6 Days At The Beach, Meh

On 7/27/2023 at 8:50 AM, F350Platinum said:

I condensed this all to one post because quite honestly it wasn't a spectacular week despite finding a ring for a woman, and getting out as much as I did. By 10am the beach was packed, and I found I was pretty much the only detectorist on the beach every day, but don't know if anyone was nighthawking.

I think you did ok and you put in your time. I have gone several weeks without any gold or good finds, hang in their trooper! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, midalake said:

I think you did ok and you put in your time. I have gone several weeks without any gold or good finds, hang in there troper! 

Thanks man,

I wondered if it was just me. 😀 Haven't seen many other finds posts, so I did it anyway to show the lurkers it's not all wine and roses. 🙄 At least I got some silver.

I'm figuring after doing my own ring test that if gold was there I would have found it, or it was too deep for the D2. I'll admit I didn't chase a few really faint signals, and the ones I did were all crap. 🙂

Here's hoping we both have better luck!

🥂

• Like 2

You did good, especially if the significant other is happy 😄 I've been victim to running out of drinks when it's hot and humid like that. Things can go downhill fast. Nice to see the Deus is getting down deep on that sand. I bet heavy things are buried very deep there, probably beyond anyone's reach.  But 6 days of beach hunting sounds like a dream to me 🥰

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

You did good, especially if the significant other is happy 😄 I've been victim to running out of drinks when it's hot and humid like that. Things can go downhill fast. Nice to see the Deus is getting down deep on that sand. I bet heavy things are buried very deep there, probably beyond anyone's reach.  But 6 days of beach hunting sounds like a dream to me 🥰

Thanks!

Yes the first time I had stopped sweating and was a bit dizzy, drank two bottles of Gatorade and sat in the shade for about 15 minutes. Going up all those stairs was a bit of a test. 🙄

I get to do this 3 times or more a year, Myrtle Beach (We used to go to Tybee Island), Emerald isle, and the Outer Banks. The Outer Banks campground has relic hunting and sometimes water, but I have to get in it from a dock and it's often too deep.

Scratches the itch for sure, all my farm permissions are planted. Got two local beaches that have stuff on them too. One is about 50 yards, and the other is about 3/4 mile.

A couple years ago I met a guy with a Sovereign digging craters there, he showed me a gold ring. Yeah, Emerald Isle would be the place for you! 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Isn't that sand basically pulverized coral?

No, it's silica sand. Silica is used to make glass and other materials. I googled it and seems it's a predominate mineral in the earth's crust. Dankowski says set your ground balance to zero when hunting dry silica sand since it's basically glass. When you move to wet you have a more conductive material with the salt added so you have to ground balance the wet sand or while hunting in the water.

I'm not sure if the sand you were in is silica, but that's what we have down here.

2 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Dankowski says set your ground balance to zero when hunting dry silica sand since it's basically glass. When you move to wet you have a more conductive material with the salt added so you have to ground balance the wet sand or while hunting in the water.

While I really think Dankowski is a master on a detector. One has to always watch their own settings. Where I hunt, there are black sand concentrations on dry sand that are higher than at the wet sand or water contact.  I am not sure Dankowski has ever set foot on a black sand beach from how he speaks.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, midalake said:

While I really think Dankowski is a master on a detector. One has to always watch their own settings. Where I hunt, there are black sand concentrations on dry sand that are higher than at the wet sand or water contact.  I am not sure Dankowski has ever set foot on a black sand beach from how he speaks.  

Agree completely with this, I was able to use beach sensitive in the water, some others use the diving program. Variable salt conditions, black sand and other minerals. My program works well but was only tested in my conditions.

You have to fiddle with the settings to get what works for you. Thus far the vanilla programs have not produced the best results. Most of fiddling is by logic and understanding the controls (read the manual) the rest is "feel" and knowing what strata you are dealing with.

• Like 2