phoenix

I Don`t Understand What Minelab Is Doing

You know Rick , I'll put money on it that the next gen ML Gold Machine will have 1/2 its circuitry in the coil like the Nox has, that will stuff everyone up that bought a "X" coil

Should that happen, those that have bought these coils will either buy the new Machine or keep what they have, use the 7 as a back up machine after the 8 comes out (if its any good that is) time will tell , 9.5kAU now 13kAU for the 8?

Where will it all end?

Marty 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty said:

...1/2 its circuitry in the coil like the Nox has...

It does?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm looking for machines that keep the circuitry as far from the coil as possible ?

if Minelab is not interested in selling any other aftermarket coils for our zed's then they are missing the boat not selling us overpriced security chip enabled adaptors from technology already developed so we can buy from other vendors.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 1515Art said:

if Minelab is not interested in selling any other aftermarket coils for our zed's then they are missing the boat not selling us overpriced security chip enabled adaptors from technology already developed so we can buy from other vendors.

That's what I thought, two hundred bucks for a good quality Minelab adapter wouldn't be out of the question for most people.  Most would pay it for peace of mind knowing they're not risking their detector.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's what I thought, two hundred bucks for a good quality Minelab adapter wouldn't be out of the question for most people.  Most would pay it for piece of mind knowing they're not risking their detector.

I suspect trying to look at this from MLs view, if they were to make a "patch lead" they`d be leaving themselves open to warranty claims for damage done to the GPZ caused by an incompatible coil. Anyone could then knock up a coil and put on the Z. It would open a whole can of worms, I know this is so with the GPXs but they may have the ability to be not damaged by an incompatible coil wheras the GPZ being the 1st of new tech (ZVT) may not have this ability and thus suffer damage. 

I don`t think we will get that peace of mind and those of us who go for the X coil should be prepared to shoulder that risk themselves, as you know I`ve gone for the X coil with my 3rd in the mail, but to me the rewards are worth this risk. That old saying comes to mind "if you take the risk be prepared to push the pram"

No doubt ML have Z2 in the pipeline and perhaps it will address the issue that we the customer want a variety of coils.

An Explainer: I spent 20 years of my working life manufacturing and selling a then niche product, the most 5 year warranty claims I had by far were caused by user misuse and were easily solved most just by telephone conversation.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Norvic said:

"if you take the risk be prepared to push the pram"

I`ve never heard that saying but I like it ?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I just need to get lucky again.  and again ... haha

Or get some X coils......and go back over your old ground. The results will astound you. Unless some else beats you there with their X coils.:rolleyes: Early bird gets the worm....

Good luck out there

JW ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

"if you take the risk be prepared to push the pram"

Ha ha....I like that one too.? & I pushed the pram 4 times:rolleyes:. Slow learner, & I thought it was something in the water, so I cut the pipeline. That seemed to end it. Good fun trying though.:laugh:

JW ?

• Haha 2

ML wouldn't even need to sell a physical patch. They could just update the firmware to bypass the chip authentication if they really wanted to allow customers to use more coils. It'd be free and require no cable doctoring and would cost ML $0 in manufacturing costs. They could still charge $200 for that probably if they wanted to and make even more profit.

But then we are right back to square one wondering why instead they wouldn't simply license a code to a 3rd party to build coils and allow that code in a firmware update rather than disabling their code altogether, the manufacturers would pay for the license instead of the customers. And the snake just eats it's tail again leading us around an endless circle of wondering why this or that isn't happening.

The GPZ was designed for firmware updates and coil upgrades yet they appear to have no desire to let either of them happen and no desire to tell us why. Some larger piece of the puzzle is clearly missing that altered business road maps, and which we as general public are not privy to.

• Like 4