Two Unexpected, But Very Welcome Coins!!😁

The weather has been slightly cooler, and dryer here this week! (85 with about 75% humidity!) And my sore foot is manageable now! So yesterday morning I went on a sunrise beach hunt with the Nox, and 11" coil! Conditions were very sanded in, and I only found a few coins, a junk earring, and a lead weight; among the usual junk items! I didn't stay long, as I wanted to do a park hunt too, and not reinjure my foot!

I didn't actually get to do the park hunt till about 4pm today! And decided to use the Vanquish and the V8 coil! I was really only wanting to dig some shallow recent drops of quarters and dimes, on the edges of the park's "weekend soccer field", in a small area, before dark! and avoid most of the trash that is there! It's not very groomed, and is full of short weeds and various grasses! When I drive by, I see the players and family's gather, like clockwork, every weekend! So there is generally a constant supply of easy clad to find, under the nearby trees, every few months! 

Today was really no different than any other day I've been there, other than the detector and coil I used this time! I really enjoy the V8 coil for obvious reasons, and in no time I had a decent amount of clad! I had a few iffy targets that I kept track of,  and went back around to, after the initial run through! A few were mult-coin spills of a quarter or dime, mixed with some pennies, and maybe an additional quarter or dime! Those were found rechecking the hole, and I knew by the V8's response, that there were others nearby!

One particular target gave me some aggravation, as it was under some weed block, and there was also a mat of small roots to dig thru! This was in a dug out area of one of those exercise stations! I initially got a very clipped "quarter" signal on my first pass, and came back to it later, when the quarter signals got to be fewer!

So back to it a second time, and not wanting to dig a big hole, it took a while to locate some targets through the obstacles, and small hole! I knew I had some iron mixed in, when the first pinpoint was a rusty nail! These "targets" were roughly about 5 inches down, and being a "dugout" area, actually got me down about 10-12 inches below the sod area! So detect, dig, pinpoint, a few times, and finally locate the "Beautiful Sight" of my dodgy target! A Bright Smiling 1951 Silver Rosie! 😃 Very satisfying, as the only silver I've found here before, was a nice money clip, and some cheaper jewelry! The silver coins where "all" vacuumed up years ago, and any left have gotten deeper, or totally out of reach!!

My main theory though, is that all the rusty nails had masked this one! And with my small V8 coil, and the added depth I was able to get, in this "low" spot! I found one of the few that were missed!

When I got home and washed off my coins, and set them out to dry and examine! I got another nice little surprise, in the few pennies I picked up! A 1920 Wheatie  (And yes, looks like i nailed it!! 😔) That was probably even more rare here, as it predates the park by about 30 years! 

So, nothing earth shattering by most of the standards of what you all find elsewhere! But for my area, and the start of detecting season here, this is about as good as it gets! Short of private permissions, which are hard to come by here!!

The pictures include my previous day's beach finds in the upper right! All the crusty nails where around the immediate area of the Rosie! And the Wheatie is near the Rosie in the picture! I have no clue which hole that came from! That was just a bonus!!👍👍

20211001_232518.jpg

20211001_232417.jpg

20211001_214850.jpg

20211001_214752.jpg

• The title was changed to Two Unexpected, But Very Welcome Coins!!😁

Great work on the coins and glad that you were able to save them.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Good going Joe! I've dug mercs and Reales but never a stinkin' Roosevelt. 🤬 Great amount of clad too. 👍

Great job, Joe. Looks like a lot of digging so you deserved the two collectables, I think.😎

Thanks for sharing. And by the way.... a man can't own enough nails.😉 May be you can sell them on a card-board?? (handcrafted nailboardtest $$ 🤑)

Locator,

Funny you mention the nails!!

When I finally got the Rosie out, and kept looking for more, I couldn't help but think that this was almost a classic Monte's nailboard setup in 3D!!

If it hadn't been for the weed block, and roots, I would think that i was being "Punked" by some joker detectorist!!!🤣👍👍

Nice work Joe and I'm glad your foot is feeling better..those nails are kinda weird looking with the belly in the middle of them...looking forward to more of your finds!

strick

Nice looking rosie! I don't think there are more out of range, more likely just snagged up back in the day.

Great finds and with the Vanquish 540 with its supposedly average to below average performance in iron. 

"Very satisfying, as the only silver I've found here before, was a nice money clip, and some cheaper jewelry! The silver coins where "all" vacuumed up years ago, and any left have gotten deeper, or totally out of reach!!"

I know you didn't ask but your hunt results sound very promising to me. Finding a 1920 wheat and a 1951 Rosie in a turf area with a Vanquish would definitely inspire me to keep hunting those deep half and half iffy targets, especially with your Equinox in both Park modes with iron bias on 0 or 1 at the most, recovery speed on 3 to 5 and some or all of the iron target IDs accepted. Crank up the sensitivity until it gets unstable then back off a bit and noise cancel. Ground balance if you need to also. Hunt it multiple times in different modes and directions and keep finding those oldies.

Hope your foot feels better...........wish mine would😪

Joe, good post, I'm glad you've got a Vanquish now, I must be out of the loop as I didn't know that.  If only the Equinox had the Vanquish coils 🙂 I'm sure in some circumstances what makes me do better with the Vanquish than the Nox is the elliptical coils.

I've never even used my V8 coil other than for testing on gold nuggets and some rudimentary depth tests in comparison to other detectors and coils.  I should fire it up some time and see how it really goes.

I'm been so slack on posts lately and you've inspired me to get my act into gear, it's not that I'm not out finding stuff, I just haven't posted about it.

Thanks for your post, and good work on the silver as I know how much harder silver is to find in your neck of the woods and I'm glad your trotter is getting better.