My Take On The Minelab GPZ 7000

Steve and Chris. Sorry for all the questions .....but ...... did either of you get to have a crack on a salt lake by any chance?

Cheers

BB

OK, an indirect report from JP at http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t20896-silly-ml#201830 which would indicate that the GPZ may not be the best solution for extreme salt situations at this time.

• Like 1

If using a B&Z use Threshold at 27, Audio Smoothing Off, Sensitivity 10 to 12 for Difficult modes, sens 8 to 10 for Normal modes, Auto Tracking. Best bang for your buck in noisy ground is High Yield/Difficult, General/Normal for quieter areas and High Yield/Normal for dead quiet ground.Do not use Extra Deep unless the ground is extremely bad,  the naming is a silly. 

Hope this helps,

JP

Hi Dave, plug directly into the WM 12 to avoid damaging the cable. Please see here for preferred GB procedure.  http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/741-warm-up-for-gpz-7000-some-clarification/

BTW The General/Difficult mode is very good and more sensitive than Fine Gold on a 5K and has better outright depth over the High Yield/Difficult on larger nuggets (generally over an ounce), but High Yield/Difficult smokes both the 5K in Fine Gold and the GPZ in General/Difficult on nuggets from around the half ounce mark and down (best on 5 to 10 grams).

JP

A detector that you have to "warm up" for 15 to 20 minutes??

I was thinking the same thing. But then I thought It takes me 40 min to warm up so I should be good to go.  Never the less here is the first video of someone actually using the GPZ 7000.

strick

Late last year I used it during a time when the temperatures were close to 30° F and had no problems with it at all. I also used it at a different time at elevations were quite high and had no problem there either. So don't think either elevation temperature will make much difference (within the bounds of what my body would withstand while detecting as when temperatures get much below freezing detecting starts getting to be less fun).

• Like 1

What I'm describing is very subtle and will only be noticed once operators become intimately familiar with the detector but it does have merit when working in extremely mineralised dirt. From a cold start the electronics will gradually climb to operating temperature which is unaffected by outside ambient while the detector is running. From an operators standpoint the detector will just sound smoother to listen to.

JP 

• Like 1

1.5 gram I get an easy 10" or more with a 12" coil on the TDI Pro. Good to know that I'm not giving up all that much. With that said, naturally many times, an inch or two in added depth is all it takes to make an old patch new again. Definitely looking forward to more reports from actual field users. I see a GPZ in my future eventually.  B)