The 12x7 Exceed On The 6000 Is A Beast

Thanks Aureous, that is entirely what I expected, logic says a 10x5" with the same windings type is going to be more sensitive than a 12x7" it's just the odd person says they think the 12x7" is more sensitive.   I don't mind, I expected the 10x5" to be more sensitive and I was intending to use the 12x7" for covering more ground as I don't want to use the 14x9" for that, it lacks too much sensitivity for me.  The extra depth of the 12x7" will be nice over the 10x5" too when exploring around.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I hope you're right Rob, I guess I'll soon see.... this little beauty arrived in the mail for me today.

12x7.jpg.5802f0ecced09a82bd07787f249ed97e.jpg

Time to put it up against the stock 11" and the 10x5" and see which is most sensitive, no point putting it up against my14x9" as I know the 12x7 has won already.

nice, I hope it goes well for you.  I know your ground is way milder then here in WA where we are detecting, but can you do some kind of comparison between the the new 12x7 and the original 11" standard mono coil

I'm still using the 11 mono that came with the 6000, I've had the new 6000 for about 5 or 6 weeks now and detected with it for nearly 5 weeks at the most, and it has a bit over 90 grams of gold so far, so it has more than covered it's purchase price.

cheers dave

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, davsgold said:

but can you do some kind of comparison between the the new 12x7 and the original 11" standard mono coil

What makes the biggest difference between the stock coil and the 12x7 is the winding type, the shielding quality and the 'footprint'.... The stock coil is a flat-wound mono (with some winding defects thrown in) which accentuates the ground noise signal. The shielding quality is low (less than half the ohms what it should be) and unequal with an ineffective screen wire. The footprint is 11" width versus 7" although the overall sq Inch is similar. That narrow width in conjunction with correct shielding and a more sensible & effective winding type (overlaid square bundle) makes for a far superior coil with a lot less ground signal for the processor to combat and pluck audible signals from. I've said it before....the stock 11" is a junk coil compared to the Coiltek and NF offerings. It works, but not well.

Well done on the 1/2oz per week average, I got half that here in Vic over the course of my 1st 3 months on the 6000. 

• Like 4

The beauty of the 11" stock coil is it's extreme sensitivity for it's size.  In my milder soils it keeps up with or exceeds the 10x5" for sensitivity while also providing more depth, it's problems are it's quite noisy which I put down to it's sensitivity however it could be the factors you've mentioned above. 

There seems to be also a large inconsistency in build quality of the 11" coils, I'm on my second one and my new one is night and day vs my old one, it was very noisy, went whacky all the time and just drove me mad, my new one is much better.  Some people seem to get lucky and get a good one, Davsgold likely has as he's doing very well with his and not complaining about instability or a crazy detector and I can understand that, as my new one is much better than my old one to the point I'm quite happy with my 11", still concerned about it's dodgy plastic and ears cracking and so on but hopefully that happens while under warranty as they've improved that now on the latest revision of the coil so I'd like to get it swapped to the newest version at some point.

JW really likes his 11", loves the thing in fact, it's served him very well, ,he's on his second one also, both of his were fine though, one just completely died out of the blue one day but was working fine before that.

The 10x5" is more stable as is the 14x9", and hopefully my new 12x7".   I've probably run more coils on these high end detectors than most so have a pretty good feel for how a coil will perform based on size/windings as it's quite possible the 12x7" will be the sweet spot compromise for me, not too small, not too big, the right sort of size for the common gold in my area without losing too much ground coverage.  I find it hard to pick up the 6000 though when the 7000 is staring at me like I'm cheating on it and it's served me very well and continues to be the detector I like using the most so I usually want to take both with me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I find it hard to pick up the 6000 though when the 7000 is staring at me like I'm cheating on it

I know that feeling..... not so long ago I owned 4 detectors and choosing only one felt like a betrayal to the others lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

I find it hard to pick up the 6000 though when the 7000 is staring at me like I'm cheating on it and it's served me very well and continues to be the detector I like using the most so I usually want to take both with me.

I feel the same way! Wish I could swing them both at the same time 🙂

• Like 3

Use what ever coil you want  my friend     I thought  this forum was not to insult  a persons  opinion i am not odd   

6 minutes ago, Felix arami said:

Use what ever coil you want  my friend     I thought  this forum was not to insult  a persons  opinion i am not odd   

Sorry I wasn't saying you were odd, I was saying the occasional person is saying the 12x7" is more sensitive than the 10x5" so I wanted to find out as I want to use the most sensitive coil for the small gold I have around here.  The 12x7" appears to be a great coil.

I agree  no argument   but I prefer  12 x7  get back to me after you run the 12x7  I would like to here  your thoughts 

• Like 1

The 12x7 is by far the most stable coil out so far for the 6000. This is just my observation as I hunt for gold full-time for a living with my 6000 & 5000 for two years now. Every day use tells me a lot of data and my deepest nuggets since having my 6000 have been with the 12x7 except for two nuggets. Both of these were with the 11" and 17" Minelab coils. Anyone know when the 10"x16" will be released.? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1