Devil's Tongue Park Probe Hunt At A Campground

This is something for everyone, for the people new to this hobby right up to the seasoned who may be on the fence about deciding whether to invest a small amount of money in @kac's Devil's Tongue Park Probe.

Spent last weekend at one of my favorite campgrounds, but the remnants of Ian kept us ducking, I only got out twice in 4 days but wanted to re-check the tot lots and courts where I got quite a bit last time. Turns out I did a pretty good job. 😀 There was literally nothing in any of those spots I hunted but two fresh drops, a quarter and a dime. 

I didn't bring my Predator shovel with me, the first day I got there the ground was dry after about a month of no rain, and would have been both impossible and messy to dig. Instead I threw the Park Probe in with my gear and had my small poly hand digger, which is great for sand and pinpointing. I brought only the Equinox for a detector.

I focused on an entertainment field with a trailer that becomes a stage. It's about 2 acres, and loaded with pull tabs and bottle caps. I wanted to see how many coins I could get with limited time and equipment.

BTW the band was pretty good. 😀20221001_191437.thumb.jpg.7486e79167fcc8015a80cb9f4310035a.jpg

I used the Park Probe for about 2-3 hours in two days, one dry and one after 2"+ rain fell. I found it easy to use in all conditions, and literally left no trace.20221003_192918.thumb.jpg.9b84a181347295bd6bb0a19f55c2e627.jpg

Ended up with 42 coins, last year I pulled about 300 out of this campground, so I didn't expect even that many. Oldest was a 1967 dime, this place was established in the 1970s, so no silver. I think the oldest quarter ever from here was a 1965. 🤬 Also dug a key and a 1950s lipstick tube, which was strange to find here.

Trash day 1:20220930_112305.thumb.jpg.97165e3f19787377533ad1dc3090e878.jpg

And day 2:20221001_183329.thumb.jpg.ddf50495e6313ab87bf9c20f0d997070.jpg

Not much. Bottle caps were all sight picks. In digging all the pull tabs, I found after a while if I lifted the detector a bit and the signal disappeared, I should dig it, but I dug pull tabs anyway. That produced the cheap jewelry:20221003_192836.thumb.jpg.71e2e90298bd9cef8e56d27e35632941.jpg

The most interesting thing is the tiny owl, it's heavy and was a 5, but appears to be plated. All stones are fake.  The two rings, one I suspect is from a doll, are aluminum with crystals. Both were pull tab signals that disappeared upon lifting the coil about 5". Gold will do the same thing as opposed to foil, it's a trick not a recommendation.

The penny is there for scale, this stuff is all small which is the forte of the Equinox, although I've found the D2 is also no slouch.

Everything was popped out with the Park Probe. I cannot emphasize enough how useful this tool is. Some of the coins were 6" down, about the depth mine can go.20221003_194827.thumb.jpg.9ef824425acfd23d1011a7bb10e74242.jpg

I love this tool. I strongly recommend giving it a shot of WD-40 every time you are done, this one has dug a lot of stuff now and still looks new. It's unobtrusive and should calm the fears of any grounds keeper. 🙂

Thanks Kac! 👍

Nicely done Bob, Love the little owl. It reminds me of the owl in the movie Clash of the Titans. I believe the owls name was Bubo or something like that. Ken does make some really durable tools that work really well. I know you have been on a tear with the costume jewelry but I smell gold in your future. Keep at it, That was a great post.

10 hours ago, dogodog said:

I smell gold in your future.

Haha, maybe next year. I'm done after this coming weekend with anything but the fields, you should come down with your stick and pinpointer. 😁

Here's my favorite disappointment of the year found on a beach hunt recently:20220926_213119.thumb.jpg.5d6ec54da6a86d448b23e395ede6e7cd.jpg20220926_171910.thumb.jpg.5eeb3ea12fb7183d7ba1f1521a0e7c93.jpg

Total honker but sadly tungsten carbide. Wow these things get ya! The heart attack ended quickly when I read the hallmarks 🤣

I did get the 2 14k rings earlier this year tho. 🤔 I'll take it.

That tungsten ring really looks good for a junker. Middle is pretty cool looking. All the kiddie bling your about due for a good one.

Nice haul Bob! I still say, that place has not given you your best find yet! Just a matter of time, and maybe another detector, and/or frequency shift! And getting the coil over the "right" spot!!🍀💍  And personally, I like titanium rings; may not be as valuable, but definitely more fashionable! And you've got a good collection going!😁

Also just a reminder for others, Ken can custom make longer lengths of the park probe! I have an original, and a "footlong" as I call it! He can also make the tip to either a straight blade, or the curved! I prefer the curved footlong myself!! Works better in my types of soil! IMO!!👍👍

Great hunting with the different soil conditions, I would like to know which day produced more good items.

Seems like I have had better luck with a moist soil.

Loved the owl.

5 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunting with the different soil conditions, I would like to know which day produced more good items.

Seems like I have had better luck with a moist soil.

Loved the owl.

Thanks VL!

It was pretty even, 20 coins the first day and 22 the next. The first day I spent less time in the field.

I got the owl and the broken snake ring the first day. Despite the dry, the detector seemed more accurate. When it was wet, it seemed to find more deep stuff.

Outta likes but tried to give a few on this thread !

Good lookin' haul  !  I'd recc re-baiting the traps !🤪

My bud down in Smithfield  just told me the sun has returned in your neck of the woods !!!   Ian was the gift that kept on giving...

2 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Outta likes but tried to give a few on this thread !

Good lookin' haul  !  I'd recc re-baiting the traps !🤪

My bud down in Smithfield  just told me the sun has returned in your neck of the woods !!!   Ian was the gift that kept on giving...

Thanks RVP!

I'm hoping the traps were re-baited a bit, but that pesky storm hung around here from Friday to yesterday morning. Sun didn't come out until yesterday evening. We got over 7" of rain in 5 days.

Heading back there, big fall festival. It's going to warm up into the 70s. Now the ground is saturated I'll be bringing my Predator shovel. 😈