Aussie 1914 Sixpence

The last day of my recent trip to Australia I was hunting a spot several people had just found some little gold nuggets on. We were all using the new Garrett Axiom PI detector. I wanted to what, if anything, they had left behind. I got a couple small high/low tones, that can mean small gold, but turned out to be shotgun pellets. Still, they should not have missed those. Then I got a soft low/high tone. This can mean a larger gold nugget, but usually means a trash target. But the spot had produced gold, so I went ahead and dug it, just in case.

Imagine my surprise when out popped what was obviously a coin, with a hint of silver showing. I had found my only coin of the trip, a silver 1914 Australian sixpence. I had a dozen nuggets also, but the coin is for me the better find, as nuggets are something I find a lot of. Silver not so much, and Aussie silver - my first!

2022-herschbach-australia-pert-two--gold-nuggets-1.18gram.jpg

Sounds like you had to much fun on this business trip, but it couldn't have happened to a better man.

Good luck on your next hunt and I hope you get plenty of rest from your trip.

That must have been a fun time. I always dream of hunting nuggets in Australia or the hammered fields of England. But I'm afraid I'd get skunked 😄 so I stick close to home.  Boy gold nuggets do have their appeal 😍