Steve Herschbach

Nokta Anfibio Versus Minelab Equinox

EnglandsHistory Published on Sep 15, 2018

“This is just an initial look at the capabilities of the NEW Anfibio multi.. The results are from just one test, in one location in clean soil conditions. looks great out the box, will do more vids to see if performance is good in all scenarios.”

It’s nothing wrong with a detector that can detect deep but give me a detector that can give the correct ID at that depth. The detector may sound off great at depth but who said I want to go around digging holes at 14 inches deep just to see what it is. If it’s on the beach in nice soft sand I’ll do it . You put me in rocky ground that’s a big no .

Chuck

• Like 1

I wonder if he had the horseshoe button pressed on the Nox, I find doing that gives more depth.

The Anfibio seems to behave a bit like my T2 when it has the 15" coil on it, burping, farting and coughing all the time so he had to keep the gain down a bit to make it usable where as the Nox was running full gain.  Is it because he didn't do some sort of noise cancel on the Anfibio or is that normal for it?

I would rather use a stable detector with a bit less depth as all that noise drives you nuts after some time.

• Like 2

What's the difference between the Anfibio Multi and the Makro Multi Kruzer? Seems to be just IP rating, which does matter to a guy like me since I'm getting into underwater detecting. This machine would be of interest to me if I understand how deep underwater it can go. And that pinpointer...wow, I love it, and I will own it. In any case, I wouldn't look at any single or single selectable as a replacement for the Equinox. There's no substitute for true Multi in many circumstances, no matter how many superfluous single frequencies are offered (Deus et. al.) or how deep they are in some soil conditions (Makro, Fisher et. al.). But this machine might be a welcome addition for some applications if it's as good as it looks to be. 

IP rating is 5 meters, which is the same as the multi-Kruzer. So I'm confused as to what purpose the machine serves other than portability and integration of product lines maybe. Other than that I can't tell what sets it apart. I would love to know the price though. 

I think they had two separate product lines that overlapped a lot. With the two companies integrating more closely the lineup will be oddball as many models get dropped and what is left merging. Anfibio and Multi Kruzer were probably conceived back when the plan was to keep the two companies more separate. What you have is two different ways of doing nearly the same thing. Buyers will vote with their pocketbooks, and one design path will survive, the other die off.

Makro are overpriced IMO, based on my experience with the Racer. It was an average machine, it looked cheaper then it felt, the main complaint being the price. (It was used)

Now that the Equinox has gained a footing, other manufacturers will find it harder to financially exploit those who don't finish their research, or have difficulty in researching the nuances between detectors because of language barriers. (Why would anyone even buy a Notcka/Makro unless they just wanted something to do?)

Basically the whole lineup was redundant before the Equinox, even before the Duck Dynasty Treasure Commander Phil Robertson TC3X. That one at least looks like it can shoot arrows.

They may perhaps survive in the Global market, but have limited use in the USA/UK markets. It doesn't help to have this convoluted and diluted lineup. They come out with machines too fast (In both RnD and frequency) and unpolished. It feels like they are just out for the hype cash, seems like every year there is a new one, every year I get a cramp in my head from rolling my eyes so hard reading about it. What happened to the impact?, the $1,000 USD 2017 metal detector that took AA batteries and looked like a CTX? Ya, right. A Racer2 in sheep's clothing.

Makro doesn't make anything worth more then $300 -$350 USD detector IMO.

Although it seems like I am being overly critical, they choose to price themselves in comparisons to companies that hold valuable patents and have spent the money on research, testing and development. That is harder and financially riskier then just copying someone else. That is why a consumer begrudgingly spends the money on a Minelab etc, not because they are naive.

If I was steering the ship at Makro, I would make the Racer3 with multiple frequency for $300 USD and gut the Garret Ace/GoFind lineup. Make a "real" machine affordable, don't make another beginner machine. The writing is on the wall for the $500--$1500 market. That is dominated by Minelab, XP, saturated by Garret and augmented by Fisher. 

