Can We Stir The Pot? Minelab GPZ 7000 Still King Of Detectors In The U.S.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:37 AM, LuckyLundy said:

Steve,

Your words are solid gold, your GPX 6000 Poke is poof in the Pudding!  I know the same ground your Detecting, it’s been pounded by every detector ever made.  There’s still Virgin Patches of Gold out in the Millions of Acres of the High Deserts of Northern Nevada.  All I’m looking for in Patch Hunting is “One Duck” and my current 7 pound Shotgun has me feeling my age after a day of Sage Brush Dancing.  There’s to many videos out to say the 6000 doesn’t find missed gold in old haunts.  That old saying that only 1% find gold consistently with the same detector as others continue to get skunked with is true.  I’ve helped out hundreds with detector settings and pointy fingers only to see them wonder far out of the Patch boundary and when they return to find out they switched their setting I gave them for the soil of the patch.  Being retired Military with the “Old Sarge” mentality I know I can’t help everyone.  Some will fall to the side and some will match or exceed you.  I Tend to these people.  Your Forum is the best and one I “Tend”...some will fall to the side and move on in their own way.  You keep showing your Proof in the Pudding and Tend to the one(s) Forum Member that will exceed/excel in your reviews.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'm like you in one regard - I'm trying hard to give people a really good pointy finger. I'm pretty sure I'm not properly toeing the line on insisting the GPZ 7000 is what everyone needs, which is where Minelab wants it to be - top of the heap. I'm suggesting perhaps people can do better by NOT getting the most expensive model, especially for Nevada. The GPX 6000 is the better choice for our salt conditions, combined with small or specimen gold. And funny thing is, this apparently is not what some people want to hear, so I’ll leave it be after saying it one last time.....

I think that with the exception of a very small number of people, the GPX 6000 is a vastly superior choice for U.S. prospectors over the GPZ 7000. For your average U.S. operator I don't think it's even close. I say that as the person with more hours combined by far on both machines than anyone in the U.S. and 50 years prospecting experience under a huge range of conditions. Technological buzz words do not replace actual field results. Total gold in pouches is the score, and a GPX 6000 will in my opinion be the more productive detector for most people here. If you have a GPZ, great, but anyone selling both better be sure they know what they are talking about, or be prepared for some customer blowback. I'm not saying anyone here does not know what they are talking about, but personally I'd be extremely cautious to qualify that a new person at this point will genuinely be better off with a GPZ 7000 in the U.S. I can only think of rare prospectors and situations where that is true, and most already have a GPZ. In my opinion my gold take would suffer in the next two years if I used a GPZ 7000 instead of a GPX 6000. But that just me and my ground - mileage will vary. In general, if you are digging or expect to regularly dig nuggets 1/3 ounce or larger, then a GPZ 7000 starts to make sense. If not, full stop, go GPX 6000.

There you go, word to the wise, and good luck everyone.

17 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

That being said, Minelab still claims the GPZ 7000 can get "up to 40% more depth" over previous GPX detectors.  We can all question, does the GPX 6000 still fit in this category, as Minelab stated GPX detectors.  The upcoming Minelab GPX 6000 is still a GPX series detector, but primarily using GeoSense Technology.  I don't see where GeoSense really talks about any more depth ability over the previous GPX 5000, but it does mention about better ground response/clarity, maybe allowing you to hear something in higher mineralized ground over previous GPX series.  

So does the GPX6000 fit into this claim or is Minelab now wrong to say that the GPZ can get 40% more depth over "GPX" detectors?  So I will repeat myself to get back on topic.  Being that there is only one in the United States, would any of our Aussie friends want to give an air test a go?

Yes it's still King at depth on big gold and I have not read anyone saying different.

It is also still King at killing my back, neck and shoulders and $2000 more...for what a couple inches when we are already near 3 feet depth?  

I realize you are younger and in better shape than I Sir, so I'll stick to wisdom and hunt longer with less fatigue and usually find more pieces of the smaller gold and the other kinds of gold the 7 can't see as well.

Please no disrespect Rob... just play along.

This is my next call,...

Wait...someone's calling and I am looking at a stack of 7's that need to be sold.

Sir....YES the GPZ-7000 is still the king.  Sir, yes it's only $2000 more, just money..they print the shit every day like its nothing.

Sir.. Trust me, I assure you the 7000 is deeper.  Sir,  Of course the 7000 is heavier by 2 pounds, that's why it's 2 thousands dollar more.  Sir... sir yes it will probably get 34" on a big nugget and the GPX-6000 will only get 32".  But Sir, this is only 2" which is only $1000 an inch. 

Sir...You asking about small gold and that you heard the 6000 does better on small gold?  Sir...You are buying an $8000 detector, are you really interested in that small gold, that's what a Monster is for.  

No Sir,  I'm not trying to sell you 2 detectors just one.

Sir...You said YES,...you'll take the the GPZ-7000?  Oh Glory you just made my day.  If you have any friends wanting a GPZ-7000, tell them to call me and when I run out my friend Rob has some too.

Sir...Why do we have so many 7000's you ask?  Well, well well.  It seems most everyone else is getting the GPX-6000.

Sir.. You ask when will us dealers get the 6?  Shit...If I new that answer, I wouldn't be trying to sell my 7's so hard.

