Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tvanwho

A Mining Adventure From Last Year, Still Pondering...

20 posts in this topic

I keep on having strange things happen at sites I map dowsed for gold and minerals, one time for treasure.
Just wondering if this ever happens to anybody else? This last time I am 95% sure I was talking to a ghost woman
in the Maine woods and trying not to be attacked by her snarling white Labrador dog. She seemed to know I was searching for something? I was trying to find a gemstone deposit I had left alone in them woods 30 years previous when I had found this perfect dark blue pointed hexagonal  crystal under a rock formation, long as my index finger, and flawless, sun shining thru it but could not bear to break it off...dammit...was in the right place at the right time for a change...might have been a dark blue topaz crystal I am thinking now...
Somehow she knew I was looking to find it I am thinking? This woman looked just as real as anybody else that I see every day and ditto for her dog but I thought it was rather odd she was out in the deep woods wearing short shorts and the ferocious pooch NEVER once barked at me, just was snarling, growling, teeth bared, looked like it wanted to tear my face off, and unleashed, and she did nothing to calm it down...She also had a leather thing on her belt, by her hip, which she kept pointing towards me.It looked too small to be a pistol holster, am guessing it was about 3 x3 inches square.
I had a heavy knapsack of rock busting tools and a 6 foot crowbar in hand but was exhausted from my hike up and down steep hills
and trying not to fall down in the rocks along the creek. I was standing beside the creek, admiring the tumbling mountain waters
when I turned around and the 2 of them were right behind me.
She asked for my name and I gave her my first name. Then she says she was out for a walk in the woods to see who might be out there. I had got all my permissions arranged but she did not accuse me of trespassing. Just wanted to know what I was Searching for? I told her I was kinda lost and my car was parked by the ford. But she seemed to NOT know what a ford was until I explained it to her. So then she points up the hill behind her and says that trail will take you back to your car.
I only took my eyes off her and the angry dog for a few seconds but when I turned back , she and the mean dog had totally vanished
, no branches cracking, nothing...I took this event as a sign I should give up my search for the crystal deposit and hoofed it back to my car. When I went by the shop where I had to get the permissions, I related my tale. One of the workers lived barely 1/2 mile from where the incident happened and told me she didn't have a clue who the woman washuh.gif?
Dunno if I will ever get brave enough to go look for the crystals again now? Heck, how do you test if you are talking to a ghost
vs a real person and that snarling dog? Heck, I couldn't move a muscle without that beast tensing his hind legs, looking to tear me to pieces... I never heard of ghosts guarding mineral deposits ,only pirate gold....

-Tom

5 people like this

Sounds like a hippy! :biggrin: I dont know, pretty creepy.

I thought ghosts wore bed sheets with 2 hole cut out for eyes, not shorts.

1 person likes this

You just have to ask them if they are corporeal or not...ghosts can't lie.

1 person likes this

Tom,

Some of my Haunts are Haunted...I will take a pointy finger anytime!

Rick

2 people like this

Should of called Ghost Busters.......always worked for me.....

1 person likes this

Hello Tom… I hope but doubt you’ll remember some of our exchanges on this subject back on Steve’s AMDS Adventure Forum. I asked you then and do so again… do you understand the source of power that moves your gadgetry when you are map dowsing for minerals? It doesn’t move itself, and is certainly not moved by you. When you dabble in the supernatural, there could be possible risks or consequences, but I doubt that you really care. I also doubt that is the case in this instance.

I’d prefer to assure you that you saw some local young woman taking her dog for a walk. Her attire is irrelevant, shorty shorts don’t suggest that she’s either a ghost or a loosey goosey dancehall floozy. It implies that she prefers to be comfortable in the warm weather. That three-inch square case that was pointed at you may have contained a derringer or small container of pepper spray, and these possibilities certainly repudiate any notion that you were dealing with anything but mortal flesh. Moreover, the sounds of the tumbling brook would help to sufficiently mask her arrival behind you or in leaving, especially if she remained on a pathway. Be glad that she wasn't a pack of feral dogs on the hunt.

