Record Silver Day With The 800

Dan(NM)

Well......what a day, I started off this morning at 5 am to head off to a Civil war site. I found the usual relics, lead, percussion caps, but, got tired of not digging and high conductive targets. The first picture is from the Civil war site. I decided to call it a day around noon and headed home to get some things done around the house. As I drove thru town I saw a front end loader and a pile of asphalt at the old zoo. I quickly did a u-turn and drove back to see what was happening, what a beautiful site, 75% of the parking lot had been striped of the asphalt. I was informed that the parking lot was paved back in 1984 and had been a dirt parking lot going back to when the guy was a kid and he assumed before that. The timing was perfect, just as I was ready to begin hunting the guys called it a day, gotta love city workers smiley.gif I started my hunt around 2:00 and hunted until 8:00 pm.

I began finding coins within seconds of turning my machine on and hunted until I ran out of light and gas. They didn't cut all the asphalt out completely, so, I had to use my prospectors pick to chisel thru a layer of asphalt and gravel. And of course halfway thru the hunt, my pick decided to crap out on me, so I had to skip all but solid hits until I could get my pick repaired. I'll go back tomorrow after work and chase all the stuff I left behind today and there was a bunch of it ?

I'm a firm believer in the depth ability of Nox after today, I have never dug great sounding targets at theses depths until today. I was getting CTX like depths with positive ID's and strong repeatable tones and only running sensitivity at 18. Most of the silver and copper was 6-10" deep and I had no doubt I was digging either copper or silver coins.  The 2 nickles hit at 25-27 VDI , which was a good thing, otherwise I wouldn't have gone after them. The  only thing I can attribute the depth to today was the fact I was running my recovery speed at 4 instead of 6 like I normally do. My settings were as follows:

Park 1

Ground balance 0

Iron bias  0

Recovery speed  4

Sens  18

Tone break -9 to +16, just because of the urgency of the hunt and the digging conditions, I'll drop it down to -9 to + 10 tomorrow

No disc

2 tones

I found a nice variety of coins and some I have not identified yet due to the crust on most of them. I ended up with:

6- Mercs
1-Barber
1- Washington
1-Walker
1-Rosie
1-Mexcian dime
2-Silver war nickles
2-tokens..1-trade...1 Tax
1-WW2 Eagle coat button

I'm not sure how many Wheats, or what all was dug yet, cleaning in process. I'll post a pic after I get everything as clean as possible. It was by far my best silver day so far, I'm sure there is as many left as I took out still waiting to be rescued! Thanks for looking.

ff1.jpg

zoosilver.jpg

zoocopper.jpg

zoo.jpg

Great place, I hope you get more!

jackpot! I'm always keeping my eyes open for stuff like that. Here in California they will fence off some of the areas as soon as they start working on it. 

strick

Right place at the right time, and you acted upon the opportunity.  Justly rewarded!  Looking forward to seeing these coins cleaned up as well as viewing what you find on your second sweep of that location.

You gotta love that, congrats on finding that!!!

It reminds me of when I found a virgin scout/church camp and me and the guy I hunted with each found ~ 12 silver coins on the first couple of hunts, over the course of a month we dug over 100 silver coins, including four walker half dollars, couple dozen pieces of silver jewelry and sterling silver flatware, one gold ring and some cool relics.  Unfortunately the camp site only started in 1940, but ended in the 1960's so there were very few pull-tabs and very little clad, often days your silver count was equal to your wheatie count ?

Heck I'd run that 15" coil there, no idea how old your zoo is, but you might get some more barbers or break into a seated ?

Congrats on a fantastic hunt!!!!  I've driven by a number of old street tear outs but unfortunately, too much traffic around and/or bad timing on my part. 

Incredible luck, incredible timing, Dan.

And of course -- an INCREDIBLE job done by you, digging that many good targets at substantial depth!

SUPER!

Steve

I probably could have recovered more the first day if it didn't take so long to chisel  through a layer of asphalt and compacted gravel before getting to the virgin soil. It was very time consuming, only concentrated on solid repeatable hits. Didn't have time to chase after the iffy signals or the energy either.