require a new thread..........)skuh kuh kuh kuh 

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:57 PM, F350Platinum said:

I've been tempted to break out the Garrett Ace 400 and go over some of the places I've "cleaned out" to see if I am just whistlin' Dixie. 😀 

I'm actually a good whistler , so if this works ,,,do you want form a duo and be able to defeat all other detectors with our combined "aural magic sauce"??? 

skuh kuh kuh kuh maybe Valen and Bethany could join the band and we'd have a #1 with a bullet hit ! Chase could take Kasey's place as MC !!!

But seriously , it's good to see Bethany found her perfect detector and we all know how well Mr Valen's Legacy is doing with his 800 these days ! 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2019 at 10:19 PM, Noah (FL) said:

This is an all too common topic accross all forums not relating to any specific brand.  First time poster that made unprecedented number of silver finds with a beginner model moves to a more in-depth settings model and can’t quite mesh with the machine.  Either the poster figured out how to jive with the machine or it hits the back of the closet until it turns up on eBay in 10 years when they move and have a garage sale.   LOL

I went from an AT Pro to the 800. First 3 months I was about ready to sell the machine. I could find much more with the AT Pro. Why? Because I did not know the 800, did not have enough sense to put in 50 - 100 hours in the standard modes and kept screwing with the advance settings and recovery speeds not really knowing what I was doing. What I was doing was detuning a fine detector to the point it was about as effective as a cheap child's radio shack detector. After much studying  and l learning from people who really knew detecting in general and specifically the 800, I finally got it. Now me and my 800 find things the AT Pro could and cannot find. There was nothing wrong with the 800, just me the operator. The 800 is nothing like a single frequency detector and you cannot treat it like one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1