DolanDave

Who Makes The X-coils? Who Sells Them?

12 hours ago, Norvic said:

Who cares, if some think we are in X coils pocket as long as our pockets have weight. Really there is no debate, reviews are peoples opinion, some negative some positive. But if a private individual makes a review, respect it, accept it as their opinion with no agenda just the way they see it, it is not a debate, there is no need to attack the private individual for giving his honest appraisal.

Firstly that is not what DP is about, I`ve been here long enough to respect that, this is the one forum that frowns on disrespect, that principle puts it way above most others.

Everyone has an agenda, the agenda can be as simple as sharing your gold finds or more sinister, that is the way of human nature and why most of us have a highly developed BS meter!

Human nature also does not like to hear the negative aspects of things especially if it puts a dampening on something you’ve hung your pride on like a new car, new boat, job, favourite metal detector or even God forbid a new coil (lets not even mention Politics here!!).

Now to keep on topic with this thread I was in contact with the manufacturer a few days ago and asked him a few questions about which coils are proving most popular for his orders here in Australia and his reply to me was interesting. Firstly by far and away the MOST supplied coils are the traditional wound DOD coils and not the Spiral wound ones and secondly most of the larger coils have been fitted with the mod to help prevent the ferrite noise which is a really good thing, thankfully he listened to my feedback on that issue (and obviously the importer took full advantage of that feedback as well!). Tradional wound coils are a LOT lighter than the Spiral wound coils so the impost of the Mod is not too detrimental.

What was most interesting was his comment about the performance feedback coming in from early adopters using these coils, he and I were very surprised by the performance comments because the traditional wound coils are not really any better performance wise than the Minelab coils except for size and shape, so he, and I agree, have put the improvements down to the size options difference. In all my testing the standard type wound coils didn’t seem much different other than the obvious electronic differences in favour of the ML coils (Saturation and touch sensitivity in General/Difficult differences and also not quite balancing out the Ferrite), there is however a very large and obvious difference in the weight which is a God send to users.

I still stand by all the comments I’ve made on this subject as inflamed as it got at times and hope that users can appreciate the negatives without any of use getting our prides too bent out of shape. 🤣

JP

• Like 9

I just think the X-coils are unlikely to get much if any dealer promotion as they aren't sold through traditional dealers.  They're relying on word of mouth from users.  Success using that method requires users like their coils and tell their friends and peers about them.  That's why I keep saying the more users the better, then a real good number of people can share their experience good or bad.

Minelab's answer to the X-coils maybe to make more coils, then it's a win for everybody.

That's a good post JP, but makes you wonder even more why Minelab never made them, especially when people were under the impression from early Minelab marketing that when they bought a GPZ that it would have a small coil option in the near future.

• Like 2

“What was most interesting was his comment about the performance feedback coming in from early adopters using these coils, he and I were very surprised by the performance comments because the traditional wound coils are not really any better performance wise than the Minelab coils except for size and shape, so he, and I agree, have put the improvements down to the size options difference.”

^ Are these $1,000 coils? 🤔

Its also human nature to adhere to assumptive scepticism! We are buggers!

2 hours ago, AussieDigs said:

^ Are these $1,000 coils? 🤔

GPZ coils are expensive, I guess everything GPZ is expensive... 🙂

Here is the price of the 19" Minelab coil

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpz-19-metal-detector-coil

• Like 1

We do have 'evidence' that some detectorists are finding gold on patches that had stopped producing.  That 'evidence' is compelling us to purchase no matter if the coil is 'proper' or 'improper' in its performance based upon all previous coils.  Surely some of this found gold was 'missed' gold because it was not swung over before but we also have to believe that some of the nuggets are now visible to these new coils and new settings just because it is different.

One just has to think of the doctor who told other doctors about the cure for stomach ulcers for many years before it was generally adopted that the cause was bacterial.  Now the treatments are largely antibiotics rather than antacids!  I also think of the Fosbury Flop when high jumping.  It changed high jumping forever in a way similar to what PI machines did for nugget hunting.  Z technology has taken nugget detecting down a different path also.

The fact that a new detector or a new coil makes nuggets visible in the 'right way' or the 'wrong way' is really a secondary concern to a purist like Norvic and perhaps Dolan Dave.  We just want more nuggets and meteorites and if we can get them from the wrong coil at the right time then we're a buyer.

Mitchel

• Like 4

Going back in the 80s, I`d just spent a few very successful  days in deep (for that era) ground with a Dtek 14" Concentric on an A2B, anyway that night decided to attend the van parks nightly sit around the camp fire and share my opinion of this coil. Announced that I`d had good success with the newly purchased Dtek coil, was asked by one patronising individual to show or no believe, I just answered I don`t show. Said individual then started talking of his experiences and generally shouted me down. No skin off my nose as the weight in the pocket was real, but first and last time I bothered with such gatherings. 

It is for this reason I asked Steve a few weeks back to consider including coil reviews whether positive or negative in the Detector review database, to just simply allow people to judge quietly and as said before we are all over 12 thus can make our own minds up. I`ve given my opinions on the X coils as a private individual, each one I have once, Steve has removed the nuisance posts from my thread as I requested, because that is what DP is about, I`m happy with that, and will keep on reviewing on DP.

Whoops Jasong has replied, but I`ll send, keen as to see Jasongs review.

• Like 6

I'm not about to argue with JP, I just ignore his posts

• Like 2

Jason, what did you do with regards to fashioning a patch lead? 

Since several people all seem determined to ignore several other people or variously have problems with what others are posting then read this...

How To Ignore Users On The Forum

• Like 4