Equinox 800 Finds Gold Coin!

My first Gold Coin!

I was working my way back to the truck today while hunting an early 1900s city park when the unimaginable happened.. I had about 5 minuets left to hunt and got a nice solid, deeper sounding 18-19..  I had pulled Indian Head cents out of this area of the park before, and I’ve had a couple on the Equinox bounce down and touch this VDI region in the past, so I thought I might be on to either an Indian or very early Wheat cent..  Little did I know my Indian would turn out to be a 1910 Indian Half Eagle Gold Coin!

When I first opened the plug I went down about 5” and found a small piece of junk.. Its an old snap cover or something unrecognizable..  I put the plug back together and and gave it another sweep figuring the target I pulled didn’t really match the signal.. Back came the solid 18-19 signal, only better.

I reopened the plug and started scooping out the dirt when a nice chunk of round gold appears in the hole!  It looked good, but without my readers on, and being fooled a million times in the past by gold foil and such, I wasn’t sure.. It looked good enough to get my heart racing..  I don’t normally talk out loud to myself, but I blurt out to who I don’t know.. “You Better Not Be F***ing With Me!!” I put on my glasses, picked it up and instantly felt the weight.. I then knew it was gold! To say I was shell shocked is an understatement..

I don’t consider this area to have great potential for a gold coin, so I never really thought I would  find one..  Thankfully, I thought wrong..

Equinox 800 - Park 1 - 50 Tones - Recovery 4 - Iron Bias 3  Approximate  depth 7”..

Bryan

8DAAE259-3C87-467A-B29E-1FF353AAF273.jpeg

0F8CDD8D-A9E4-40EA-88B6-F2DD807A1495.jpeg

10070441-B2A4-4102-ACDE-B4361971CB7C.jpeg

B73E42F5-4728-4E3A-879B-E88550CA0E05.jpeg

A1F9B218-374E-41D4-B423-B11A3AD3EBC3.jpeg

78A13A94-687D-4462-AD1C-842DBA718DD7.jpeg

Fantastic!

Mitchel

That is so cool Bryan...you earned that one with all your intensive coin hunting...that could have easily been a zinc penny with those TID's...congrats!

strick 

So how many times over did that pay for your new detector?

Congratulations, Bryan!

27 minutes ago, strick said:

That is so cool Bryan...you earned that one with all your intensive coin hunting...that could have easily been a zinc penny with those TID's...congrats!

strick 

Ya Strick, I’ll be digging zincs the rest of my life now.. I usually only chase the deeper zinc signals unless I’m on a compacted ground or tree roots..

Thanks!

That is so awesome! I know you give a lot of credit to the Nox but you had to choose to dig it. The only problem you have now is topping it. I've been passing up those 2 numbers as they've always been junk. Time to go back. 

Wow, BIG CONGRATS!!  That's a memory you'll never forget, awesome!

Definitely seeing a trend, these things seem to LOVE gold, not a bad problem to have :biggrin:

Holy smokes Bryan!!!  That is awesome!!  What a beautiful piece of gold!  Congratulations!!  Tim