ZED Settings For The Sake Of Discussion

We'll make a few assumptions.  Hot ground in the US is generally not the same as hot ground in AU.  So we're here in USA, no particular EMI and you're purring along in your favorite ZED settings.  You come to some hot ground, let's say red clay with a smattering of hot rocks or more likely "cold rocks" that is the rocks that tend to make the threshold go null then wang the audio when the threshold tries to catch up.  The ground is causing your machine to get all twitchy and you can no longer hear the subtle threshold changes for faint targets.

In this situation, which one adjustment would you reach for first?  Lower the gain/sensitivity, raise the smoothing, switch timings etc..?

To me that's the definition of a good time to switch to Difficult. Same time I'd reach for the Enhance switch on the GPX.

The manual also states you need to retune after changing ground or gold modes, but I find that completely unnecessary. Running in autotrack it seems to readjust fast enough to not have to do a quicktrack trigger pull between changes also. I just let my coil sit on the ground for about 1-2 seconds after the blanking to let the autotrack balance itself out.

Now, I'm sure there is a completely sane technical reason that people who have a deeper understanding of the behind the scenes working of the machine can explain about why this absolutely must be done between every mode change. But in the field I haven't noticed any differences at all but this may also be due to the mild soil I'm in.

I'm curious, have others found it to be necessary? Does it relate to the severity of grounds you are in?

No I haven`t had to retrack on changing modes as yet. But I haven`t altered too much from the default, it gets the heavy stuff why bother? In a year or so with use I may change things, a bit slow I guess, after my time with the 5000 I hadn`t changed much from default. I just figure the Minelab Guru`s know what they are on about, they`ve proved that.

No worries:

"The GPZ remembers its GB position when you go from one gold mode to another, however from a fresh power on state you need to perform the GB procedure as described in the White Paper to be sure the GB is accurate, this procedure is recommended for every Gold mode you intend to use in that session."

JP

So just perform the initial GB procedure in each Gold Mode and Ground Type at power on and you're good to go for the rest of the session. A little time consuming, but it saves time and trouble by not having to re-ground balance every time you change modes.