Rye Patch Nevada Rare Specimen Gold, Crystals, Field Training & Photos

One of the hardest things to do at Rye Patch NV proper, is to find a specimen gold piece attached to quartz.

Not sure how many of my Rye Patch NV swinging buddies are left from the mid 90's but we all have agreed on a couple things when it comes to gold at RP.  Chevron gold is the most desired and valuable. There have been some amazing high dollar pieces discovered at the patch.

Specimen gold on the other hand (gold and quartz mixed) is most rare to find at Rye Patch than many realize, why is that?  I personally have found thousands of nuggets and have seen 10X dug up from all the local legends back then.  But to see a piece of gold with quarts on it that came from RP, just does not seem to happen.  There's big quartz boulders and quartz pockets scattered all over that area.  Heck, one of the locals (Peg-Leg) used to dig out some of the pockets to discover massive beautiful clusters and even single solid monster crystals, but he never found any with gold.

This is the largest specimen I have ever seen from Rye Patch proper and it was found in 2005/6 by one of my customers (Scott from Idaho) with a GP-3500 right near the burn barrel.

As for me and all the thousands of nuggets I've collected in my 30 yrs of detecting RP, I have only found 2 small nuggets in the 2 to 3 gram range that had a piece of quartz attached.

Anyone else seen specimen gold come from Rye Patch?  Do any of you geology experts know why we are not seeing it happen more often, especially with all the quartz rocks and crystal pockets that are exposed out there?

On a side note -  My 1st of 2024 Rye Patch Field Training is coming up next weekend.  Anyone wanting to learn some real hands on Field Knowledge and up your chances of finding that beautiful and expensive rare gold, contact Gerry's Detectors at 208-345-8898 for details.

Scott.jpg

8.jpg

DSCN4210c.JPG

4-12-09FSg.JPG

DSCN7864.JPG

June RP4.JPG

DSCN0066.JPG

Markb.JPG

TrnFrank1.jpg

3.jpg

I've only ever found one small gold-quartz specimen at Rye Patch; definitely a mystery as to why the vast majority of Rye Patch nuggets found are free of quartz.

Looking forward to helping out at the upcoming detector training class, Gerry. The weather forecast for the 3 days looks fantastic - sunny and 70+ degrees!😎

Lunk some of our previous customers were out there the last couple days and each found a few.

Rob scored 3 with his Garrett Axiom and DD coil.

Looking forward to another great group of people. 

11895.jpeg

That is some impressive looking gold, except for the last picture. I would have lost that nugget the instant I saw the snake. I hate snakes and will kill them all if they are near me.

9 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

That is some impressive looking gold, except for the last picture. I would have lost that nugget the instant I saw the snake. I hate snakes and will kill them all if they are near me.

What is worse my friend, snakes or...

VideoCapture_20211028-202609.thumb.jpg.293ca863071a2cc95683ae67087547df.jpg

big hairy spiders?  Rye Patch has both.

NVa1.thumb.jpg.0df9e2741311e6d79dbb36eedc86b4f9.jpg

Here’s one of my Buddies Poke from a Hunt at Rye Patch.  I’ve only found like 3 Nuggets with Quartz attached to them out there.  But, he found a little Nugget with a Quartz Crystal attached…I think he still has it?

Rick

IMG_2047.jpeg

Wow that is a spectacular piece of gold. Thank you for sharing Gerry.

image.png.db6f32d29dd6bdc8f29d93d5a8042306.png

Gold with quartz attached has remained elusive to me too, JW has found a few bits, even recently he found one.  I just can't seem to do it, although they appear very rare around here.

I mostly just find water warn smooth bits.

13 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

What is worse my friend,  big hairy spiders or snakes

I think grandfather played that song a few times, and I agree with it. Kill them all at first sight.

I have been bitten by brown recluse, and black widow's, so I don't like them. I was down over 500 feet deep in my sub when the black widow got me and I assure you it will never happen again. As for the snakes I will chop them into little pieces very quickly every time.