Deus HF 3rd Outing

Condor

I got back out with the Deus HF today.  I pushed into an area I have strenuously avoided with non-discriminating detectors because it is littered with 1940's vintage rusted out cans and ferrous junk.  I ran the Deus with the same settings as on my 2nd go.  I picked up the 2 biggest nuggets right next to an old pile of cans.  The GPZ would have been howling with just proximity to that much junk. 

I wondered how hot the 9" round HF coil would be on small stuff.  I got my answer, the smallest was .07 gram wedged in a tiny bedrock crack.  The signal was unmistakable, although I was doubting it until I busted out the crack. 

The biggest surprise was a ring down in a bedrock pocket.  I dismissed it as a piece of plumbing copper expansion collar until I looked closely and saw engraved initials and a stamp indicating 14k.  Perhaps it was originally plated with 14k gold, but after a quick soak in CLR, it sure looks like copper to me. 

I'm really liking the Deus for this kind of detecting.  Shallow bedrock, littered with old junk.  The discrimination is spot on.  I dug a number of targets just to check.  Iffy targets like modern nails will bust through the discrimination if you don't tickle the edges and let the software do it's stuff.  I still dug a lot of non-ferrous junk like copper wire and lead bullet fragments, but tolerable at these depths.

Deus = good times in trashy ground

004.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

Nice, almost busting into the subgrain range. Elliptical should be killer then too.

How variable are the gold VDI's?

Jasong,

When I can get a good VDI, they range from mid 40 to mid 50's at 54KHZ. The tiny nuggets produce a good clear tone, but they will hardly register a VDI.  I didn't show the backsides of a couple nuggets.  Clearly specimen type nuggets.