The Legend V.1.14 Beta-1 Beast

On 4/11/2024 at 8:49 PM, JCR said:

It is worth experimenting with.

I did notice “coil knock” on ground stubble in Beast mode. Lowering the sensitivity did reduce but not eliminate the knock. Good coil management is a challenge on a 60 degree brush covered slope but possible. The big plus with Beast mode was the ability to prospect for gold on a site saturated with hot rocks at depth. The Legend 01-60 TID range does concentrate a lot of small shallow targets in the narrow lower range. The LG15 6” coil may be better for those tight rocky target holes. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, HardPack said:

I did notice “coil knock” on ground stubble in Beast mode. Lowering the sensitivity did reduce but not eliminate the knock. Good coil management is a challenge on a 60 degree brush covered slope but possible. The big plus with Beast mode was the ability to prospect for gold on a site saturated with hot rocks at depth. The Legend 01-60 TID range does concentrate a lot of small shallow targets in the narrow lower range. The LG15 6” coil may be better for those tight rocky target holes. 

I tried out Beast mode today and noticed the "coil knock" also.I have no gold here and overall the BM seemed a lot like Field or Park on M2 with Pitch Tones. I was using the LG24 but agree that 6" coil might be a little better  in the crowded situations.

I was able to get out yesterday and finally do some proper testing with DT and BM. I was experimenting in a public park with low mineralization.

To start though, nowhere in the update description does it say that DT or BM goes deeper. The description states that these modes are designed to better separate nonferrous targets from the ground signal and ferrous objects.

DT was working well in my testing. It very often turned a one way signal or an iffy one way signal, into solid 2 way nonferrous hits. It normally did so with clean audio and accurate IDs.

BM worked well on about 30% of the fringe targets. With the other 70% of fringe targets, it either did no better, or did worse than Park Mode. BM also severely up averaged nonferrous targets, but that effect was more pronounced on lower conductors like foil.

From what I've read, other than the depth thing, many are expecting BM to give accurate audio and ID, but I don't think that's possible. I mean, BM is designed for fringe targets. Fringe targets don't contain enough information to have accurate audio and ID. That is the very nature of fringe targets. That's why I don't think BM can provide better ID and audio than the other modes. All it can do (sometimes), is give an "on" audio response to indicate a nonferrous target, when other modes can't.

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

BM also severely up averaged nonferrous targets, but that effect was more pronounced on lower conductors like foil.

100% matches what I'm seeing in limited testing. In BM, what would be 11-13s are upaveraging into nickel range (23-27), but a copper penny at 45/46 in Park M3 swings between 43-46 in BM.

My area has had a bunch of rain late this past week, so what little testing I've done has been in saturated soil. As a result, I've been trying out DT in Park M3, and alternating to BM and vice versa on any hits.

Not nearly enough time or targets under my belt to draw any definitive conclusions, however. I will say BM tone-wise is like a shrill recorder/whistling sound on non-ferrous targets. It really gets ones attention!

8 minutes ago, glacialgold said:

100% matches what I'm seeing in limited testing. In BM, what would be 11-13s are upaveraging into nickel range (23-27), but a copper penny at 45/46 in Park M3 swings between 43-46 in BM.

My area has had a bunch of late this past week, so what little testing I've done has been in saturated soil. As a result, I've been trying out DT in Park M3, and alternating to BM and vice versa on any hits.

Not nearly enough time or targets under my belt to draw any definitive conclusions, however. I will say BM tone-wise is like a shrill recorder/whistling sound on non-ferrous targets. It really gets ones attention!

I dug a lot of foil in the mid to high twenties in BM, that correctly gave low teen IDs in Park mode. But again, BM doesn't seem meant for ID accuracy. Rather, just meant to make a sound on nonferrous. And yes, when swinging along and BM sees a nonferrous target...it stops me dead in my tracks. That's why I previously said it was a screamer 🙂

My testing and comparisons were done with the natural swings we do while hunting. Testing by honing in on the target and doing the short wiggle, isn't a valid testing procedure in my books, because no one hunts like that. The advantages of DT and BM are more evident using a natural swing, instead of the short wiggle.

I used BM for a couple hours today while relic hunting today. I'm not sure if it was meant for this but I liked how it performed. Most of the ferrous stuff came in at 4 or 5 and when the ferro-check said ferrous that's what it was...no falsing at all! I had a few times where it rang up in the 40s   and ferro-check said non ferrous and it was brass clock parts or other non ferrous stuff. Maybe its my imagination but it sure seemed like the ferro-check was more accurate in the BM mode.  I am happy with it so far but I need some clarification on the 2nd Ground balance...what exactly does that mean?

Found this notice posted on the Nokta Facebook account:

Nokta Detectors

ATTENTION!

Dear Valued Legend users,

It seems like many have not understood the Beast Mode! This includes even some of the more experienced users.

Please be patient and we will make a demonstration of it for you! Please refrain from making comments such as ''it doesn't work'' unless you really understand the goal of it and how you can test it.

Testing it with coins that you can already detect in other modes will not demonstrate the capabilities of the mode!

Hang tight...we will show it to you soon! Thanks in advance for your patience.

This is encouraging but should have been provided at release. Detailed descriptions & application is always needed/helpful.   I'm sure glad Nokta is so responsive to their users.

We will see how close it might be related to the Anfibio/Impact Gen D modes.

3 minutes ago, JCR said:

This is encouraging but should have been provided at release. Detailed descriptions & application is always needed/helpful.   I'm sure glad Nokta is so responsive to their users.

Agreed. With a mode so "different" as BM is, a demo before release would have been very helpful.

I'm still thinking BM is a niche mode. Relic hunting in iron infested sites maybe?

How did Gen D mode work JCR?