Victorian Prospecting Update

Currently camped on the job in central Vic where comms are difficult, but here's a progress report.

Been at it for a couple of weeks (I think :unsure:) but there are some results to report. I've been working solo a lot of the time but also with Reg when he's not too busy.

We started off testing the new Detech 32" coplanar concentric which Stinky Pete kindly loaned us for a few days. What a coil!

Although we didn't manage to put it over any deep gold, it's easily the deepest seeking coil we have ever used, yet sensitive to small targets as well. I'm ordering an 18" to 20" model as soon as they become available. Howard is busy planning mods to the QED so it can run them as well.

I'm pretty excited about these coils. My friend Tony has been winding and using them for years with great prospecting success. Needless to say, he isn't interested in owning a "Z"

Hang onto your GPX's folks, they're about to penetrate previously unreached depths!

Some of the properties we've been prospecting are familiar and some are new. Always a buzz to finally get onto new ground after meeting with the "Cocky" and negotiating a deal. In some cases the ground has been detected before by others, but with careful gridding we always manage more. On one property we worked yesterday a previously detected patch yielded an additional ounce and a half in chunky colours (young blokes we were told) Perhaps they were ignoring screamers, but we're not complaining :cool:

First up, my solo tally so far. largest piece (front) over half an oz. All found with QED PL2:

IMG_20190730_200634.thumb.jpg.66f8b187bcb8db9c62f994505336f701.jpg

- and our shared tally to be eventually split 50/50 . Again, largest piece (front) over half an oz detected by Reg:

IMG_20190730_200824.thumb.jpg.707c331a971c0f4d7d2c6ccb702b6bbc.jpg

All gold located in patches on eroded Tertiary leads. Some pieces still have traces of the cement matrix they eroded out from.

A general view of one of the Tertiary patches with Reg's young foxy "Boo"  photobombing. Reg in the distance:

IMG_20190730_113502.thumb.jpg.b141867600cce3160385c174e49a0ca3.jpg

Posted elsewhere on this forum, my two largest pieces, found under 500kv powerlines:

IMG_20190727_122620.thumb.jpg.7c332dd9911fdb121770cc3c4598b2eb.jpg

A 400mm dig for a 5 grammer. I love that 18" Elite, it even centered shallow flyshite that doesn't register on my scales:

IMG_20190712_100148.thumb.jpg.6c07269a90e429c6e7ad2ad9e4adfc89.jpg

That's all for now. To be continued - - -

Thanks for the update and good hunting for more.

Mitchel

I like the character of your gold more so than a lot of gold I have seen from Oz. Very nice lumps and I hope you find many more. ?

Coplaner concentric, that’s interesting. Just to be sure we are on the same page, do you mean a coil like the White’s Dual Field for the TDI where there are basically two coils, an smaller inner and a larger outer?

8E6A501B-EE49-48B1-A94B-F89D7E5D9397.png

Great looking location, great looking gold!

Thanks for the update JR can't wait fore the next installment.

I knew it I knew it I knew it! and the photos prove it! Australia is all flat ground covered in manicured grass with puffy white clouds above and gentle  cool breezes and just enough trees for taking a brief nap in the shade.  Australian gold should only be worth half of the same weight in Sierra Nevada gold.

Mr. JRBeatty is right on when he advises to hang on to your GPXs. The GPZ is a good addition to the GPX series but not a replacement.

Update: while gridding out an area this morning, I heard a faint dipping signal in an area which only yielded small flyshite in the past. 

Hit large rounded quartz gravels a foot down and dug through into red clay:

IMG_20190731_105623.thumb.jpg.4dd87783e2da47b6fc43452b8eb1fe90.jpg

Personal best so far this trip. Sorry about the shitty image. Should read .842 ozt. 

Apart from 3 small flyshite that's all to report - - -

Good to see that you use Ozt instead of Grains other wise your scale wood read approx 16,414 grains and that would freak out our NZ friends.  :biggrin: Nice to see a nice nugget.?