Nugget Finder 17" X 13" Z Search GPZ 7000 Coil

cobill

G'day oz gold. I have used the 17x13 z a few times now, but sadly have not been able to run in normal yet.

The grass is still very long atm, and I have cabin fever bad....I want to go over a patch I have already hot very hard, and at least try normal, I have a plan. It's on a slight up hill incline, very slight, and the gold I have found has all been at the same level, only about 6 to 8 inches Max, but.....as I go further up hill, no targets at all. Maybe if I can stand the ground noise in normal, I might get through the over burden to the same level......but as the ground will be damp for at least another 3 or 4 weeks, if we don't get anymore rain, I will have to wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TE Gold said:

Maybe if I can stand the ground noise in normal, I might get through the over burden to the same level......

Your theory is a sound one, I have a location that normal doesn't run well on the GPZ, you have to have good coil control, take it slow and put up with a noise and false signals however, you still get the depth and sensitivity benefits on normal.  I have found nuggets because I forced myself to run in normal in a productive area, when I switch to difficult they do not exist.   I had an expert tell me it's the wrong thing to do and I should be in difficult when I put a video up of a nugget find and the detectors behaviour in the soil but I had a local guy (JW) that does it all the time tell me it's the right thing to do in this situation and it turns out the local guy was right as its a successful approach.  Yes it is noisy and can be annoying but you still gain depth doing it.

I believe and from what I've seen there isn't all that much difference in performance between normal/difficult on the 6000, still obviously better in normal just not as dramatic as the GPZ.

A smoother running coil like the 17x13" should help with that too you would expect.  Good luck with your mission, sounds like an exciting one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still thinking of getting the 17x13. Thus far, I like the 12-Zsearch as it strives a great balance between weight, stability and depth. Re settings, no rules exist that fit all needs. I have areas where general/difficult hears nuggets that HY/normal does not. The best thing to do is to adjust settings based on the ground/environment conditions, rather than sticking to always the same. I have done this mistake before. This is part of using your machine effectively, and why I like the options the GPZ has to offer.

GC

• Like 3

Provided there is minimal salt content in the ground, the 17x13" will be more successful running Normal than the 12" coil. But in difficult ground, I am finding General/Difficult to still offer excellent depth and retain a lot of sensitivity. If I get a very iffy signal, I switch to HY to check. 

• Like 7

• 9 months later...
On 2023/4/26 at PM12点18分, PhaseTech said:

我收到非常不稳定的信号

On 2023/4/26 at PM12点18分, PhaseTech said:

如果地面中的盐含量最少,17x13" 线圈将比 12" 线圈更成功地正常运行。但在困难的情况下,我发现一般/困难仍然可以提供出色的深度并保留很多灵敏度。如果我收到非常不稳定的信号,我会切换到 HY 进行检查。 

changing from difficult to high yield would need a GB again, do you use ferrite ring and quick track together to go through again or just pump the coil? Thanks.

14 hours ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

changing from difficult to high yield would need a GB again, do you use ferrite ring and quick track together to go through again or just pump the coil? Thanks.

Difficult and High Yield can run at the same time. 

If changing from High Yield into General (or vice versa), I check my ferrite balance. Now I'm usually in Semi Auto GB, so I can ground balance by just pumping the coil, but the ferrite balance needs to be done with the Quick Trak button. So if I'm not getting a response from the ferrite, I just pump the coil and go. If I am getting a response, then press Quick Trak and sweep over the ferrite until it's no longer responding. 

The machine saves a different ferrite balance for each Ground Type/Gold Mode combination, so you only have to do it once. 

• Like 5