A Great Weekend With The Equinox

strick

I probably have about 20 or so  hours on the machine right now. Been staying in Park 1 or Field 1. I like 5 tones and reactivity somewhere around 6-7. Iron Bias zero. Auto GB. The machine  can smack high conductors in iron infested relic spots or in a trashy park...which is good and bad.... good for relic hunting but bad in parks because it sometimes makes me want to just go for the high conductors and I like looking for gold mostly. 

Yesterday I hit an old town site. Been there many times...Old coins are hard to come by but there are still lots of targets. The place dates back to the 1890's Found lots of targets but the best find was a 1909 Portola Festival medallion. Part of the fun of relic hunting is figuring out what the heck you got. In 1909 San Francisco threw a big party to celebrate the rebuilding of the city after the big earthquake of 1906. All it takes is one good find a day and I'm done so I was finished by 11am. 

I like to mix up my detecting between relic and jewelry hunting. Beaches are a little ways away so for convenience I hunt parks mostly and some schools if I can get in them. 

Today I hit a park that has produce only one gold ring and a vary small gold pendant in the past. I kept telling myself that I know there is more gold to be found. It's a lovely park with lots of trees and a baseball field. The best part was know body  was there when I showed up at 8 am this morning. I began by hunting close to the tables, trees and a nice grassy knoll where lovers like to lay...got a junk ring right off the bat with pretty stones and I was getting lots of low conductors...a deep nickel here and there. Been over this area many times with my CTX. Lucky to find a really high conductor. The first time there I found a beautiful 1 ounce Sterling silver cross with 32 rocks in it. After about an hour of stealth hunting for a gold ring I head over to some small bleachers that sit behind the the baseball field. I've stayed away from the area (about 30 feet by 15 feet) due to all the trash  the CTX it would become over whelmed. Today I just cranked the reactivity on the Nox up to 7 and jammed through the area FAST and was just picking out the higher conductors. It's amazing how fast this machine is.... I was having fun...had a junk ring and a pouch full of coins by the time I was done there. 

I was getting tired from all the digging so I decided to head out to the ball field where there are less targets lol...after about 20 min of the ball field I decide it's time to head home as it's now 10am and theres work to do... so start making my way toward the the truck. I'm now between 1st and second base about 15 feet from the infield and I get another 15 on the Equinox. Another pull tab I guess but you never know so I dig probably the 20th 15 of the morning. flip the small plug back and I see gold...and some yellow crap next to the gold...I'm blind so I put on my readers and immediately see a gold chain...YES! After carefully digging a wide margin it's out... a beautiful mens gold crucifix and chain. Attached to the chain is a small  junk Oakland A's emblem with a playboy bunny and a yellow sticker. Immediately I wonder did the detector see the gold chain and crucifix or did it see the junk Oakland A's emblem. 

After I got home I found a clear spot on the grass and  tested the chain with the emblem on it with both the Nox and the CTX. 12.18 on the CTX loud and clear...still a 15 loud and clear with the Nox. I cut off the junk brass emblem and re test...The neither the CTX or the Nox can hear the chain. It's invisible to both. The Nox picks up the crucifix but it's only a 4 on the screen. It will hit it solid about 5 inches above the ground. The CTX can barely pick up the crucifix 12.01 and you almost have to rub the coil over it. Next I take out my TDI pro...it hits it but to my surprise the Nox hits it as good or better. Next I test the Oakland A's emblem all by itself and the Nox hits it at a solid 15 :biggrin:   so the only reason I found the gold chain is because of the Junk pendant!  So the moral of the story is....dig it all! 

The crucifix, chain and clasps are all individually stamped 14k (Michael Anthony) and it's just shy of 18 grams...Been wanting one of these for a long time and it fits perfect. 

strick 

20180421_141249.jpg

20180421_141310.jpg

20180422_104237.jpg

20180422_105650.jpg

20180422_105810.jpg

20180422_111354.jpg

20180422_112306.jpg

Very cool. It always seems like the best finds come on the walk back to the truck. 

Well done!  Thanks for the details.

I've looked for a park or a field to hunt for a couple of days and they are all too well groomed.

I stop, look and keep driving.

Mitchel

That's is certainly one beautiful chain and cross.

When you said the Nox wouldn't hit it, was that in Park 1 or did you try Park 2 as well?  I find it surprising since its a braided chain and not open link which would make it a much tougher target to hit.

Tom

Awesome, very ornate find.  Gold cross fantastic. You off to a good start............:biggrin:

Very Nice find ! 

I have noted the same thing , the nox is deeper than ctx/etrac on tiny gold, but thiny silver too!  And of course on the other metal. 

This machine incredibily good,  in 80% on my beach hunt have a piece of gold .

The real problem with the nox is that too many people have or will have one :laugh: ...

6 hours ago, Jackpine said:

When you said the Nox wouldn't hit it, was that in Park 1 or did you try Park 2 as well?  I find it surprising since its a braided chain and not open link which would make it a much tougher target to hit.

Tom

Tom I only tried the mode I was hunting in which was park 1 I'll try the other modes and see what they do and get back. The Nox did see the clasp but barely. There was lots of EMI when I got home and turned on the machine and I cranked the sensitivity down to around 20 if I remember right. Will get back with more info later. Thanks for the thumbs up folks!

strick

9 hours ago, vive equinox said:

The real problem with the nox is that too many people have or will have one :laugh: ...

Agree went to the beach about a week and a half ago and seen 3 different people swinging one. 

Tried the chain this morning with Park 2 and it hits it loud and clear a solid 1 on the VDI. 

strick

That’s an awesome find, congrats!!

There’s a HUGE sports park near my house, I’ve always thought about detecting it strictly looking for jewelry, no idea if it’s uber trashy or not.  I need to test it out one night (it’s so busy I don’t think you could detect it during the daytime). 

It could be a gold mine, or it could be a great place to collect pull tabs lol