Sometimes A Full Pouch Is Good Enough

I've been reimmersed in metal detecting for about 3 years now and sometimes I still feel like a beginner, specially when I see some of the amazing and mind-blowing finds that other more experienced detectorists make. Now I've found some cool things, but I always feel like I still have a long way to go to get to the next level. At first I thought it was the machine so I got two of the nicest machines I could afford. I quickly learned it was not the machines.

Then I thought, well it must just be me, so I deep-dived into each machine I had and tried to learn all the ins and out I could and detected evey chance I got. I'm still learning, but I feel much more comfortable with my machines than ever, so I thought well maybe it's not me.

Normally, I plod around in my local parks close to me to detect which were mostly built in the 1980s, so there's a limited amount and date range of articles to be found there. Fortunately, this year I've been able to go to some historic locations to detect and have found some amazing things and have begun to realize, as Realtors say, it's all about location, location, location.

I was recently lamenting to one of my much more experienced detecting friends, saying how I envied him for his experience and all the wonderful things he has found. I had FE (Finds Envy).

To my surprise, he said he envied me! I couldn't even image why. He said that he saw how excited I got everytime I found something that I had never found before and that I was getting to experience my "firsts" of so many finds to come. He said that all of his firsts were behind him now and he missed getting that level of excitement out of each find.

That put everything in perspective for me and I remembered that I got into metal detecting for fun of being outdoors, going to new places, and the thrill of possibly finding something new or long lost. This put me back on the path and empowered me to ask for my first permission. I have driven my a large church in my area several times on my way to detect in nearby parks. A few days ago I noticed they had a carnival set up on their grounds and had rides, booths, food, a beer tent, and concerts going on. So on the day after the event ended I decided to go see if I could get permission to detect the carnival grounds. As my father used to say, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained". I went into the church office asked the manager if it would be okay to detect the carnival area. Imagine my amazement when he replied, "Sure that's fine just be careful around the large equipment". He then asked if would mind looking for a lost necklace while I was out there that a family had reported to them. I told him that I'd be happy to.

As I got out to the field, all of the rides and heavy equipment had been trucked away, leaving a clear field of play. I fired up the Deus II and began the search. I started hitting good signals right away and cleared a whole lot of trash in the process. I gridded the area of the rides as that was supposed to be where the necklace was lost. As I took a short lunch break, the manager came out and told me that there had been other activities in the grassy areas and I should check those as well. So after clearing the carnival area, I searched all the lawn areas as well. By the end of the hunt, I could feel the weight of my pouch which was unusually heavy. Unfortunately, I didn't find the lost necklace, but I did find over 90 coins and tokens, some junk jewelry, and a nice Stainless Steel ring. I showed my finds to the office manager and he was amazed at the amount of stuff I found and trash that I cleared and I gave him the ring in case he could find the owner. He was most appreciative and said that the next time they had an outdoor event, he would ask me back to search the grounds again.

So while my finds were nothing extraordinary, my FE (Finds Envy) has turned to FP (Full Pouch) and I'm good with that! 😎

SGCC-Finds-1.JPEG

SGCC-Finds-2.JPEG

IMG_9408.JPEG

Some of the unsorted trash...

SGCC-Junk-1.JPEG

Some of the more ineresting trash... That D2 sure loves round objects!

SGCC-Junk-2.JPEG

Quite an assortment and a good experience overall. 
We all need to adjust our outlook now and again. Keep it real, keep it fun.

thanks for all your posts.

Looks like a lot of digging on that hunt, but it also looks like you came up with a couple of pieces of gold in that mess.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe.

That is what it is all about..... Having fun!  Nice hunt and I think you have a new place to detect. Sometimes conversations with people that let you hunt turn into other permissions when they ask their friends if you could hunt there as well.

Your new outlook has already paid off  !

The invites back should have less junk cuz "somebody" already cleared it out.....😏

Now get a few more permissions like that one and you'll be a busy detector with more places to hunt . 

How many more churches around ? You now have a good reference to mention ...

What a great day of detecting. Well done.