Wait For Deus II To Mature?

17 minutes ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

With the recent freezing developments in D2 I'm in no rush to buy one now, or a Legend for a few months. I'll let someone else beta test for me. Not in and rush to be sending things back and forth for fixes.

How with possible case cracking???

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=294550&page=3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midalake said:

Looks to me like someone isn't using the red plug, or left it in after diving 🙄

I looked at mine:20220410_135534.thumb.jpg.556844f580da703bd761038fb931145e.jpg

Yep, one might perceive that as a crack. 😬

However, my guess is that it is an injection molding anomaly, merely some pigment. It magically disappears when photographed from the side, a real crack would not. The clue is in the shiny plastic.20220410_135736.thumb.jpg.d84ce38038c2e01fa5af2a1e700ce412.jpg

I cannot feel a "catch" with a fingernail or pin. 🤷‍♂️ 

I have no doubt some will blow up their units from the "bends" by not paying attention to which pressure plug is in use in and out of the water.

I'll bet everyone has this little bit of pigmentation here, I wouldn't be so quick to judge it a massive flaw. 🙂

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

With the recent freezing developments in D2 I'm in no rush to buy one now, or a Legend for a few months. I'll let someone else beta test for me. Not in and rush to be sending things back and forth for fixes.

That is indeed a true software bug. 👍

Unfortunately with the Deus it is tempting to take the remote off and play with it, until it is fixed it's best to make sure you don't take it too far away, and to maintain the regimen of keeping everything charged. Not too much to ask for such an expensive detector... 🤔

"Doc, it hurts when I do this"

"Well, don't do that!".  

😀

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 1moar said:

I think some are on crack. Its an injection issue that seperates the metal flake in that area.

OnCrack.jpg

This forum separates the chaff from the wheat, my friend. 🙂 It's the best out there. 👍

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

Understandable.  But I will note that so far things have generally been resolved with downloadable updates that mitigate the risk of having  to send hardware back and forth.  This isn't a Whites MX Sport or Fisher F75 DST, or even a Nox leaky head unit or wobbly shaft situation requiring returning HW back to the factory for hardware mods, firmware updates, or wholesale replacement at least not yet...  But these new detectors also don't suddenly render your go to detector obsolete, so waiting until the dust settles is prudent.

3 hours ago, midalake said:

Or not...

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I looked at mine:20220410_135534.thumb.jpg.556844f580da703bd761038fb931145e.jpg

Yep, one might perceive that as a crack. 😬

However, my guess is that it is an injection molding anomaly, merely some pigment. It magically disappears when photographed from the side, a real crack would not. The clue is in the shiny plastic.20220410_135736.thumb.jpg.d84ce38038c2e01fa5af2a1e700ce412.jpg

I cannot feel a "catch" with a fingernail or pin. 🤷‍♂️ 

I have no doubt some will blow up their units from the "bends" by not paying attention to which pressure plug is in use in and out of the water.

I'll bet everyone has this little bit of pigmentation here, I wouldn't be so quick to judge it a massive flaw. 🙂

Agreed.  A deep dive into the thread linked by Dave put this one to bed pretty quickly.  Appears to be an across the board cosmetic issue with the molding process and a non-issue from a structural integrity standpoint.  This is backed up by TNSS verifying that both  Calabash's RC's show the same cosmetic "flaw" (as does mine) and that hasn't affected watertight integrity on the unit he's racked up 40+ hours in depths greater than 10 feet and up to 28 feet.

• Like 3

My Deus 2 has the same line on the bottom of the remote.  Its faint and looks like a seam from molding rather than like a crack.  I don't plan to really use mine in water, but it doesn't look like that line is more than cosmetic to me.  

Now that I've had my Deus 2 with 9in coil for 2 weeks and had no issues, I give people interested a "yes" vote if they are looking at getting this machine. Its a great all-arounder, though my focus is on coins/jewelry and occasionally for relics.

I've been out a lot with mine (~25 hours) and hiked twice with it and my GPX 6000 while out searching for gold.  Its so small and light, its been no issue carrying it up steep slopes.  No performance issues either and now that I've started making programs to suit me, I'm squeezing more performance out of it than just running the stock programs.  With how it can easily be updated, I say "dive in" and get one.  I've really enjoyed mine in varied terrain so far.  :biggrin:

• Like 4

Mine as well as my two friends who actually own one have the same whatever it is. It’s certainly not a crack though. Seems like others who don’t even own a Deus ll are pushing the crack theory. 🤣

• Like 4

It is just a flow mark from the gate in the injection molding process.  Purely cosmetic and won't weaken the structure but unfortunately positioned and is considered a defect.

You can read about flow marks here

https://www.cavitymold.com/how-to-improve-flow-mark-in-injection-molding/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/plastic-injection-molding-defects-series-flow-marks-flow-stebro-mold

and some examples in this photo.

370524341_flowlines.thumb.png.659ad8c7e34c1ece6d8528df1360156e.png

Will it result in a crack in the future? Very unlikely.

From one of the webpages linked

Flow marks are most commonly caused by resin cooling too quickly or improper gate location. They are supposed to be made by a sudden change of the flow front speed. The sudden change of the flow speed causes the difference in the cooling condition of the surface. Differences in wall thickness can also cause the material too cool at different rates, leaving behind flow lines.

If you wanted to over analyze it the plastic is full of defects

942513791_Deus2defects.thumb.jpg.e233696631b43ae8e4eab0723255f3b5.jpg

There is three obvious ones just in this section.  The worst to me is the poor fitting down the bottom for a waterproof unit.  Although likely purely cosmetic.

• Like 8