Thanks Steve, great finds and a well told story, I felt like I was there with you. I feel like jumping on a plane right now! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you know steve, there is a book in you fighting to get out.😉

• Like 6

This is my first post on this forum . I have been a long time lurker and a non posting member for a while . Just had to post after reading Steve's brilliant post , love the pics too !  Steve , you deserve every wonderful find just for running such a brilliant , decent forum . It's a total credit to you and a breath of fresh air compared to so many other forums . Your trip description makes me feel like grabbing the Nox and booking a trip to the Old Dart right now! As you described though there is a bit more involved than just getting an air ticket . Keep up the great work and I hope there is a gold coin waiting for you on your next trip . All the best from the land down under .

• Like 8

Amazing finds, Steve. A trip like that is on my bucket list and I think you just convinced me to make it happen.

Joe

• Thanks 1

Awesome gold coins and sheet. Great relics Steve. And WOW! Your Celtic gold is AMAZING! Good for you! 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hunterjunk said:

This is my first post on this forum . I have been a long time lurker and a non posting member for a while . Just had to post after reading Steve's brilliant post , love the pics too !  Steve , you deserve every wonderful find just for running such a brilliant , decent forum . It's a total credit to you and a breath of fresh air compared to so many other forums . Your trip description makes me feel like grabbing the Nox and booking a trip to the Old Dart right now! As you described though there is a bit more involved than just getting an air ticket . Keep up the great work and I hope there is a gold coin waiting for you on your next trip . All the best from the land down under .

Thanks Hunterjack, it makes me feel good to know the story is inspiring some people. I basically just love what I do and consider myself to be incredibly fortunate to have been born when and where I was. I got started when detecting was is its infancy and have seen it grow far beyond anything anyone might have imagined 50 years ago. It is very gratifying to have had at least a tiny influence on the technology by gently nudging for decades. It has led me to friends and adventure around the world, and as a dealer for many years my basic livelihood. If a person is blessed by doing what they love then I am blessed indeed. It helps to have a wonderful wife who sends me out for gold and won't let me come home unless I find some!

Thanks again everyone posting now and coming up. Sharing the story is almost as fun as living it and it will give me memories to look back on many years from now. I highly recommend people takes lots of photos and keep a journal. I am so glad I did all these years.

I have a lot of photos that would have been too much for the main post but will add them separately tomorrow. Got some honey-dos to attend to now!

• Like 3

Thanks Steve.. that's pretty awesome.  You probably could've worn that piece of gold out like an earring.. lol.. looks like something kids wear these days!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Condor
      I'm late getting out week 4, but unfortunately there wasn't much to report.  We've had wind, then some wind & rain, then some really fine days.  We lost a day here and there between weather, then the meeting with Dave on the X-Coil.  We had 2 long days at the very southern end of the lease and did a great deal of exploring.  We found a few crumbs.  Dennis actually found 12 nuggets that weighed a total of 1.2 grams.  It was enough to keep us busy and always thinking we were one coil swing away from a really good strike.  We just couldn't get that coil over the big stuff.
      I'm using our backup GPX5000 with the 14X9 Coiltek Elite coil while I'm waiting for my Patch Lead to be completed.   I was amazed at how quiet that machine can be.  I cranked up the RX and cranked down the Stabilizer just so I could hear some noise.  I found 3 tiny crumbs, 1 of them in one of my own boot scrapes from last week.  Clearly, the 5000 can find tiny gold.  My Patch Lead is delayed for another week, apparently one of the 5-pin connecter screws twisted off during reassembly.  I'm satisfied I'm not missing much if anything with the 5000, but I really want to get that 17" X-Coil in motion.
      We're making our move to a new lease tomorrow so we've got a full day of packing and hauling Camp Yank.  The flies remain a constant distraction during midday.  I bring out the bug hood the minute one dive bombs my eyes or nose.  They are persistent little buggers,   Dennis is a lot more tolerant.
      Paul made it back safe and sound.  He's chomping at the bit to get some of this $1400 an oz gold out of the ground.  Their backhoe is up and running again, so good things should start happening soon for their team.
      Sorry for the short and relatively uneventful report.  Maybe next week, it's all about the possibilities not the probabilities that keeps us swinging those detectors.  

• By IdahoPeg
      Been back from wintering in Florida for over a month, and the weather finally got nice so headed to northern Nevada to meet up with some friends and nugget hunt. I got there a day before the others, so took off on the quad to look for new spots. Love the freedom the atv gives me out there, and the scenery is great!

I explored some higher ravines and washes, and actually got a nice little .68g nugget a couple inches down at the edge of a wash. Unfortunately, after quite a few hours hitting the area pretty hard, that was the lone piece.
      We looked for new patches about 60-70% of the next week, and hit a couple old ones the rest of the time. Lots of skunked days. I did get 3 more pieces at a pounded patch, and another while detecting an alluvial fan off the mountains for the first time....Chet got one there too, but the gold was so scattered and random...no patches to be found. While wandering around I noticed this little guy....he wasn’t shy at all, jumped from rock to bush, and waited patiently for me to turn my phone on to get his pic.