On several occasions I’ve experienced the power that moves dowsing rods. Most recently in my work life, we asked about the location of a landfill site discharge pipe. The engineer produced two aluminum dowsing rods and promptly located the pipe. I asked to try the rods, and sure enough they both turned to the outside to line up perfectly over the buried pipe. I’ve dowsed for graphite and felt the wood twigs arch so strongly down that they could have easily snapped. 

It is easy to imagine how dowsing could be intriguing and addictive. Incidentally, I have those aluminum rods as a gift to this day but only use them for bottle probing at old cabin sites when out prospecting silver in northern Ontario.

Regardless of your religious beliefs or otherwise, as a resource on the subject, certainly references are made to spirits throughout the pages of the Bible. Those references are not terribly flattering. A knowledgeable, rational individual would not willingly invite them into the house for any reason. 

Unless your map dowsing technique has encouraged you in the hobby and resulted in some satisfactory mineral finds, why not at least supplement them with some basic research? Perhaps arrive at the research area and then go to dowsing for specific places to investigate. This modus operandi might save you any further questionable experiences when alone in the bush. 

Jim.

PS: You described that blue crystal years ago on the AMDS forum, and I mentioned the hexagonal crystal structure could indicate tourmaline… a commonplace occurrence in Maine.

6 people like this

It is rather fascinating the differing subjective realities we each live in. Our realities are probably similar in most ways Tom, but at a very profound level you and I live in two different worlds. I love science fiction and fantasy, but the world I live in does not include the supernatural. My world is a magical enough place as it is without adding that extra dimension to things.

Therefore while similar things may occur in my life they are not as memorable as they have far duller explanations. Perhaps that extra dimension adds something to your life that is missing in mine. You at least will have ghost stories to tell people while I never will.

6 people like this

I believe your story. I too have had some "interesting experiences" over the years and  to this day struggle to try explaining in some logical way. When asked if I believe in ghosts I reply; "not sure but I really don't have any reason to not believe either."

I have heard it said that if you believe in God you must also believe in spirits.  OK....... I suppose this is deep enough for a  metal detecting venue

