What Features And Performance Improvements Would You Like To See In The Next High End Minelab Coin Detector?

Winter will be  starting to set in soon, and cabin fever will soon be running rampant ,  time to think about the next dream machine from Minelab.

What improvements would you like to see over the Nox 800?  Preformance is always a biggie.

More depth, more Stable ID at that depth.  

Wider numerical ID system, 0-100.   

Better selection of optional size coils.

Or, maybe an etrac or explorer features in the nox liteweight  style? 

Adjustable handgrip  pod.

EMI  elimination system.

If you request it, maybe they will build it. 😁

• Like 1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. True waterproof capability 2. Reposition side buttons to the face of the control box 3. Stronger coil ears 4. More substantial arm cuff 5. Contract with Steve Goss to design the

They need to move the battery from the handle to under the arm cuff for better balance when using and carrying, and maybe give it an S-rod instead of a straight rod for the same reason. A drop-in batt

There's weight, then there's balance, then there's how sturdy the arm cuff is, the angle of the handle, the position of the coil ears etc etc......all combined determine how "nice" it is to swing a de

Posted Images

They need to move the battery from the handle to under the arm cuff for better balance when using and carrying, and maybe give it an S-rod instead of a straight rod for the same reason. A drop-in battery might be nice too.

I'm happy with everything on the screen. The only thing I might add is a true all metal option for all the modes instead of just Gold mode.

Improved locking mechanisms on the rod pieces and thicker/stronger coil ears. A coil attachment that stays tight without having to overtighten the bolt.

A more hydrodynamic coil for water hunters that has less drag through the water.

• Like 4

I am extremely happy with the Equinox 800. Asking for improvements is almost like tempting fate.

Threshold based all metal mode on a simultaneous multi frequency detector may be impossible. The Gold modes are already pretty incredible.

However, like phrunt, I would love to have a 10X5" or so coil.

I would also like to see the side buttons moved to the control panel.

I would like to be able to move forward and back with modes and other settings instead of having to scroll all the way through the menu.

I would like more user profile slots.

Better stock Bluetooth wireless headphones. The ML80s sound muffled and very bass heavy to me.

I have already upgraded the shafts so keep the cost down and let that be the users choice. 

• Like 2

Backlit controls, red adjustable backlight, 2.4gHz headphones, s-bend shaft with internally routed coil cable, improvement on tones to give a greater perception of target depth, more coil choices or allow a licensed third party to produce additional coils.  

One glaring omission is an integrated system allowing both wireless headphones and wireless pinpointer to be used with the Nox, much like that on the Deus and Nokta/Makro detectors.  Hopefully Minelab can release a new pinpointer in the future to allow this, though the current usage of Bluetooth may be holding this back (hence why I mentioned about sticking with 2.4gHz).  Hell, even the Simplex has this capability at a much lower pricepoint.

• Like 1

Would be nice if they introduced menu items and modes back and forth buttons, bit annoying to loop through all modes and menus to come back to adjacent items. Say, to do Noise Cancel after GB needs lots of button clicking.

S-shaft or off-center coil ears, and stronger ears too.

Make more user friendly adjustable items scaling and ranges. Say, volume, sensitivity, etc, 0-10 (or 100), not 0-25. Who actually detects with sensitivity 0-10, why have this range at all.

Perhaps have some sort of accelerometer to detect when detector is still (say, on the ground) while user is dealing with the find or locating an item, so it doesn't chatter or scream in PP mode during that time. Maybe reduce emissions and reception too during still time, to save battery, etc.

• Like 1

1. True waterproof capability

2. Reposition side buttons to the face of the control box

3. Stronger coil ears

4. More substantial arm cuff

5. Contract with Steve Goss to design their shafts! 👍 🙂

• Like 4

I see some caution/warnings in responses which I assume result from previous experience where 'improvements' took away performance.  I think everything I'd like to see has already been said, but I'll give my independent opinions, kinda like survey results.  In order of importance to me:

1) A moderately sized (e.g. 5"x10" or 6"x10") closed eliptical coil option (keeping the 11" open round as stock is fine with me).

