The Detectorists!

For those hoping for another season it's unlikely, however there is a 75 minute special episode coming and that's good news! I liked that show, it was a bit of fun.

Feature-length Detectorists special commissioned

Wednesday 11th May 2022, 5:30pm

It promises to "bring viewers up to date with the lives of Andy, Lance, Becky and the Danebury Metal Detecting Club"
detectorists.thumb.jpg.1161407b075c13dc2a0d0d9c6d8fd79d.jpg

BBC Four's acclaimed comedy Detectorists is coming back to screens for a new special.

The feature-length, 75 minute episode is to air later this year, updating fans of the cult hit series on the lives of its characters, five years since the end of Series 3.

Debuting in 2014, nineteen episodes of the sitcom-cum-comedy drama have aired to date, focusing on best friends and metal detecting enthusiasts Andy (Mackenzie Crook), Lance (Toby Jones), and their fellow local metal detecting club members in the small town of Danebury.

The last episode concluded with Andy and Lance stumbling across a stash of gold coins, having very narrowly missed the hidden trove of ancient treasure for the previous two series.

Written and directed by Crook, like his recent new television incarnation of Worzel Gummidge, the series is noted for its mix of light drama, whimsical humour, and beautiful rural setting and scenery.

535593430_detectorists2.thumb.png.497514da27c7e7fbeb999d8c1273b066.png

Production on the new special of the triple BAFTA-winner is understood to begin shortly, made by Treasure Trove Productions, Channel X North and Lola TV.

Crook says: "It was 2017 when we were last in Danebury and I miss my old friends in the DMDC [Danebury Metal Detecting Club]. I've had a story percolating for a while and I thought it was worth getting Lance, Andy and the rest of the band back together for. The affection expressed for Detectorists over the years has been incredible and I hope fans of the show will enjoy this new, extended episode."

Producer Gill Isles said: "It's absolutely thrilling to be spending the summer back in Danebury with Mackenzie and the team. There is so much love for the show that I can't wait for everyone to see what Mackenzie has in store in this next chapter."

The news was announced by Jon Petrie, the BBC's new Director of Comedy, in a speech at the BBC Comedy Festival in which he revealed the corporation is set to invest extra £10 million into comedy over the next two years. A number of other commissions were announced today, including new series of Bad Education. Full story

Nice, I liked that one too. Seemed like it ended too early, looking forward to this special!

Never seen it, but I will look it up and try to watch it.

Happy to hear the good news Simon!!

Definitely enjoyed the series! Beats many of the "reality" detecting shows by far! Just don't overanalize, and enjoy the story, beautiful countryside, and humor of seasoned British actors!👑👍👍

Yea, I don't really enjoy the over excited clowns they use in lots of the metal detecting "reality" slows in the US, it's like they've drunk about 50 red bulls and sucked on a bobble of nitrous oxide for an hour before they start filming.   They seem to favour using loud obnoxious hyperactive people and if I ever watch them I've got the wife on my back telling me to turn it off or turn it down as she can't stand hearing the people either,  jumping up and down all excited then running around in circles and yelling because they find some old crusty bullet.

The Detectorists is just good old comedy with a nice story that detector users can relate to in some way, it even got wife approval, extremely rare for prospecting or metal detecting related TV stuff 🙂

People who have no interest in detecting can watch it and enjoy it.

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

People who have no interest in detecting can watch it and enjoy it.

Just watched season 1 today. My wife resisted, but now likes it. Very well done, sort of like "AfterLife" by Rick Gervais. Thanks for posting about the movie. 👍

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yea, I don't really enjoy the over excited clowns they use in lots of the metal detecting "reality" slows in the US, it's like they've drunk about 50 red bulls and sucked on a bobble of nitrous oxide for an hour before they start filming.   They seem to favour using loud obnoxious hyperactive people and if I ever watch them I've got the wife on my back telling me to turn it off or turn it down as she can't stand hearing the people either,  jumping up and down all excited then running around in circles and yelling because they find some old crusty bullet.

I haven't seen the show, but I see some similarities here...

-  I *do* still freak out when I get large nuggets, often screaming out to nobody but the local bobcat and mtn lion, which are no doubt wondering why I am in their territory in the middle of the night, with a machine that squeals like a rabbit being attacked.

-  In order for me to do my night hunts, I am known to drink a couple red bull type drinks and thirst busters, to keep me amped up for the night.   I just hope my body can handle the octane in short durations.

Maybe if I had news crews following me around, I would seem like an excited clown, too!!  LOL. 

But I PROMISE YOU, you would not see me jumping around in circles because I find an ancient bullet!  I find lots and lots.. and lots of bullets.