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By klunker
        I was detecting a steep narrow gulch with a vertical wall on one side and thick viscous thorn bushes on the other when a red eyed golden fanged rattle snake slithered out from a crevasse right at the level of my jugular vein. As the snake coiled back to deliver my slow painful death, I leaped straight up about 5', did a 360 degree pirouette, an delivered a stunning, precise, back hand blow with my GPZ7000 light saber and bonked the ol' snake right on the noggin. The snake crawled back into his hole in humiliated defeat and I continued detecting. I then found one of golden fangs that I had dislodged during the brief battle for my life.
        There my be one or two of you that question the truth of parts of my story so I have retained the services of Sourdough Scott to present photographic proof, should it become necessary. 
    • By Norvic
      Ok NursePaul touched down in OZ, picked him up on Saturday, but in his excitement to get over here he forgot his ports with clothes, Z, etc etc. no no regardless of what he says about Airlines, that`s my story and I`m going to stick to it. 
      We are having a lot of trouble communicating, I don`t know what version of English you Yanks use but tis French to me for sure............ So here we are waiting for his gear coming via Pony Express-Cobb & Co and I`ve got the best excuse I`ve every had as to why I`m not finding gold.....................But the xxxx is good yes/no..............and we are sort working out sign language, although judging by the smoke coming out his ears I think we will switch to smoke signals...............
    • By LuckyLundy
      All Winter/Spring in Rye Patch this year was a tough deal fighting the ground noise.  We knew we had to wait till Summer for the ground to dry out for some spots that hold the deep gold.  Robin & I, were on and extended road trip that started for a few days in Laughlin, NV and a hunt out in the gold basin area.  Then a short drive to Las Vegas for a couple days and then ending up in Reno stopping here and there for a hunt on placers along the way.  During this time, a couple Buddies where sending me pictures of their Rye Patch poke.  Braving the heat and with night hunts fighting off the Rattlers with some impressive pokes!  While in Reno, they told me to checkout weather for the upcoming weekend!  What Spring time conditions in June! 😳 We made our hunt plans.  I got home and unpacked Robin's Jeep and tossed my Detecting gear in my truck and the next morning bright and early hit the road with some heavy rains on the California side of the hill on I-80.  Rains, gave way to partly cloudy in Nevada...new speed limit East of Fernly, NV is 80 mph, what!  My hunting partners Rudy & Steve caught me in Lovelock filling my truck up and off we went...arriving at Rudy's last spot of deep nuggets at 11:00 am.  Rudy, deployed out of Steve's pickup like a seasoned Veteran and was on his little patch as Steve and I, was still gearing up!  He had two nuggets before we hardly had our detectors tuned, each around a foot deep.  I knew the area and gave Rudy a wide berth respecting his 23" biceps 💪 as he swings and extra large pick with rocks flying in all directions on each swing of his pick.  I soon, popped two deep nuggets and Steve yanked out a fabulous 2 dwt Chevron.  We had to run back to the trucks as a heavy downpour of rain gave us a break for a late lunch.  Soon after, hit it again, or should I say Rudy with a couple more nuggets before we headed back to camp.  Next morning, was more of the Rudy show!  He called me over to his chewed up 20 ft long deep nugget Patch for a listen of a target!  I stuck my coil into a 6" scrap and heard the classic nugget tone...we both smiled at each other as I gave a head nod of approval 😀.  We now began a 30 minute dig through the shale.  Rudy's pick at 15" had to give way for my special bedrock pick in the back of my truck.  At 20" this target was screaming bloody murder on the GPZ, but so does a 2 dwt'er!  Many breaks later and another 4" deeper we knew we were close.  Rudy's pen pointer was pointing at the crevice in the bottom of the hole.  Steve, finally works his way over to see what we are doing on our bellys with our heads in a big hole!  I give way, as I heard his bench made pocket knife open up and Rudy moved his giant finger away from the pointed spot.  A couple scraps and out pops the fruit to the effort of the dig!  Over 8 dwts nugget, is sweet in any gold field new or old diggings.  Steve and I, bowed to Rudy as the King of the short hunt weekend as he added a couple more before he finally let us pick up the scraps in his mini patch.  He was laughing at our misfortune sipping a cold one in a lawn chair for a couple dinks! But, it's the hunt, the thrill.  What a great hobby to keep your blood pumping...over 18 dwts on them coils.  The trip home with a cold I picked up from Robin, hit me hard and so did the surprise snow storm on top of Donner Pass.  Home safe and nursing my cold and wishing I was on the hunt, before the heat comes back to the high desert!  Until the next hunt
      LuckyLundy

• By mn90403
      Ok, it is not the kind of flakes you normally think of when you think CALIFORNIA.
      We had a 'cold snap' in the west the last 3 days and that gave me a chance to go out and detect the hot deserts of Southern California.  
      The cold snap came after a Wednesday fishing trip.  It started off slow for the white sea bass and the yellowtail.  We didn't get any so we went after the rock fish in deep water.  This was my first trip of the year and it was a lot of fun.  I went over my limit (10) but there were others on the boat that got my extras.  At the end of the day we were near the island and managed to get our version of a barracuda and another fisherman got a white sea bass.
      So I left out for a 3 hour drive to our most productive nugget patch.  Last summer we were working it pretty hard and found most of it but Swifty has been finding new patches so we went back.  My last 4 trips had resulted in skunks.  I was beginning to question my technique and settings.  I was finding shots, lead, wires and hot rocks but NO GOLD.  My headphones were sounding scratchy and losing the signal when trying to pinpoint.  I bought a new set of headphones to make me feel better.   (Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones)  These were recommended on my other post about 'What Can You Hear?.'
      Now I know what I can hear!  I heard all of the same trash but the sound was smoother than my worn out headphones.  They were also comfortable (until the very end of the day).  So I'm going along with the normal signals and a bit 'long in the tooth' attitude and I heard another hot rock.  Even the 7000 and the 2300 find hot rocks in this field.  Sometime in the late morning a hot rock was not.  It was the rough flake nugget.  I saw it in my scoop and could barely see any gold as it was covered in caliche.  After a bath in my mouth I knew it was a skunk breaker.  I also knew it was thin so I logged it in to my findpoints as .5g.  It is really .82g.
      Friday I had gotten to the field at 4:00 AM and it was a full moon.  Sunrise was 6 AM but you could see around 5:30 AM.  Sunday's trip was similar but I got there at 5:00 AM and the wind was blowing about 25 mph and the temperature was under 50F.  I was cold and went back into the car for a nap.  Once the sun was up about an hour I got out and braved the wind until about 2:30 PM.  Along the way I found the second corn flake that is 'smaller' but weighs more at .92g.
      It is a lot of work having fun sometimes but someone has to do it, right?

