Legend - First Impressions

Received a Legend WHP with 11” stock coil today.

First impressions are that this is an extremely nice detector as far as build quality, features, layout, and general feel.

Weight is similar to the Equinox but the handle/grip is much more comfortable at least for my hands and the Legend is not very nose heavy with the 11” coil. The Legend’s weight is fairly evenly distributed. It actually reminds me of a T2, F70 or F75 in that regard.

The audio tones are very nice compared to previous Nokta Makro detectors and have a more tone-like audio similar to the Equinox and Deus 2 using Square audio. The audio volume, pitches, and tone breaks are easy to adjust.

It was about 35 F here in central Georgia today with a wind chill of half that temperature so detecting with the Legend didn’t happen. 

Hopefully I will be able to use it some tomorrow 3/13/22.

Please feel free to comment or leave your impressions of the Legend if you have one and want to add to this discussion whether you agree or disagree with whatever I might report.

I look forward to hearing what you think of it Jeff, these are the sorts of opinions I've been waiting for, user reports!

Also, Happy Birthday 🙂

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The Legend’s weight is fairly evenly distributed. It actually reminds me of a T2, F70 or F75 in that regard.

That's high praise (and I'm not being facetious).  Some may not know that those detectors are the gold standard for balance in a moderate (~3.5 lb) weight package.  Coincidentally I'm going to be doing some separation tests with my Fisher F75 (and my Minelab X-Terra 705) as soon as it warms up here today.

Meanwhile I'm waiting anxiously for your report on the Legend's performance.  Bet you didn't expect mid-March Georgia temps would be down there (not that you didn't know it was possible), but if it's like here we're going to have great detecting weather this week.

Thanks Simon, George, Chuck and Dean. 

I am in Georgia to help take care of my 91 year old mother who developed a really bad Covid toe infection and had her foot amputated. She is in great spirits since her foot has finally stopped hurting….

I may not have much time to detect.

I will say that there are plenty of settings, icons and adjustments to learn and make on the Legend. I won’t come close to being able to report on most of them yet.

Dean, the vibration feature works really well in my opinion and it has several levels of intensity. I haven’t tested it much but I will soon.

Prayers for your Mum, Jeff.  chance to glance at the manual while sitting together. 

Kind Regards 

clive

Quick 1 hour hunt at a local school complex. Standard US clad along with a 1942 Wheat penny and a 10k gold opened hoop earring. 

I was using the 11” coil in Park Multi 1, sensitivity 25, 6 tones, recovery speed 5 and was using the ground discrimination setting which rejects target IDs 1 and 2 to take care of ground noise from the red iron rich clay that is the soil here which is made from decomposition of granite and gneiss. I definitely performed a ground grab before hunting!

My mother told me to get out of the house for an hour since it was my 66th birthday and she was being looked after by my sister. I obeyed. 

My third target was the 10k opened hoop earring (bottom right earring on the plate) which gave a very solid audio response and a TID of 14. It was 3” deep and surrounded by 16 steel 🧷 safety pins from a high school cross country race event. I could clearly hear a good target amid those pins. The other coins were identified correctly both by tone and numbers so no up averaging even in mineralized dirt. The US nickel and pull tabs were 5”+ deep. I had adjusted the 6 tones, volume levels and tone breaks to match ferrous targets, small gold/aluminum targets and the 5 main modern US coins.

The only possible negative was what seemed to be a bit of Bluetooth lag since I was having some issues locating targets using the onboard pinpoint function. However, the red dirt was extremely wet and my Tek Point went nuts anywhere near the dirt so could be ground conditions more than wireless lag. 

So far, the Legend has been very quiet and stable and is a pleasure to swing and use. For those with a Simplex, the Legend has much better weight balance. 

For Dean, the vibration feature works in all of the modes, it has 0 to 5 for intensity and can be shortened or lengthened in duration by adjusting the recovery speed. 

Yes, those chewed up coins are modern zinc pennies which are destroyed quickly by the soil here.

8C952822-8104-4E82-B7B0-5D4609778DAA.jpeg

AA2AAA96-C740-482E-BF0F-2CF4324E509C.jpeg