Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only repeat what I was told by the guy who sold it to me, his name was Greg and he was a longtime buddy of Jimmy Sierra and helped with input of the design. he said they borrowed circuitry and programing aspects from the MXT, MX5 (M6? I'm not sure) and GMT and although it has very few features the ones that it has are optimized for mineralized conditions.  Turn it on and go, the ground balance is super fast also and can be locked to prevent tracking out a target with a switch flip, this feature also lets you use the detector as a broad large target deep searching detector by ground balancing with the pinpoint mode and then locking the GB, hits deep water pipes really well this way.

I can only repeat what I was told by the guy who sold it to me, his name was Greg and he was a longtime buddy of Jimmy Sierra and helped with input of the design. he said they borrowed circuitry and programing aspects from the MXT, MX5 (M6? I'm not sure) and GMT and although it has very few features the ones that it has are optimized for mineralized conditions.  Turn it on and go, the ground balance is super fast also and can be locked to prevent tracking out a target with a switch flip, this feature also lets you use the detector as a broad large target deep searching detector by ground balancing with the pinpoint mode and then locking the GB, hits deep water pipes really well this way.

The M6 is the MXT's little brother that has a 1 and 7 tone mode with track lock and salt mode.  The SST is a M6 locked in the 7 tone mode with an Eclipse coil on it. It's a M6 without the single tone feature and huge SST letters stuck to the side. The rest is smoke and mirrors. However the M6 is probably Whites best kept coin and jewelry secret.  The MXS should out pace the M6.

To bootstrap on several previous comments, I'm pretty fired up about the MX Sport, and agree White's is launching it in a good way.  My only worry, and I've got my fingers crossed, is that it is a "real" MXT circuit with certain tweaks and improvements, rather that a Treasure Pro set up to mimic an MXT.  I would be very happy with an MX Sport if it turns out White's took the MXT and squeezed every last ounce of capability out of that platform.  I'm sure that with a year of careful design and testing of the "old" MXT circuitry, White's would be able to get every last bit of capability out of that excellent original design.  Maybe a little quieter, a smidge deeper, and a bit more stable and accurate VDI.  Going through the circuit, there had to have been a few components that weren't sized quite optimally, or maybe there's better transistors available now, less noise, or whatever, where White's could improve a bit.  That's really what I am hoping for.  Give me a real MXT and improve its real-world performance by just 10% or even 5% and I will be a happy MX Sport owner.

The MX Sport can't be an MXT. The reality is the MXT is its own machine based on an old, very large circuit board. http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1533-whites-mx-sport-waterproof-metal-detector/?p=18386

People think "just make it smaller". Well, it does not work quite like that. These machines run mostly in software, and changing one line changes many other things. For instance, just adding a frequency shift to the MXT would be very difficult. In order to not only make a smaller board but to also add various new features, you pretty much just start over. The concept of the MXT is there as an example and something to emulate. At the end of the day however the MX Sport I am 99% certain will act more like the MX5 than the MXT as far as the sounds it makes and just how it acts in general. Some people are simply going to like their old MXT more and that is the way it is. The MXT in my case just lacks too many features I want that the MX Sport offers. Make your choices and take your picks but no one machine is going to make everyone happy.

Again, just my opinion, but if you want a "real" MXT the only way that is going to happen is if you get an MXT. Been there done that myself so I am looking for something different. I have a better chance at being pleased, methinks.

I do not expect more absolute depth from single frequency VLF metal detectors. What we can get is better separation/target recovery and discrimination by way of faster processors and better software so that would be my expectation/hope.

Although I am loyal to the MXT I have to agree with Steve on this one, After using a sovereign GT on Iron infested ground and then switching to an MXT my finds went through the roof because of the recovery speed and the target separation, So if the MX Sport is faster again then people are going to see a marked improvement with just the faster processor alone which is why machines like the XP's and the F75's are popular over here, Speed also allows the machine to give more depth Quicker because it is processing the info faster instead of having to move the coil slowly to extract the last bit of power from the machine.

john

White's is putting the new MX Sport through test beyond any I've ever seen before. Over on MD a guy is making these test with his eyes covered with the Mx Sport. The one I can't believe is the banana test. Yes this one you have to see for yourself.

Chuck. 

White's is putting the new MX Sport through test beyond any I've ever seen before. Over on MD a guy is making these test with his eyes covered with the Mx Sport. The one I can't believe is the banana test. Yes this one you have to see for yourself.

Chuck. 

Chuck,  Have you got a link to that.mate,

john