25 minutes ago, Willy said:

Le Jag never implied that there was a target ID (VDI) on the Impulse AQ.

All the video sessions have shown the IRON REJECTION in one of the two disc modes; no more, no less.

Indeed, in TONE mode, a gold target gives a HIGH PITCH sound and ferrous target gives a LOW PITCH sound.

In MUTE mode, the ferrous targets give NO SOUND and non-ferrous targets give HIGH PITCH sound.
The only non-ferrous targets shown have always been GOLD JEWELRY , no coin of any type.

It is also what is specified on the 'flyer '

Target ID is not the same as VDI (Visual Target Indicator).

Target ID is simply the detectors ability to identify a target.

I should have said Tone ID which is a form of target ID.

Tone ID is the ability to identify a target by a designated tone.

Le Jag's video implied the AQ as having Tone ID.

14 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

Target ID is not the same as VDI (Visual Target Indicator).

Target ID is simply the detectors ability to identify a target.

I should have said Tone ID which is a form of target ID.

Tone ID is the ability to identify a target by a designated tone.

Le Jag's video implied the AQ as having Tone ID.

Yes, there is a multitude of audio frequencies. It's not just a low tone.

If your target is in saturation, you switch directly to the extremes (1500HZ or 50HZ), otherwise it makes a multitude of sound frequency according to your settings.

image.thumb.png.f5e06f17669447f2c036bfacf9fb6acb.png

LE JAG neither speaks nor writes English with any fluency. He writes in French and runs it through Google Translate.

The AQ has two “discrimination” modes besides all metal. 

Multitone (or tone) provided two tones - high and low (the fact that within the two categories - high and low there are in fact audio frequency variations is noted) All targets which have a time constant shorter than the balance point established by the Reject control setting give a high tone. All targets which have a time constant longer than the balance point give a low tone. 

In Mute the principle of operation is the same, except the targets which give a low tone are muted instead.

Now, what targets? Depending on the setting of the Reject control and the ATS control as well, various targets will fall on the “long” side of the balance point set by the Reject control. Typically these include high conductors such as silver as well as ferrous targets because of their ferrromagnetic characteristics.

This is COMPLETELY different that the phase shift based discrimination of a typical VLF detector.

Yes, it is true and that's what the system does to distinguish iron to non-iron.

Every non-iron targets are to be dig out indeed, including the many scraps of lead, bronze or brass found everywhere.

1 hour ago, Badger-NH said:

It's all LEJAG's fault for making those videos where the nails gave a low tone and the gold ring gave a high tone. I think that got a lot of peoples attention and made some believe that target ID in a PI might be possible.

I just noticed in the recent flyer that there is no mention of the AQ having any form of target ID except for iron which is only going to be in Tone and Mute modes. The question is, how useful are these modes?

The problem is also people wanting to hear what they want to believe, and not taking the time to listen to people who are offering realistic explanations and assessments of what a PI detector can and cannot due. I have spent a huge amount of my time in the last year here trying to offer information specifically to address the concerns that people may have. I honestly feel like I am wasting my time for all the good it does.

How useful are the AQ discrimination modes? Very useful for an experienced PI operator like myself. For people who only know and expect VLF discrimination, not so much. PI discrimination is based on time constants, not conductivity, and understanding what that means reveals everything. Anyway, I’ve done my best but I swear it’s just spitting in the wind trying to explain this stuff to people. I’ve said it long and complicated, and said it short and sweet, to no avail. Hopefully somebody with better communication skills than I will get it all across. Or maybe it’s that I prefer words and people only trust videos, the most misleading and easily manipulated form of communication in use today. Good luck with the videos. And with that, I give up on explaining PI discrimination and am going detecting! :smile:

Fisher Impulse AQ Discrimination Explained

Impulse AQ and Hair Pins

”Yes but beware, the IMPULSE AQ is not made for the amateur, it is designed for an experienced prospector*, and people who want to find more gold with a more advanced and more complex search mode.

It has never been said otherwise, if you want ease and display of conductivity you will need an equinox or a BBS or a DEUS or others. But with 60% less sensitivity in the best of cases, on wet sand. L'impulse AQ is not a coinshooter.”

- Alexandre Tartar, Impulse AQ designer

* French translated i.e. detectorist

As a general rule, the frequency variation occurs over the last 4 inches of the depth.
As same for ALL METAL mode, just upper the search coil a little to confirm by ear.

So you can have a low tone that does not have the same audio frequency depending on the ferrous, and you can have a high pitch that does not have the same audio frequency depending on the gold jewelry.

For the record, lest someone reading an earlier post should conclude that the the videos showing gold rings giving a high tone and nails giving a low tone are somehow faked, contrived or represent the outcome of some kind of specially contrived set-up - I can assert - from my own use of three different AQ’s - that the results in the videos are typical and completely accurate and correct.

14 minutes ago, Willy said:

Yes, it is true and that's what the system does to distinguish iron to non-iron.

14 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The problem is also people wanting to hear what they want to believe, and not taking the time to listen to people who are offering realistic explanations and assessments of what a PI detector can and cannot due.

So my general hunting concerns are:  Getting older and just do not want to dig everything anymore, also to a lessor degree listen to everything.

Some of my target concerns:  Not sure if anyone has noticed  but coinage over the years is being manufactured with less products that make them "nonferrous"  Example most of the coinage in Mexico will now ring in as ferrous on most detectors with discrimination.

However add-in the salt water oxidation process and  you have "hot" targets that can and try to break out of ferrous mode.

For those that have the AQ running in two-tone or "mute"  is it a 95% probability   you id the target as ferrous?  

I ask this because if I go back to listening to "everything" and having to make decisions as to a double-break, or tone size or anything that is not simplified. I go back to wasting lots of time.   

33 minutes ago, Rick Kempf said:

For the record, lest someone reading an earlier post should conclude that the the videos showing gold rings giving a high tone and nails giving a low tone are somehow faked, contrived or represent the outcome of some kind of specially contrived set-up - I can assert - from my own use of three different AQ’s - that the results in the videos are typical and completely accurate and correct.

Also to expand on my last post to Rick. If I were to take a gold chain and set the Mute mode to a point where I can still hear the gold chain would I reject or maybe the right term is "mute" most ferrous targets? 

Thanks Dave

Hopefully all of the AQ Limited detectors will be sold to those who have at least some knowledge of PI detectors.  I run a TDI Pro and a Dual Field along with a Deus, CTX 3030, and the Equinox 800.  Different horses for different courses basically.  I know what to expect out of each detector when I take it to the hunt site whether beach or dirt.  That's the hurdle these VLF (only) don't seem to understand.  At least by putting these detectors into the hands of experienced detectorist their should be a lot of really good feedback (whether good or bad) coming from them on their sites.  

I think it has been explained that you need to basically FORGET anything you know about a VLF detector if you use a PI. That is pretty much the bottom line.  Apples to Oranges folks.  Listen to Steve, Rick, Andre, Le Jag, Willie and Joe!!!