Need ID Help

Hi Glenn, the closest looking thing I could find was a pair of sugar tongs, but none of the antique tongs I saw had that sliding "lock" to keep the grabbers closed. As small as it is, it seems more like some type fancy clothing fastener to me, maybe to hold up hose or socks. Good find!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's one, the eBay listing will disappear:

1208500150_s-l400(12).jpg.1367917aa272b0a7b43d2dbd36400f05.jpg

Sugar tongs with a lock. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

Detecting a old mining camp last week and found this item. I believe it is type of tong, but what for as it is small in size. It seems to be made of brass and has a little nickel or silver plating left.

Well, since you were in a mining area, and the grabbing part seems really flat. Maybe it was used for picking small gold out of a pan? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Sugar tongs with a lock. 👍

The locking part is not close to what the picture is, but it is on the right track.

Grandfather had a set closer to it, but they were clothes pins that were still on a clothes line. The line went through the top of the pin above the clasp.

If I can find them again, if we still have them I will post some pictures of the set.

The slide lock would keep almost anything from falling and they were silver plated.

Sugar tongs were mainly between 4 and 5 inches in length and seldom had a locking mechanism on them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Back in the late 1960's a friend and I were digging a turn of the century privy and he found a very similar one it made a nice conversation piece and roach clip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1