Lunk's Zed Settings

Lunk

After logging 200 hours behind the Zed pod and unearthing over an ounce of nuggety yellow goodness, I'd like to share my settings with my fellow forum members who would like to take them out for a spin.

Since settings like the Gold Mode, Ground Type and Sensitivity are dependent on the local conditions where one is detecting, my focus here is mainly the audio settings. As some of you may know, my audio settings for the GPX range of detectors were very unconventional, and it is no different with the GPZ 7000; at first glance these settings may seem counter-intuitive, but give them a try because you may just be pleasantly surprised.

Before getting into the settings proper, I want to mention that they are intended for use with the supplied WM-12 Wireless Module, utilizing its external speaker. I haven't tried it with headphones yet, so feel free to experiment if you use them.

I noticed right away that the Zed's pre-set audio out of the box is extremely weak, especially on faint target signals. Using an aftermarket signal enhancer like JP's B&Z booster would work wonders for it, but I surmised that a $10,000 piece of technology would have some kickin' audio amplification and modulation, and the Zed certainly does have!

It is VERY IMPORTANT to make the adjustments to the audio functions in the order that they are presented below:

A key component to this audio setup is enhancing the signal via the Volume function, which controls the level of amplification of a target's audio response, relative to its signal strength, so we'll start there: adjust the Volume to 15. This will really amplify any faint signal from very small or deep targets.

The next audio function is the Threshold Level, which we will adjust to 35. If the threshold level is set too high or too low, faint targets will be missed. A setting of 35 is optimum for this particular combination of audio settings.

The Threshold Pitch setting is a matter of personal preference, so adjust it to a tone that is comfortable to your own hearing. I personally prefer a setting of 25, as it supplies a nice full tonal range from a booming bassy bottom through to a crisp, clean high tone when a target signal is encountered.

The next function we will adjust is the Audio Smoothing: set it to High. This may seem counter-productive, but it is essential to getting the most distinct target response possible, nice and crisp. I learned this technique long ago from my mentor Larry Salee, a great detectorist whom some of you may remember from his famed "Zip-Zip" series of publications.

This leads us on to the next function, Volume Limit, which sets the maximum loudness that a target can make; set too high, it can over-modulate or distort the external speaker and potentially damage your hearing, especially when using headphones. Turn it down to 1, and while swinging the coil over a large metal object such as your pick, gradually increase the setting until the sound is uncomfortably loud; then back it off until the sound is comfortable to listen to. For my hearing, a Volume Limit setting of 3 is perfect.

In summary, here are my audio settings back to back:

Volume: 15
Threshold Level: 35
Threshold Pitch: 25
Audio Smoothing: High
Volume Limit: 3

This audio set-up works with any combination of Gold Mode and Ground Type settings, and is very stable in conjuction with a Sensitivity setting of anywhere from 8 to 15, depending on local conditions, and provides a pleasant, silky-smooth threshold while at the same time delivering a crisp, distinct target response.

Please feel free to let me know what you think of these audio settings after giving them a go in your favorite goldfield or nugget patch, especially if you have the oportunity to compare them to your own settings on undisturbed, un-dug targets - preferably gold nuggets!

Now for those of you interested, I'd also like to share my complete Zed settings for the greater Rye Patch region of northern Nevada; they handle the area's noisy, variable ground found in most nugget patches extremely well. In addition to the above audio settings, they are:

Gold Mode: High Yield
Ground Type: Difficult
Sensitivity: 15
Ground Balance Mode: Auto

Thanks for reading, and happy prospecting!

Thanks Lunk.  I have been following your settings for years.

I wish I would have seen you last week when I was up there.

Mitchel

Well Lunk, once again you have come up with some great food for thought.

The first thing I am doing is copying your entire post and putting it in a folder marked 7000 notes.

I am sure when I am lucky enough to be able to get my 7000

your settings will be among the first things I experiment with.

I agree some of them are counter-intuitive

but sometimes that is what taking the time to learn the settings reveals.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

It will be fun to see where your experimentation leads.

Sometimes experimentation reveals things the designers never dreamed of. Thanks Lunk, serious food for thought there.

Kinda like building a rocket ship or new fighter jet...give it to the test pilots and they will push it as far at it can go.

strick

Lunk,

The more I experiment with the Audio setting of the GPZ the more I love it, it's and amazing machine. Thanks for sharing and to your continued success of filling every poke bottle in your truck!

LuckyLundy

Lunk,

The more I experiment with the Audio setting of the GPZ the more I love it, it's and amazing machine. Thanks for sharing and to your continued success of filling every poke bottle in your truck!

LuckyLundy

Hey, how did you know I have more than one poke bottle?! I have yet to use the wide-mouthed coffee can poke...let alone the 50 gallon drum poke...

Indeed though Rick, for a machine with a simplified amount of settings (compared to the GPX range) the Zed's audio functions still provide many different combinations and perrmutations that can surprisingly affect the overall performance of the machine; to me, experimenting in such a situation is a must to squeeze out maximum performance.

Mitchel: Sorry I missed you; please just shoot me a PM next time you'll be in the area and we'll hook up for a hunt.

I'm with Flakmagnet...filed for use if I am ever able to get a ZED..........