Detecting Shorelines & Being Prepared

I had actually commented/pics some photos of finds on anothers post that was similar, but realized I did not want to steal his thunder.

In my part of the country our lakes draw down each Winter/Spring to make room for the up and coming Spring/Summer runoff.  This allows for some detectable areas though maybe not as perfect as beaches.  Well when you live 500+ miles from the Coast you learn to adapt and find opportunities some others don't think of.  Here is a quick story of a trip to a well known high country lake thousands visit each year. 

I was heading to NV to do our 1st of the year 3 days Field Training Trip on Gold Detectors.  Sometimes I like heading down 3 days to a week early to get some time alone.  Not that I do not enjoy detecting with others, as those who know me, will fess.. I actually prefer enjoying a swing with other like minded seekers.  (hints the 3 days training we offer) This allows me a variety of accomplishments if desired.  Sometimes testing a new model of detector, or coil.  Other occasions I could be actually Prospecting for new areas and greener pastures for future hunts.  Or I usually end up seeking an early coin/trinket from the trashy rustic RR stops along my course there, even though I have hunted them many times over.

Getting down to Rye Patch and not feeling it (got to have the gut feeling it is the right site), I drove on past and kept the truck/trailer heading West on I-80.  

Lake Tahoe was on my mind as was a nice gold ring or two and always a silver coin as consolation. Pulling my camp trailer all the way up (Boise 2730' - Lake Tahoe 6225') found me in snow and not just a dusting.  Not thinking all the way through my last minute change (I should have called 1st) left a lump in my throat as I drove around trying to find an open area for my 50' combo to settle for the night.  Now is not a good time to find out most of the camp sites on the CA side were still snowed in and closed.  I spoke with a Forest Service lady the 2nd day as I ended up sleeping over night at a school parking lot in Kings Beach and she told me of 2 camping sites they just plowed.  She was certainly a trip saver for me.

Finding my way that afternoon to said site and paying the daily fees to camp (nothing is free in CA), I was eager to get out in the water.  Mistake #2  (no wet suite as I had not planned a dip in the snow banks of the chilling Tahoe waters.  Heck, I'm USMC...just do it!! was my thought and desire.  Shorts and tennis shoes is all I needed, lasted about 45 minutes and 15 targets, which none were gold or silver of choice and the day was shot.  Certainly was one of my cold/numbest & dumbest water/beach hunts I have dipped.   

2nd day I came back with a new plan and hunted gravels/rocks along the banks (out of the water) and after many scratches, digs and picking...YES.. scored a nice heavy yellow metal ring. 

Interesting how they stack the rocks on the shoreline, so I took a few picks of my stacked 3030 next someones artwork, heck why not?

On a side note: If ever around there and you enjoy smooth dark ale beer, a World Beer Cup Gold Medal Winner is by far my favorite.  Double Nut Brown Ale made by Mammoth Brewing Company is serious winner.

A couple days later as I was picking more signals in the rocks along the shoreline, this nice black disc appears.  Did not even realize it was a coin at 1st, but when I turned it over I could read "ONE DIME".  Ended up being my oldest coin to date from Lake Tahoe, an 1856 US Seated Liberty Dime.

So if you know of an old high country lake or swimming hole...or just want to try something different, maybe this short story will inspire?  At least the dark ale lovers get a tip of beer greatness.

And be sure to plan appropriately...and let others know where you'll be.

20160404_120842.jpg

20160405_170141.jpg

20160404_151800s.jpg

20160405_193818.jpg

20160406_175620.jpg

20160403_164600.jpg

Nice finds !! you bring the thunder I just bring a decent size spark !!!!!!   :smile:

Great story Gerry! I was freezing reading it.Lol! Thanks for the awesome photos. It really adds a nice touch to an awesome post.

Best of Luck!

BH

Sweet saves, my friend! You do realize that snow is a 4-letter “s” word, right?!

• The title was changed to Detecting Shorelines & Being Prepared

Hi Gerry… can’t doubt your determination after reading about this adventurous trip into the high country overlooking Lake Tahoe!!! I don’t know how you could brave water detecting in winter conditions without a wetsuit, but the scenery alone was certainly worth the visit. We can only imagine what a welcome surprise that picturesque area was to the first explorers and later settlers.

As a longtime water hunter and outdoor enthusiast, I’ve also made decisions that resulted in late night travel in remote areas, sleeping in strange places, and pursuing cold weather detecting activities as per the photo below. That’s my prospecting camp in early October, not that unusual, but snow never stays that early in the season. So while unplanned changes on the road frequently lead to inconvenience, nonetheless I do admire your determination to follow your instincts and pursue your objectives.

1078216241_CAMPLATESEPTEMBERSF.JPG.b0e360b8f20c62dc18725048a4283bca.JPG

I first viewed your photos before reading the text of your post. Couldn’t help but notice the jug of Double Nut Brown Ale, it must look awfully good to a thirsty wayfarer!!! I use a similar looking  jug for mixing frozen fruit juices, as illustrated below. A bit of a coincidence, so I took a photo just for the heck of it!!!         

1894268736_DRINKJUGSF.JPG.0cfc754d6d74e6ea5e9c475f3a80e219.JPG

Finally did read your article, an impromptu and enjoyable narrative. Congratulations on your recoveries, particularly that handsome gold ring. The silver dime shows some deterioration but to me a seated liberty is a beautiful piece of history in any condition. 

I also like the last photo of you standing in the snow, elevating your scoop and detector. You look content and happy to be in those environs, doing what you enjoy on your own terms. Many thanks for sharing the trip with us, and for the descriptive photos too!!! :cool:

Jim.

PS: Would have preferred to reply sooner, but my computer has usually been unable to  either post to, or sign off this forum. The issue could be mine because it recently went in to the repair shop. No  operating issues elsewhere to date.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait... I thought you went to Mexico lol... Nice to see the CTX is still sniffing out the yellow metal. Are you sure thats beer and not an oil change ? :biggrin:

strick

20 hours ago, strick said:

Wait... I thought you went to Mexico lol... Nice to see the CTX is still sniffing out the yellow metal. Are you sure thats beer and not an oil change ? :biggrin:

strick

I have not run a 3030 since last Fall.  I sold mine as I have an E-Trac with X-1 probe and 15" WOT if I need DEPTH.  I know, I need to pst some pics of my MX finds, but I don't want to look like I am bragging, to much anyway.