Here’s my take for the trip....much smaller than usual for my Nevada outings. Very tough hunting, but a great time anyway. Enjoyed some delicious meals with the guys(Tom is an incredible camp chef!), Chet had repaired and souped up my dry washer over the winter so it’s ready for action up at the cabin, and George found some amazing crystals and gave me a couple cool ones. Brian even made a cameo appearance, and as usual found some nice gold in a short time!

So the sun sets on another detecting adventure....can’t wait for the next one!

• By Condor
      Tough sledding out here in WA.  We've put in a lot of miles exploring along the "line of strike" gold producing zone.  We generally start from old Drill Site roads or old pushes and do a 1/4 mile up and back grid along the likely areas.  The few we're finding are where weathering has exposed deeper ground on the old pushes, plus the Z 7000 can find tiny gold the original detectors missed.  They didn't miss much based on our return so far. 
      Our hearts were thumping yesterday when I got a deep low tone way down in the caprock.  Luckily Nurse Paul was nearby and brought over the jackhammer.  Paul put in a yeoman's effort on the hammer, Dennis and I traded off digging out the hole.  We waved over the hole with everything we had, GPX, GPZ and 2300, and with the exception of the 2300 it all sounded good, but it just never improved even after we were down over a foot.  Finally even the 2300 was giving us a signal and we gave up for the evening.  Paul went back this morning and finally pulled out some kind of hot rock, the story is much more detailed, but that's the jist.  No doubt Paul has his version of events.
      The weather has turned nasty, threatening rain and gusty winds.  Camp Yank took some damage from the wind, turned over the prep table for cooking.  Pots, pans, plates and everything associated got dumped into the dirt.  Paul cleaned it up considerably, but I think he left some soap on my dinner plate, cuz I'm feeling a bit puny this morning.  We have the gazebo anchored on each end with an ATV to keep it from blowing away.  
      Dennis gold photo is his cumulative, mine shows this weeks finds only.  It's just a matter of time till we hit a big one.
      Flies continue to be a menace, they just don't quit.  They're having a tough time today with these gusty winds, but they'll find a way.

• By klunker
      This is from a local news report.
        A local prospector known as Sourdough Scott is being investigated for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Not only a single child but it appears an entire forth grade class may have been involved. The local police claim to have surveillance photos of Sourdough Scott teaching several young children about prospecting , local history and then shamelessly showing them how to pan for gold.
       Many parents were understandably very upset." I have spent thousands of dollars on video games and a big screen T.V.", said Mrs. Adit," but now all my child wants to do is play outside with a $5.00 gold pan. What's a mother to do". It has also been reported that a rogue gang of forth grade children, who call themselves "The Company" Turned on all of the neighborhood outside faucets and sprinklers then channeled the water at a one half percent grade for several thousand feet South of town and began washing off an entire vacant lot. It yielded $67.95 per cubic yard in gold with a fair showing of silver and a trace of platinum. 2000 cubic yard were washed with 150.000 yards remaining. (investors wanted). 
       Sourdough Scott has apparently taken flight to avoid prosecution and could not be reached for comment.
      NEWS UPDATE
       This report may have been based on some poor  information by an unreliable source.Namely a miscreant prospector referred to as Klunker. We now know that this was a scheduled activity for the  local forth grade class and Mr. Sourdough Scott took an entire day off during his busiest time of year to assist with an annual Living History Program for the school. Though Mr. Sourdough Scott doesn't even have kids he works with them in an exceptionally expert fashion.
    • By Condor
      We're still getting dialed in for the WA conditions.  In many places we can run the GPZ on High Yield, Difficult, with a Sens between 10 and 15.  We've hit some old patches that have been scraped, then trying to venture out around them to see if the patch might continue.  These places have been detected pretty well, all have dig holes scattered through them.  We've had some minor success, I hit a 3 gram piece right off the go, from there it's been nothing but tiddler scraps.  Surprisingly small pieces that Difficult mode sings out on them.  All very shallow though.
      The weather is crazy.  Cold mornings needing a hoodie, then warming up to weather more suitable for shorts.  We've seen a few 'roos and a couple Emus, other than that it's just flies and more flies. We've tried some cream they use for the horses, seems to last an hour or so then the  flies are back with a vengeance.  The quit just before sundown and don't come back till it starts to warm up in the morning.  Just part of the challenge.
      Our totals to date.  Dennis had a couple day headstart, but I'm trying to catch up.

• By jrbeatty
      NASA’s Mars 2020 will land in Jezero Crater, pictured here. The image was taken by instruments on NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which regularly takes images of potential landing sites for future missions.
      On ancient Mars, water carved channels and transported sediments to form fans and deltas within lake basins. Examination of spectral data acquired from orbit show that some of these sediments have minerals that indicate chemical alteration by water. The sediments contain clays and carbonates (courtesyNASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU/WUWT)
      Can't wait to wave a coil over those outwash gravel deposits. 
      At least there's no BB's and rusty nails, could be a few metallic meteorites though - - -
      Luckily, I've got an old hot air balloon under the house somewhere - and warm winter woolies, so I'll see all you good people later. Wish me luck - - -
      I offered to take Reg along on the expedition - but he declined the invitation - can't for the life of me understand why? Not like him at all  ;<)