Yesterday I hit an old house site that I’ve hit many times before. Actually it’s multiple old house sites from an old textile mill.  There’s a new larger plant where the old textile mill used to be, but all the old houses are long gone and there’s a huge grassy area in front of the new factory where all the old houses stood.  You’re not allowed to detect this grassy area.  I know because I got asked to leave about a year ago.  However, there’s a city hike/bike trail that goes right next to part of the grassy area and I can still hunt there.  In the past when I brazenly detected the main grassy area😇, I found quite a few silver coins and some cool relics.  But now all I’m left with is a small area by the trail that is yielding less and less finds.  I did manage to find an old toy car, a rifle casing and an old lock.  I did get two wheaties but no silver.  

So, the 39 nickels.  What’s up with that?   Well this morning I decided to hit my son’s high school for a clad hunt.  A while back pre-deus II, I used my nox and got $33 in clad out of there in one afternoon.  Then a time after that I got around $17 and few more times close to $10 each time.  Needless to say this place hasn’t been detected in a long time.  Today I got $12.08, but the amazing thing is I dug 39 nickels!  That’s a new nickel record for me!   I mostly used two programs:  Rattleheads silver slayer and my own GCOIN3.  The GCOIN3 (general, used for coins, 3 tones) is based on the general program with disc at 7 and notches from 7-57 and 66-80 with 3 tones.  The silver slayer is similar but based on the Fast program with disc at 7 and notches from 7-59 and 65-87 with pitch tones.  With both I had the sensitivity at 80 (the lowest sense I’ve ever used with the D2) and reactivity at 3.  Both programs are like lasers at picking out coins from the trash.  I don’t know why I got so many nickels. I was digging everything in the 60s.  Sometimes the TID was consistent but the tones sounded bad and other times the tones sounded really good but the numbers were really jumpy.  On some the tones were so bad that I normally would have passed on digging, but today I just wanted to experiment and most ended up being nickels.  You can see the amount of pulltabs I dug.  The half square tabs sounded really good and were indistinguishable from a good textbook nickel signal.  

9A9DE312-EC7F-4D04-82CF-AA770A0FA5E9.jpeg

E93ECD0E-9755-47F4-8EB1-2A7050D0A1CD.jpeg

D510B8ED-B622-4B7E-9728-B69F24963857.jpeg

Nice hunt. A cool toy car. To bad it was in a crash! 🙂

Sounds like someone been cherry picking the high tones for a long time, probably one of those Tesoro users :0 🙂

Great story and hunt NC! 👍 Nice coin shoot, I think the kicker was digging everything in the 60s, that sure will net you a fair amount of pull tabs 😀

I really enjoy those instances of pulling lots of coins in a short time, but it does make me tired. Awesome!

With that many nickels I'd try it again, good odds there might be a gold something still there.   About 1997 i hit a beach and two guy's were leaving when i got there. They had Minelabs, all i found were nickels with my Tesoro golden µmax.  Don't know if they were silver sniping or what but not a clad quarter or dime did i find either. I was running no notch as i had no idea how to use it then, later i figured it out and could notch square tabs and some ring pulls out  and got better at finding gold compared to before.  

Great hunt with a lot of digging, something I like to do but haven't had time to go yet.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Up here, it was common to keep children busy at social events by having them "hunt for treasure". Coins (usually pennies or nickels) were mixed in a pile of dirt, and the kids spent many happy hours digging with their hands for the coins.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered about 100 pennies from the mid-1990's in a 10 foot circle in the far corner of a park in the centre of town. So many coins, that I simply stopped digging them. The coins were all at least 3 inches down. I suspect this was a "treasure pile" from some past get-together. I've included a picture of some of the coins.

If only I could find a "treasure pile" from earlier times!

thumbnail_20220927_055653.jpg