Lost My Gold Virginity?

It all looks like gold to me. Actually, you can find natural gold nuggets that will break for various reasons. The more rock they have in them, the more likely a crack and a break may occur. Looks to me like you found a lower purity nugget with a weak spot/crack and it broke. You can never swear with photos but it has the "look" to my eye so I am calling all three pieces gold.

Congratulations! It is hard to overestimate the value of field training when it comes to nugget hunting. It is a whole different gig than most types of detecting, the main thing being how tiny the targets AND the signals can be. Just whispers of whispers at times.

• Like 6

It also looks like gold to me, too.  Looks like you just crushed the quartz out of it most likely.  And it sounds like you learned a lot in that trip.  Smart of you to stay in the area as opposed to racing around the mountain side.  Keep walking and swinging that detector slow and you are going to have many more pieces.  And you won't even question whether it is gold anymore.  Nice job.

• Like 1

As we`d say in OZ "On ya GB you beauty", now you`ve got the fever. Re. coins in OZ we get a fair few US coins detecting in the old WW2 sites. In particular in the US sections we find coins formed into dress rings, will have to dig out one and post a photo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done, GB Ameteur! You’ve proven the old nugget shooting adage, “persistence pays”. I’m glad to have met you, and that you were able to find your first gold with the EQX and Gerry’s field training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of examples of coin rings and a slouch hat, our florin was a coin of the WW2 age as it had a high silver content thus made a nice ring. Must have been some soldiers with spare time as would take some time to fashion these.

575094992_20181208_0801361.thumb.jpg.0df618b646f96a5941298448d01c4988.jpg1478595345_20181208_0802061.thumb.jpg.ed6245df0a2b492bb9559dc0e6f5b77b.jpg315571273_20181208_0810131.thumb.jpg.e4f40d4e4fcbcc45e691b9ddaaaeb4ad.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I got to say, it all looks like gold to me. Now that you have lost your "virginity", you are a ruined man,  you will always be looking for more! Congrats on finding that first one WTG!

Norm

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1