Wait For Deus II To Mature?

44343662-6EB7-462F-9FE9-37B87E49356A.thumb.jpeg.be37843355daeae4f15341e294b6dce7.jpegI have this same mark, and I agree it’s not a crack. It’s a cosmetic anomaly. 

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Understandable.  But I will note that so far things have generally been resolved with downloadable updates that mitigate the risk of having  to send hardware back and forth.  This isn't a Whites MX Sport or Fisher F75 DST, or even a Nox leaky head unit or wobbly shaft situation requiring returning HW back to the factory for hardware mods, firmware updates, or wholesale replacement at least not yet...  But these new detectors also don't suddenly render your go to detector obsolete, so waiting until the dust settles is prudent.

Or not...

Agreed.  A deep dive into the thread linked by Dave put this one to bed pretty quickly.  Appears to be an across the board cosmetic issue with the molding process and a non-issue from a structural integrity standpoint.  This is backed up by TNSS verifying that both  Calabash's RC's show the same cosmetic "flaw" (as does mine) and that hasn't affected watertight integrity on the unit he's racked up 40+ hours in depths greater than 10 feet and up to 28 feet.

I hope it is nothing!

Everyone from the same batch will have the same mark, They may adjust it in future batches if they're concerned about the cosmetics or just to appease future buyers, I'd not be at all worried by it.  Go out at look at your car, find the plastic areas and you'll likely see the same marks around it on dashboards or rear view mirrors, it's common.

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

It is just a flow mark from the gate in the injection molding process.  Purely cosmetic and won't weaken the structure but unfortunately positioned and is considered a defect.

You can read about flow marks here

https://www.cavitymold.com/how-to-improve-flow-mark-in-injection-molding/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/plastic-injection-molding-defects-series-flow-marks-flow-stebro-mold

and some examples in this photo.

370524341_flowlines.thumb.png.659ad8c7e34c1ece6d8528df1360156e.png

Will it result in a crack in the future? Very unlikely.

From one of the webpages linked

Flow marks are most commonly caused by resin cooling too quickly or improper gate location. They are supposed to be made by a sudden change of the flow front speed. The sudden change of the flow speed causes the difference in the cooling condition of the surface. Differences in wall thickness can also cause the material too cool at different rates, leaving behind flow lines.

If you wanted to over analyze it the plastic is full of defects

942513791_Deus2defects.thumb.jpg.e233696631b43ae8e4eab0723255f3b5.jpg

There is three obvious ones just in this section.  The worst to me is the poor fitting down the bottom for a waterproof unit.  Although likely purely cosmetic.

Great explanation phrunt! The darker parts circled are the rubber outer sleeve over the plastic case. 

5 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Great explanation phrunt! The darker parts circled are the rubber outer sleeve over the plastic case. 

Then that's no issue at all then 🙂

If it looks like a crack, feels like a crack  and leaks like a crack, then you might have a crack!   Lol!  I wish I’d seen this thread before I saw the “oh the sky is falling” posts over on the friendly forum.  Would have saved me some time from posting why I don’t think it’s a crack.  It doesn’t even look like a crack to me.  Some of the naysayers don’t even own a deus II.  

Back in the day, they use to say 'Dont buy a car the first year it comes out'  Seems as though its the same way with detectors.

I've never jumped on the newest toy.  I usually wait awhile and read lots of reviews.  As much as my shoulder is shot from swinging heavy Minelabs all these years,  the Deus 2 is just what I need right now.  However, just waiting for some of the kinks to get worked.  I own  D1 and love it but it doesnt work on wet, salt sand.  Now the almost perfect machine has arrived.  Patience  grasshopper !!!

HH

Donna(NJ)

9 minutes ago, Donna(NJ) said:

Back in the day, they use to say 'Dont buy a car the first year it comes out'  Seems as though its the same way with detectors.

I've never jumped on the newest toy.  I usually wait awhile and read lots of reviews.  As much as my shoulder is shot from swinging heavy Minelabs all these years,  the Deus 2 is just what I need right now.  However, just waiting for some of the kinks to get worked.  I own  D1 and love it but it doesnt work on wet, salt sand.  Now the almost perfect machine has arrived.  Patience  grasshopper !!!

HH

Donna(NJ)

One of my sons is a General Motors engine mechanic. He has told me and anyone that will listen, to not buy a new car until the chip/part supply issues and the workforce issues have been stabilized. Every company that has to produce electronics including metal detector companies are dealing with micro chip outsourcing supply unless they actually make their own micro chips. Another metal detecting company said in a Facebook video that they had to install chips that had slightly different tolerances but that were within spec just to meet production.............That would be a software engineering nightmare.

What has impressed me so far with the rollout of the D2 is XP's willingness to listen and seek to improve the D2 via updates. I know that one of these updates didn't exactly work out of the box for some and the way they did it wasn't the best but the bottom line is they are working on making it better. Most detector brands haven't been this responsive so close to rollout. The only complaint I have is that I'm a Mac user and I hate windows because I'm not a computer guy who figures out workarounds. I'm an end user and not having a mac IOS to update sucks. Other than that I have no regrets in my purchase. 

It looks like the v0.7 update released today matures the D2 by quite a lot.  :biggrin:

Goodbye "00" id hot rocks signaling while out prospecting, a real prospecting/relic threshold and perhaps less iron target falsing like I saw using DeepHC program.  Those are areas that needed improvement from what I noticed in my few weeks with the D2 and are welcome changes along with the long list of other tweaks.  Exciting times for D2 users.