2) Move the User Profile button to the front panel.

3) Include/allow more User Profile memory slots.  (Total of 3 or 4 would be nice!)

Although I don't really know how things work in detail, I think only #2 even involves a physical change to the 600/800; the other two are either external (new coil) or software (multiple user profiles).  However, if there are 'real estate' issues with overcrowding the front panel then give the user some leeway in choosing/changing the meaning of front panel buttons.  Right now, for example, the only time I use the horseshoe (exception -- when I can get into hot rock laden gold bearing ground) is to open up all TID slots when I turn on the detector.  (Why is default notching 'on'?  Oh well, I've learned to live with that.)  I use the Profile button about a 100 times more often (I'm not exaggerating) than the operating frequency change button.

Of course we'd all like to see improvements to performance such as even better target separation and tighter digital TID accuracy -- the two combined leading to better unmasking.  I also could list several ergonomic 'nicities' but the three requested improvements I've listed are things I can't do myself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Nik11
      We all have seen many videos comparing  metal detectors , changing the coils, frequencies and all kind of settings so they can maximize the capabilities of the "machines"! 
      But what about the same machines abilities to detect larger targets like a 20x20 cm or 40x30cm  on greater depths?? 
      Am in the only one Qurious about it 🤪 
       Have someone seen something about it?? 
    • By mn90403
      Have you modded a detector or a coil over the years to make it perform better than the manufacturer intended?  Did you get good results?  I just did a search on this forum and found 168 hits for modded.  What is your favorite mod?
    • By Rick N. MI
      Anfibio is rated waterproof to 16'. Tarsacci is rated to 30 min underwater.
      Both ip68 why the difference.
      I can't find what the Equinox rating is.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I have got up on my soapbox every year about this time to prognosticate about the coming year in metal detector technology. 2020 was an especially significant year as we lost another major player in the industry. A few years ago it was Tesoro going out of business. In 2020 we learned that White's is closing shop and being acquired by Garrett. It is unknown if Garrett will attempt to keep White's alive as a separate product line, or simply acquired the rights and technology to keep somebody else from doing so. At the moment it seems White's has gone away for good, but it is not impossible Garrett will revive the name in 2021. Whatever they decide will have a major influence on metal detecting in the future. But in the meantime we have fewer players now to speculate about.
      Garrett/White's - we just saw the release of the Ace Apex, a first foray into multifrequency by Garrett. The company already has a very well implemented wireless audio system, and the Apex is fully rechargeable. The White's acquisition means Garrett adds the V3i multi tech and TDI PI tech to their IP base, and this along with the half-sine patent means Garrett has a fresh shot of technology options to choose from. The White’s 24K is a superb product, now unavailable new. However, I expect an acquisition of this magnitude to take time and I'm not holding my breath on any really new product in 2021 from Garrett. At most perhaps a revival of some White's models, or releasing clones under the Garrett name. At the moment however I see Garrett as the U.S. company with the most potential for the longer term future, regardless of what happens in the near term.
      First Texas (Bounty Hunter, Fisher, Teknetics) - whereas Garrett seems to have a purpose, First Texas seems adrift these days. Most of the Fisher models on the website have been discontinued, or are decades old. Teknetics as a brand seems nearly dead, focused on factory direct sales. Basic advances like in-built rechargeable battery systems, wireless headphones, and over the internet updates - all go ignored at the company. The only news is a new line of pulse induction detectors, but as the lack of interest from users on the internet shows, most people are not screaming for First Texas to bring a PI to market. Everyone wants to hear about a major response to new machines like the Equinox, but so far it's crickets from First Texas.
      The final production Impulse AQ will hit the market in the first half of the year, but I expect it to have almost no impact on the overall detecting world, or even the beach detecting world for that matter. People will still choose VLF over PI for beach detecting by huge margins, so the Impulse AQ has a shot at being nothing more than a niche detector in a niche detecting market. The Gold version has potential to crack open the gold prospecting market that Minelab currently dominates, but it is going to have to have a very attractive price/performance ratio if it hopes to make Minelab users consider a new brand. For many gold prospectors Minelab currently is the only choice in detectors.
      Hopefully there is more going on at First Texas than PI, because they are sliding into irrelevance in high end VLF. It seems more models keep slipping into the Bounty Hunter lineup, and if nothing changes someday the Teknetics and even Fisher lines may be retired. Or the Fisher line could be boosted with new high end machines to become the high tech alternative to Bounty Hunter. That was the original plan buying this old name in detecting, and 2021 will probably determine what happens for the Fisher brand in the future. Revival... or the next slow death?
      Minelab - on a roll still, with the new GPX 6000 due out this spring. When it comes to cutting edge technology, Minelab remains the company to watch. There is no doubt a replacement for the CTX 3030 in the works, but there are no solid hints at when it may arrive. I am guessing 2022 since the last two rollouts were for coin detectors (Equinox and Vanquish). Minelab tends to address areas in a round robin fashion, and I believe 2021 will preferentially freshen the gold prospecting lineup.
      Nokta/Makro - the easy picking low hanging fruit of single frequency VLF has been fully exploited at Nokta/Makro, and it remains now to see if they can make the move up to higher tech product like simultaneous multifrequency and ground balancing pulse induction. The rapid pace of new product releases has stalled out as further advances will be more difficult. Historically NM has used their Christmas card to hint at new releases, and this year they took a pass on that. I'm hopeful for 2021 but certainly not holding my breath, as it may be fall at earliest before we hear more.
      Tarsacci - a new 12" coil for the MDT is in the works, and a possible change to the battery door design in future versions.
      XP - still largely a one-trick pony with the DEUS, and the ORX, which is really just a subset of the DEUS. Will we ever see multifrequency or PI from XP? All is quiet now with the news over ORX run it's course, and right now there are no hints of anything new from XP for 2021.
      Just random blatherings from an industry old-timer, worth every penny paid.  I'm pretty well set for detectors these days, with only the grudge match between the Minelab GPX 6000 and Fisher Impulse Gold having any interest for me personally. I have to put my money on Minelab when it comes to cutting edge tech, but I do hope the Impulse Gold is good enough and low priced enough to shake things up.