• By Condor
      Last week we had a brief cooling spell in sunny Yuma so I took the opportunity to get out with the Deus again.  I was scouting a new area wearing my typical Yuma attire, shorts and T-Shirt and had not yet put on my gear and most regrettably had not put on my knee pads.  I was pushing up through some steep terrain with loose gravel and big rocks.  I took a wrong step and had one of those slow motion thoughts about this not ending well.  It seems that gravity has some fairly predictable adverse effects on short, chubby, 62 yr old detectorists traversing tricky ground.  I made roughly 3 rotations on the way down, coming to rest against some nasty rocks.  As I lay there gathering my wits and waiting for pain to alert me to any major injuries, I wondered, not for the first time, why I do this, especially all alone.  Nevertheless, I picked myself up and found I was bleeding pretty good from a puncture in fat part of my right palm.  Then, I felt a searing pain from my right hamstring across my butt cheek to my scotumus maximus.  Not cut mind you, just internal wrenching.  I assume that's what the NFL calls a "groin strain".  So I hobbled to safety and set about to stop the bleeding in my palm.  It was only then that I noticed my left knee bleeding pretty good as well.  I got some wound wash and squirted the knee clean, muttering "that's going to leave a mark".  Since I didn't have the services of our favorite medic VANursePaul, I figured I better let the professionals at this one.  I had my son take me to Sunny Yuma Regional Medical Center ER.  Fairly quick work, XRays all negative, hand, knee and hip.  10 stitches in the knee, a script for Vicodin and I was on my way in just over 2 hrs.  I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to mix my favorite analgesic "Dago Red" with the Vicodin, but the words "alcohol my intensify effect" seemed to suggest otherwise. 
      So, last night I removed the last of the stitches and the knee feels fine, if not a little tender.  The palm wound is still really sore and the "groin strain" is a killer.  I walked a 1/4 mile this morning on flat blacktop in my neighborhood and the hamstring feels like an ice pick punching through my butt cheek to my nether regions.  I'm losing my mind being hobbled and not outside outsmarting some gold nuggets.  We have a bit of a cooling trend over the next few days, highs in the low 90's, so I'll be back at it, albeit a little slower and a little more careful. 
      Hopefully, good news later this week on the rescheduled outing 4 with the Deus HF.  So until then, as Sgt Esterhaus on Hill Street Blues used to say,  "let's be careful out there". 

• By madtuna
      Title chosen because I'd be banned if I wrote what I really wanted.
      Spotted a camper parked in the scrub not far from a well, so went to see who and introduce myself. No one was there so I followed the tracks as they were heading to the well.
      They went passed the well and towards the next one which isn't in a known gold area but is in an area that holds a lot of water especially after the rain we've had.
      Bugger me if the track didn't keep going and into a no go area. I knew I would either come across them heading back out or bogged.
      Sure enough, 4klms in and there's a Hilux duel cab bogged up to its eyeballs with a very relieved to see me NSW couple in their 70's. They had been there all day with nothing but a now empty thermos of coffee, no comms, no recovery gear, no food or water.
      And of cause I get bogged trying to get them out.
      As it was 4.30pm no option but to stay put for the night. I gave them what food I had as they had not eaten all day, plus plenty of water. They slept in their ute and I slept in mine plus in front of a fire when it got too cold.
      They next morning I hiked 17klms out to the road with the intent of getting a lift the 60klms into town and then a lift back out to the homestead to pick up my other ute and come get the couple and drop them at their van. I'd let them worry about retrieving their ute themselves.
      As luck would have it for them and me, a mining company offered to get us both out which they did with the aid of my 5 chains and two snatch straps plus a hell of a lot of shovel work.
      A very embarrassed but pretty shallow thankyou from the couple and a carton of beer and about 20 very greatful and heartfelt thankyous from me.
      And now the track is stuffed for about 100 yards.
      Unfortunately, the laws in Australia are written in such a way that makes it illegal for me to head butt them.