Big Silver On One Hunt; Gold And Silver On Another!

Hello Friends,

I just wanted to share with you a couple short (3 hr) hunts I had last week.  The weather here in LA county has been stifling, but luckily my limited hunt time these days is a welcomed sight...hunt in the morning and leave around noon.

My first hunt last week was at a few parks that my buddies and I have hunted countless times over the years.  This day only one of the parks produced silver, but it was a silver none of my buddies have found at this park before: a Walker Half.  I ended the short hunt with 8 wheaties and the Walker. 

This past Sunday, I met a buddy at another heavily pillaged park.  This park has produced many old 30's-50's era coins (a % of these are lawnmower clipped), and high counts of clad quarters. One of my buddies found over 60 quarters at this park one day a couple years ago.  After finding a couple clipped Rosies within the first hour, I dug a merc with a ‘40 Jefferson in the hole.  I then was swinging my coil in a mostly dirt turf area, and just as I swung my coil in front of me, I noticed a glimmer of gold laying in the dirt.  The small ring is 14k, 2.32 grams, with a sapphire colored stone, and 10 diamond chips.  The ring ID’d as an 8 on my Nox.  I never would have dug ID’s that low at a trashy park, so I’m thankful I was able to spot it laying in the dirt.  It straightened out perfectly on my mandrel.  My buddy and I detected on for another hour before the humidity blasted both of us.  I finished my hunt with the gold ring, 3 Rosies, 1 merc, 12 wheats, 25 quarters, and a Washington dollar coin. The marble (maybe a dyed agate marble??) I found in my pic was peeking out of a dirt spot and is coincidentally the same color as the center stone in the ring I found. Go figure! 😉

Thanks for looking! Good luck to everyone!

HH,

Raphis (Dan)

9BEAE027-68BB-4318-B074-D346E61566A6.jpeg

794D77E1-7BCD-4446-B2F2-0DE4ADB924FB.jpeg

601146F9-932E-4B5F-82F4-BBDDB4793E69.jpeg

8ED9B8CF-C481-4110-B655-10215E8A7060.jpeg

249E194B-FB97-4BC0-BCA7-DF34E3EAAFAF.jpeg

That's a great weekend for sure.

Well done.  Showing how it is done going back to your old parks.

Great hunting for you on these hot days.

Glad to see you recover those items for sure.

Wish you more luck in your next outing, and thanks for the story and pictures.

I'm surprised at how many of the coins were cut by mowers.   Not only must their blades have been sharp (my mower damaged coins tend to just be bent or dinged) but the sheer numbers are unexpected, IMO.  Do you think a change in dTID (from the missing material) caused previous detectorists to ignore these?  Also, do the two clipped dime pieces mate or is that just a coincidental illusion?

Oh, and nice sunbaker!

If you'd photographed that marble alone I'd swear it was a bowling ball. 😀 Great finds, that ring is really nice! 👍

Cut coins like that are probably from the reel style mower and not modern rotary is my guess.

That is a good run.

12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Well done.  Showing how it is done going back to your old parks.

14 hours ago, JCR said:

That's a great weekend for sure.

11 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunting for you on these hot days.

Glad to see you recover those items for sure.

6 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Sounds and looks well worth the effort !

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the replies! 👍🏼