• By Rick N. MI
      14" on a silver dime is the new standard. 10" was the standard and now it's 14".
      In Calabash's test videos:
      Anfibio hits it hard.
      Equinox hits it hard.
      Xp Deus a weak hit.
      Detectors are getting better. A new standard to hit or break for new detectors in 2021.
    • By Sun-Boy
      Hi Folks,
      Thought I would start a thread showing my first attempt at an analog detector, I've been working in the electronics field for many years mostly in the analog/rf area.  Hope everyone enjoys the process, and any input or suggestions would be appreciated.  I'll try and post as I go along, but this is my after hours hobby, so updates may come every few weeks.  I apologize if this goes overboard on the images.  So here goes.....
      Here is the overall unit, the display will tip up and turn on.

Closeup of the display

Display tipped up, it will show RSSI across the top, and material ID in the center and across the bottom.

Control Panel, has gain hi lo, discrimination on off, coil balance, threshold, volume, phone jack, and on off with lo bat indicator.

Coil

Actual board and display turned on and balanced, I'm sorry for the vertical image I couldn't straighten it up, the coil is under the paper, it's a hand wound 3" OD test coil.  Note that this board has only three adjustments and the one in the above renderings has four, this one has no threshold adjust.

1957 silver quarter

Gold chain and cross.

Aluminum pull tab.

Coke bottle cap.

Clad quarter.

My steel cutters.

I'm getting parts in to start putting the new one together, hopefully my updates to the circuit will work out.  We have a saying, "may have to shoot the engineer to finish the project", it feels like every other day I come up with another improvement :), anyway I hope you guys enjoy this, I'll post as I go along.
      -Sun-Boy