CLICK....Hello...hello.

Rob,  Your points are true, but my gut tells me you'll have a new girl at the dance this fall.

PS.  Nice chuck of glory.

3 hours ago, beatup said:

sounds like you stirred the pot good Rob

He's pretty good at stirring the bucket.  He got me real good awhile back with a little joke on ME!!!!   He had me all shook up until I figured it was a joke.  Keep your eye on that boy, he's got a mischeivious sense of humor he does......!

I can say that the 6000 detects a tiny leadshot 100% better than the 7000 does 🙂

How do I know?? because I detected one right near a hole I got gold out of with the 7000 and I know I swung the 7000 over it.

I own and use both. Am I going to do air tests? Nope. I have better things to do with my detecting time and there are so many variables that they are often meaningless anyway 😉

What I will do though is report back what I am finding with each detector in real detecting environments. The 7000 amazed me....Now the 6000 has taken the amazement to a whole different level. Its pinging bits I would never have thought possible....a 0.08g at 3-4 inches!...And it screamed like it was an ounce! Sure i would love to be detecting ounces every couple of days, but those types of nuggets are far and few between out my way....what the 6000 has already done is increased my gold v hour ratio....i am at about a gram an hour at the moment.....without pain.

The GPZ19 will be chucked on and this will become my detector of choice when I think there is a likelyhood of larger and deeper bits hiding. For everything else, the 6000 is now my go to machine.

If I detect a decent bit at good depth, i will swing the 7000 over it for a rear world comparison and vice versa 🙂

If the 7000 detects it up to 40% deeper, so be it....

You should probably reread the first post from Rob again.  I even quoted it before.  We both want to know if the new GPX falls into this category against their 40% claim or not... blah blah blah.  The easiest way would be to do an air test to eliminate ground.  In theory you should be able to determine a percentage of distance an object is detected as it goes away from the coil for each machine.  It has been done so many times in the past with many different coils and machines.  I am not understanding why this is such a big deal now.  Minelab has to use some kind of methodology to determine these start charts or percentages.  You would think in some way they would want you to be able to replicate it, otherwise it is just BS marketing.  This should not be that big of a deal.  SMH

Hey Guys,

Ok, I stirred the pot just a tiny bit! :ph34r: 

First, no disrespect, but the business to get into now is running online forums with ads (pay per click). Oh boy, now I did it .....

Back to detectors - Steve H. is probably one of the most knowledgeable guys I know.  He's sold and used detectors way before my time.  There are handfuls of very knowledgeable electronic prospectors on this forums, probably just as many just lurking and reading.  

I think the 40% deeper has proven itself over the years with Minelab GPZ 7000 users.  There were times where I really questioned  the claim, but then again it only took a few very deep, sizeable gold nuggets to change my mind.  I think the 40% is very moveable, meaning there are a lot of variables (added and removed) to get to 40%.  I think some of those in general are ground mineralization, size of searchcoil, detector settings, type of gold, size of gold and more.  

The GPZ 7000's depth ability was a huge plus, but I found a lot of gold that the GPX series missed.  In my opinion, the GPX series and prior did poor on very porous gold (sponge like), wire gold and disseminated gold in matrix.  I couldn't believe all the little pieces I picked up in various areas and old patches missed by prior technology.  I also found a lot more small gold with the GPZ 7000 on old patches and worked them heavily with small searchcoils on the SD/GP and GPX series.  

Does the GPX 6000 fit in Minelab's category that claims the GPZ 7000 goes 40% deeper than the GPX series?  That is a question I can't personally answer, as I have not used the GPX 6000 yet.  The Independent field testers would have a better idea if they owned and operated a GPZ 7000 for any time.  

It's my understand there are more than 1 Minelab GPX 6000 on US soil right now.  I know someone mentioned something about this.  

Another question people have is - "Will the new Nugget Finder 12" Round Z Searchcoil" eliminate the need for a GPX 6000 purchase?  That is a loaded question, but I have found a lot of smaller gold with the new Nugget Finder Z Searchcoil for sure.  It's a very impressive coil, super lightweight, but does have a pretty steep price tag at $1100 US. 

Minelab GPZ 7000 - $8000 MAP 

Minelab GPZ 7000 - $8000 MAP + NF 12" Round Z Searchcoil - $1100 = $9100.00 overall investment

Minelab GPX 6000 - $6000 MAP 

Minelab GPX 5000 - $4000 MAP

Used Minelab PI's (SD's, GP's and some GPX's) - $1000 - 3000 range

I'm sure there are a lot of people just sitting back and reading, thinking the only way they can really compete in finding gold is they have to invest into one of these units, GPX 6000, GPZ 7000.  

There is plenty of gold to be found still, majority of electronic prospectors like to circle back to the known goldfields or old nugget patches.  You could get into a used PI for several thousands of dollars, work little known placers, fringes of known gold areas, explore and get off the beaten path and do well.  The chances of doing very well in a pounded gold field are slim (regardless of detector), but the potential of finding an overlooked small placer, pocket or even surface vein is much higher for the prospector that does the research and branches out.  

Purchase within your means, do your research, talk with people, read the forums, you will make the right detector purchase when you are ready.  

Wishing you all many nuggets and exciting times,

Rob

Nice gold Rob.  You are still looking in the right places to find gold like that with any detector.