Gold Heart Ring With 6" Coil

mn90403

I'm getting ready for another gold nugget trip.  I've been told where we are going to bring a VLF for all the bedrock.  That is a style of detecting nuggets I don't normally do so I thought I would need practice with the 6" coil.  I live in Santa Monica so where am I going to 'practice?'  The beach of course.

Waves have been very small for a week or more.  I went out a couple of days ago with the 11" coil and got so few targets in the tide zone I detected back to my car in the dry sand.  I prefer wetter detecting.  That is what I did with the 6" coil for about an hour and a half.  There still weren't many targets but I was going to dig everything I heard.  It is a little weird going out there with such a little coil but I did it when I first got the 6" coil and I got 4 cheap rings that day but the conditions were better because of the waves.

This afternoon I used Beach 2/F2 4/25 sensitivity/5 or 6 speed.  I had just reduced to 5 (for the ring) when I got a slight negative target but it was repeatable.  I turn up the negative sound so I can hear it and see it.  I dug a bit and the sound was solid.  It took several scoops and it was still in the wet sand hole.  I was not fighting the waves but the hole was filling with water.  My scoop is 6" and I was now down a full scoop and the number came in at a solid 10!  Its been a long time with any of my coils for that sound.

It came out of the hole and I swung over the pile and it was still 10 so I was hopeful.  I might have hit it with the scoop.  When I shook the wet sand away I saw it.  It looked good now and it sounded good so ... please don't be a cheap ring ... haha  There were lots of people about and I didn't want to answer questions so I put it in my pouch and hunted for another hour after I found it.

It's a 14k Lee that is .1 oz (2.7g) with 5 little diamonds.  It seems I'll have to use the 6" coil on the beach more often.

IMG_0120.thumb.JPG.b64f195424a93fb9f008ae023de22923.JPG

IMG_0122.thumb.JPG.e0026caa801a93dd56ae6bd1183b0ada.JPG

I need a beach near me!

Nice finds and hope you luck on your next hunt.

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

Very cool Mitchel, I wish I had a good beach to hunt nearby, it seems they can be very productive.

Dude, really?!! Not sure your allowed to wistfully wish right now.

The small coil will do just fine and even better on tiny stuff like earrings.  I just feel the little coil is not getting the ground coverage I want.  When the 10" Ellip comes out, it will certainly fill a void many of us want.

Are you heading back to Rye Patch for your 6" bedrock hunt?

Good to see a little gold in the sand on occasion for you and the diamonds are a bonus.

55 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Say what now? when the 10 Elliptical comes out? not IF? Do you know something we don't? 🤞

Of course he does!

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

The small coil will do just fine and even better on tiny stuff like earrings.  I just feel the little coil is not getting the ground coverage I want.  When the 10" Ellip comes out, it will certainly fill a void many of us want.

Good to see a little gold in the sand on occasion for you and the diamonds are a bonus.

I'm going to some Southern California mountains with Jim.  😊

On 10/16/2019 at 9:42 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

On 10/16/2019 at 9:46 PM, phrunt said:

Say what now? when the 10 Elliptical comes out? not IF? Do you know something we don't? 🤞

Hmm...Vanquish fringe benefits for Nox owners, perhaps...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice going Mitchel, you earned that one. Have fun in the mountains. Hope you are staying safe from the nasty stuff...