1 hour ago, Alluminati said:

Makro are overpriced IMO, based on my experience with the Racer. It was an average machine, it looked cheaper then it felt, the main complaint being the price. (It was used)

Now that the Equinox has gained a footing, other manufacturers will find it harder to financially exploit those who don't finish their research, or have difficulty in researching the nuances between detectors because of language barriers. (Why would anyone even buy a Notcka/Makro unless they just wanted something to do?)

Basically the whole lineup was redundant before the Equinox, even before the Duck Dynasty Treasure Commander Phil Robertson TC3X. That one at least looks like it can shoot arrows.

They may perhaps survive in the Global market, but have limited use in the USA/UK markets. It doesn't help to have this convoluted and diluted lineup. They come out with machines too fast (In both RnD and frequency) and unpolished. It feels like they are just out for the hype cash, seems like every year there is a new one, every year I get a cramp in my head from rolling my eyes so hard reading about it. What happened to the impact?, the $1,000 USD 2017 metal detector that took AA batteries and looked like a CTX? Ya, right. A Racer2 in sheep's clothing.

Makro doesn't make anything worth more then $300 -$350 USD detector IMO.

Although it seems like I am being overly critical, they choose to price themselves in comparisons to companies that hold valuable patents and have spent the money on research, testing and development. That is harder and financially riskier then just copying someone else. That is why a consumer begrudgingly spends the money on a Minelab etc, not because they are naive.

If I was steering the ship at Makro, I would make the Racer3 with multiple frequency for $300 USD and gut the Garret Ace/GoFind lineup. Make a "real" machine affordable, don't make another beginner machine. The writing is on the wall for the $500--$1500 market. That is dominated by Minelab, XP, saturated by Garret and augmented by Fisher. 

Alluminati,

Normally I don't comment or respond on a post such as yours, but I have to throw in my two cents worth. While I respect that you felt the need to express your opinion about Nokta/Makro based on perhaps your experience you have had with one of their metal detectors, but I believe in my opinion reading between the lines of your post you are somewhat bias. I also believe in my opinion that many detectorist on this forum and other metal detecting forums that Nokta/Makro have come to the forefront of leading manufacturers and responded to requests and desires in what people want in a metal detector. Steve H. has giving good reviews on Nokta/Makro products in the past and praised how they respond to consumers request or problems.

Be it Minelab, XP Deus, White's, Garrett, Fisher, Nokta/Makro etc., and the products they develop and bring to market and how they promote those products to the consumers and how the consumers respond to those products will be the deciding factor of who survives or leads the market. Competition is always in the best interest of the consumer.

Again, just my two cents worth!

They haven't built one for me yet.  Always something inherently wrong with every one I have use.  Blendy/Bleedy audio, while some can deal with it I can't.  Give me lightning fast audio (Nox) with the beautiful soft warble on deep tough intermingled targets any day.

MK..  What?  The ergonomics are terrible with that top heavy pod.  My buddy brought his to a hunt for me to try and after picking it up and swinging it a couple times went right for the Nox.  Who cares if it has good performance if it's that off in ergo. It's like trying to swing a detector with a pendulum mounted above the grip.

Just my opinions.

Tom

If not liking an overpriced detector makes me biased, then I guess I am biased. 

6 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

Competition is always in the best interest of the consumer. 

Were do we draw the line. Is a counterfeit egg made out of melamine good for the market? It's competition right?

What is it about Nokta/Makro that is at the forefront? It can't be multi frequency because XP Deus did that 10 years ago and Minelab holds the patent on simultaneous multi frequency.

I think you are misappropriating my observations to a degree. Competition is good and all that, this is simply an appraisal. If the Racer3 was $350 with shifting frequncies I would recommend it.  That is hardly a bias, it is constructive criticism.

The one and only reason Makro has had the success they had was because of TNSharpshooter. That had nothing to do with price, I don't think I've ever read about price in his articles, I'm sure its there. Now that they have the recognition in the USA/UK, I wonder how many Makros old TN gets in the mail these days? Maybe he said he didn't want one unless the include the batteries.

No worries though, I enjoy the discussion.