Dropped My Zed

Ausi M. Telling me "don't drop your $10,000.00 detector" is like telling me "don't spill your beer, don't get your Jeep stuck, don't trip over your dog, don't knock off your head phones, don't forget your pick. With me, these things are nearly a daily occurrence. Sometime in the life of any well used detector its gunna get dropped. And Minelab knows it. So I was just wondering. If you buy a Z and I destroy mine could I borrow yours?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is Jeep responsible when you get bogged, is Castlemaine (or any other brewer) responsible when you spill your beer, is it Walco's fault when you leave your pick behind etc. NO! Why is Minelab or any detector manufacturer responsible for our mistakes/accidents? Yes they could probably beef them up then the same people whining about them being flimsy would be whining about the extra weight - oh wait they do already. Unfortunately accidents do happen & it can't always be the manufacturers fault?

By the sounds of your daily occurences I wouldn't lend you a two bob watch!

This has been interesting and I feel better knowing Im not the only one to have damaged my GPZ. I hope this discussion about little problems with an amazing detector has been constructive and helpful as this is how it was intended. The damage to the case on my zed was caused by me during normal use in a harsh environment, could I have been more careful, of course however as this thread has shown in the real world the equipment needs to be able to stand the rigors of the use it was intended and if the detector needs additional protection to withstand normal use then it should be supplied that way, not a big deal. everyone is buying and making protective covers for their machine because they are needed, hopefully mine lab will make some minor adjustments to provide their customers with the best product possible on a very very expensive detector. Im not upset as on almost any beta release manufactures need to make adjustments on new products as life in the field is different than in the r and d lab and I expected some bugs to come out, what matters is how these issues are addressed. 

I called mine lab today and they were very helpful, I am sending mine in for service and we will see how this issue plays out, I promise to keep you posted on what direction mine lab takes this.

here is a picture of my two issues:

post-618-0-31779000-1435367524_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-08531200-1435367541_thumb.jpg

Hi Art,

That sucks. I do hope it gets sorted out for you post haste and to your satisfaction.

I will not be shutting up about the GPZ. I am just not going to get stuck being in the position of being some sort of Minelab apologist. As far as I am concerned, the less people who have a GPZ the better. That would not be good for Minelab, but too many people in my area have one already.

Thanks Steve, 

oh so true, I saw the difference out there this last couple of days at rye patch. my first trip out i found so much trash all kinds of stuff, this was right at first with the first batch... last couple of days I hunted around the same general areas from high on the hill too down low following the quartz breakouts and wide around areas with the most brush and was wishing for a piece of trash to break the pace. GPZ s have been working overtime and like you've said before, sometimes you turn right and sometimes you turn left, my turns were off this time out.

minelab is a great company with great products  I'm sure everything will work out fine, this is a flagship detector from the top company and Im generally satisfied with anything fair and reasonable.

One comment to a post above.

The TDI control box is heavy gauge aluminum, it is held my four stainless steel screws to a thick aluminum flange which is firmly attached to the rod. Of course, I guess it could have come loose somehow due to sliding sideways to the ground. Even if it did however, it still has the ability to be body mounted.

Just sayin!

No One Has To Apologise For MineLab, That's Their Job, All That Is Important is will they Fix it and When, If it Breaks a Dozen Times It does not matter as Long as they Fix it We Can't Ask For More Than That and in the mean time No Doubt they will be Working on an Up Grade to Fix the Issue giving everyone More impact resistant Housing.