TT Blog By JP About GPZ Ground Balance

It will take some concentration to get over the habits that are ingrained from previous PI's. 

Having this article and perhaps Bruce Candy's input later, will be a big help as the new habits are learned.

Looking forward to reading the technical reasons why these ground balancing methods are recommended.

Thanks JP and thank you Steve.

Worthy of printing out and keeping in the truck, good explanation.

One question I have is during the initial startup phase when you only see the Minelab logo on the screen, is the detector actively sensing ground information and calibrating itself? Or does that only begin once the threshold becomes audible and the modes/options screen comes up?

My take this early in my use of the GPZ, it will balance out small nuggets. To prove this get a 0.5 grammer or smaller, and after half hour or so of using GPZ without touching the tracking, ie GPZ is GB for where you are, place small nugget on ground pump up and down over it and listen to the signal get fainter. I think it might have been JP who early in the piece advised setting the user configurable button to manual GB, I have done that and feel it is the way to go. I went through a very frustrating time on a patch of small pieces, (but fun) trying to locate once dug out, by setting the user button to manual GB getting piece then going back to auto tracking the GB setting the GPZ had reached before going to manual GB seems to be not affected.

But I stress this is my take, it is early days.

Worthy of printing out and keeping in the truck, good explanation.

One question I have is during the initial startup phase when you only see the Minelab logo on the screen, is the detector actively sensing ground information and calibrating itself? Or does that only begin once the threshold becomes audible and the modes/options screen comes up?

Detector has a lot of initializing to do before transmission begins, if interested have another detector nearby and listen to its audio at switch on, once interference begins you will know at what point the unit is live.

JP

My take this early in my use of the GPZ, it will balance out small nuggets. To prove this get a 0.5 grammer or smaller, and after half hour or so of using GPZ without touching the tracking, ie GPZ is GB for where you are, place small nugget on ground pump up and down over it and listen to the signal get fainter. I think it might have been JP who early in the piece advised setting the user configurable button to manual GB, I have done that and feel it is the way to go. I went through a very frustrating time on a patch of small pieces, (but fun) trying to locate once dug out, by setting the user button to manual GB getting piece then going back to auto tracking the GB setting the GPZ had reached before going to manual GB seems to be not affected.

But I stress this is my take, it is early days.

Obviously there will be a reduction in signal response if you bounce the coil right on top of the target especially if you trigger the Quick-Trak. I am referring to general use of the detector in a manner as per the instruction manual, obviously there will be exceptions if you go against good procedure.

JP

http://youtu.be/2Qf_MUQKyjo

• Like 1

JP thanks for all your input about the use of the GPZ as always your's and Steve's info is very much welcomed as it will shorten my learning curve .

To clarify my post a wee, I was in heavy grass ground had approx. 4inch dia rocks imbedded in surface half protruding, certainly not knocking the GPZ, in fact it found pieces down to 0.14 gram at depth in those conditions with a 14 inch coil is remarkable. But it does cancel out those small signals in conditions like that when trying to pinpoint the piece after digging out. I found setting the user button to manual GB, locate nugget in manual than hit user button again and go back to auto GB to continue, did not seem to interfere with auto GB setting. Got to concur leave the track trigger alone, seems no need to use after initial setup. For me is very early days, got a lot of learning with the GPZ Gold Magnet.

An informative read Thanks JP.

In another thread there were questions about mode switching and whether GB info was stored for each mode during a session or if the GB info followed between modes.  Those questions are laid to rest now :)  I've also had to rethink my own practice a little in terms of how to check balancing.  The coil bounce outlined makes sense to me so I'll just leave the quick track trigger alone.

I'm curious, has anyone tried knocking on their neighbor by doing and EMI balance while your mates are nearby detecting? *grin*  When I'm out and my mates come up on me out bush, head down and trotting my way, I'd have a bit of fun or just wake them up from their daze by lifting the detector~ point it at them~ and hit the emi balance.  Great fun watching them start as their machine warbles like a mad dog at them.  Hahh!