Pounded Site Still Producing

At a recent club meeting a couple of friends and I discussed hunting an old coal mining camp again that we had hunted a couple weeks prior. We had some success on the first visit to this site, but I wanted to see if some adjustments to some programs that I made on my XP Deus II would yield some better results. All of us are using the XP Deus II since this spring and have used them on club outings and on our own outings to sites that are loaded with cans, nails and ferrous Items that make detecting these sites tough and frustrating. I and many other people have detected this site many times before more than a decade ago, so it became one those so called “pounded sites” as finds had greatly diminished over time.

The day started with breakfast at a local café that resulted in talking with some old timers that lived and knew about some of the coal mining camps in the area that resulted in some information on potential hunt sites in the future. We then headed off to the site and then split up with me starting on the far end of the site and the other two on the other end. This site has an abundance of cholla cactus, so it makes detecting interesting at times, but the wind was blowing steady that day at 30 mph with gusts of 60+ mph that made even more of a challenge.

This coal mining camp was in existence from 1898 to 1935, so there is a wide range of ferrous and non-ferrous finds from that period to be found. I came away with a 1912 D Barber Dime, 1890 Indian cent, religious medallion, thimble, some buttons, miner’s ID tag, two 5 cent and one 10 cent tokens, a cuff link. Also found was what I thought was a coin because of the reeded edge, was a wheel that turns the wick for an oil lamp (stamped Kosmos-Brenner) and a small brass case for matches or toothpicks? The tokens are not from this coal mining camp.

1.thumb.jpg.9239ac037a0fde13480b881d96a604d1.jpg2.thumb.jpg.25add359bbba110fecb704721d5c8ce8.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.f179366acb5849eb4c8c51a57155913d.jpg4.thumb.jpg.cf5f52eb46560af7179f7d2e2ccdcec0.jpg

Wonder what the letters mean on the reverse side of the religious medallion?

6.thumb.jpg.7600289ffd3b461de093f8f5a1d2fd72.jpg

Some of the junk found.

5.thumb.jpg.c61fc6dfa76e3ceb0a80d645de506237.jpg

Very nice finds and pictures  . Yes difficult to beat the XPs in the iron trash this is their DNA .. What modes-settings were you using btw ? thx 

I like the trash too.

Good hunt.

Wow, it's like you never hunted it before. That's some nice finds. Everything nice and clean. IH is in great shape. Good ground.

What a great collection of finds! Like others have said it's like no one was ever there. 👍 The Deus is doing you good!

The medal is St. Benedict, a Catholic religious pendant. Here's one I found on the internet like it:il_794xN.3243265979_s6v8.jpg.ea4b4aa80b559b4c688272c1f070b28c.jpg

Glenn, you consistently impress whether it's gold or coins&relics.  All that in one day's hunt?

That small container might be for pills.  What is the composition of the tokens?  Aluminum? They survived quite well.  That miner's tag looks like it's made of iron.  I have found brass ones but not iron, but I don't dig targets with dTID less than nickel 3-cent piece (except when gold detecting).  Along the lines of what JCR said, your junkpile looks like my best finds on many of my ghost town detects.

8 hours ago, palzynski said:

Very nice finds and pictures  . Yes difficult to beat the XPs in the iron trash this is their DNA .. What modes-settings were you using btw ? thx 

I'm using two different fast mode programs, one with pitch and one with 5 tones. Using different notch setting, along with different bottlecap and silencer settings to tame the iron that these sites have. Still experimenting with the settings, trying to find a custom program that will be my go to program for these type of sites.